Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:16:38 pm

Author Topic: Escaping the VCE bubble  (Read 850 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Escaping the VCE bubble
« on: March 19, 2019, 08:10:30 pm »
Are they possible (especially in Year 12)? How often should I take them? How should I approach them?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 03:01:38 pm by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

cooldude123

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +26
Re: Guilt-free study breaks
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 09:49:13 pm »
+4
Are they possible (especially in Year 12)? How often should I take them? How should I approach them?

Yes study breaks are definitely possible in Year 12 and beyond (and something you should totally do!) and (almost paradoxically) I've found it helped me a lot during VCE to keep on track. I personally used the Pomodoro method especially nearing SAC and exam time - basically study for 25 mins then force yourself to take a 5 minute break, and do this for 3-4 cycles before taking a longer break. Checking in with yourself to make sure you're not just zoning out/burning out from too much in one go is also super important (Year 12 is pretty stressful sometimes!)

It made things easier in terms of coping with the amount of material to study - and it just improved my productivity/endurance for those longer exams.

In terms of longer breaks (like an afternoon off) - those are definitely valuable too. It's always good to catch up with friends or play some music or do whatever that destresses you after a long week studying.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 09:51:18 pm by cooldude123 »
VCE Class of 2015

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: Guilt-free study breaks
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 11:40:26 am »
Thanks cooldude!

There are often days where I've decided to take a "full day off studying", but can't seem to take my mind off my studies no matter how hard I try. For example, I still look at ATARNotes on my 'days off'. By the end of a day like this, it's like I never took a break at all, as I spent my time thinking about studying, not so much actually studying.

EDIT: So how do people take their mind off studying?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 12:02:17 am by JR_StudyEd »
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
Re: Escaping the VCE bubble
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 04:57:38 pm »
This calls for a necessary bump!

Look, I have no real outlet from studying other than recreational internet usage. And I struggle to get myself out of the house without adult help (like psychologically, not physically). I’ve changed the thread title as well, if you haven’t already noticed. VCE, to the average Year 12 student, seems inescapable, following you around everywhere you go. How can I escape the seemingly impenetrable ‘bubble’ of VCE?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Escaping the VCE bubble
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:16:23 pm »
This calls for a necessary bump!

Look, I have no real outlet from studying other than recreational internet usage. And I struggle to get myself out of the house without adult help (like psychologically, not physically). I’ve changed the thread title as well, if you haven’t already noticed. VCE, to the average Year 12 student, seems inescapable, following you around everywhere you go. How can I escape the seemingly impenetrable ‘bubble’ of VCE?
Have you got any hobbies or extracurricular activities that you could try or restart? Do you do any exercise beyond the compulsory stuff? How about creative activities? These are just ideas, so you don’t have to strictly abide by these if they don’t sit right with you. Perhaps you could try to think of something that interests you and will give you the break you need, and it’ll keep your mind off study, even for a little bit. :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:18:18 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread