Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 02:48:17 pm

Author Topic: tips for 1/2 chem?  (Read 484 times)  Share 

bridiew

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
tips for 1/2 chem?
« on: August 01, 2020, 05:34:23 pm »
+1
Hi everyone
Basically I'm in yr10 and selecting my subjects for next year. I'm hoping to get into medicine so obviously chem is going to be one of my subjects, and I was just wondering if you guys have any tips/recommendations that would help?
I've gathered the subject is pretty hard and noticed a lot of people tend to drop it.
I am confident in saying that science is my strong point and I do enjoy it; however, I'm no genius.
So yeah, if you guys have any tips on chem and study methods for it, I'd love to hear them!

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: tips for 1/2 chem?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 06:53:36 pm »
+9
Hello!

VCE Chemistry 1/2 is a great subject and is definitely one of my favourites! While the subject isn't "easy" it is not as hard as some people make it out to be and it is definitely possible to achieve great marks if you are "no genius".

General tips and recommendations:
- Understand rather than memorise. Most questions require applications of concepts that you learn.
- Don't write many notes. My school gave us all the notes we need so I focussed on questions to revise
- Small amounts of consistent work beats cramming. Trust me on this one.
- Keep all of your notes, handouts, tests etc. nice and organised (this is key to success in any subject!)
- Read the question! (my greatest weakness)
- Have a good relationship with your teacher! This is so important as they will be able to help you succeed.
- Also have a good relationship with some people in your class that you can productively study with and ask questions. This is so underrated for any subject but it has legit helped me get better marks and be more motivated!

Specific Chem Tips:
- Two things I found important from year 10 chemistry is balancing equations and ionic compounds. These are retaught but a foundation is helpful
- Lots of concepts require solid foundations of previous concepts. It is important to have a nice foundation of atomic theory, bonding and stoichiometry (quantitative chemistry)
- There is a research assignment for AOS 3. Choose a topic that interests you and isn't too difficult as you are not required explain year 12/uni level concepts. I personally picked crude oil and its uses
- Learn sig figs early. You will love yourself for this.
- Try and memorise your "valencies" as soon as possible as they are applicable in lots of topics.

I hope this helped!

Eloise  :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university