Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:32:01 pm

Author Topic: Where do/did you work? Employment ideas for school/uni students.  (Read 6900 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Where do/did you work? Employment ideas for school/uni students.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:23:52 pm »
+5
Private Tutor
Mainly because Its really enjoyable since I like teaching and doesn't even feel like "work" also cbs getting a "real" job right.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:48:46 pm by Sine »

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 11:35:53 pm »
+7
Hospitality waitstaff (and cleaning, dishwashing): 2015

I needed money since I knew that I'll be moving out soon so I spoke to the manager at a cafe/restaurant (more like a cafe during the day and restaurant at night) and got a job there. It was really good experience, learning how to work with other people (who were really great) in a very busy environment. The money and food was decent as well. I still volunteer once a week at a social enterprise cafe, in case I want a waitstaff job on the holidays or something (not to mention that it is an awesome place).

Debating adjudicator: 2016-present

I mainly went into this because the hours are very flexible (I still work quite a lot of nights because I signed up for them but I don't get called up randomly in uni or when I'm doing something else unlike a lot of jobs), it was easy to get into (just a written test although in some states you have to do an oral as well) and the money is good (even if I work for one hour instead of two, I get paid for the entire night). Although it is fairly easy to get into (I passed the test with half a year of debating experience), you do get observed by senior adjudicators when you start out as well getting feedback from students throughout the year. It's not a difficult job, once I developed a metric for deciding debates which made explaining the outcome in a somewhat less subjective manner much easier. To some extent you get out what you put in, there are plenty of people who haven't touch anything debating related since high school and wing their adjudications, while there are others that try to give constructive feedback. In my opinion, it's pretty rewarding to be able to pass on your knowledge (especially when I learnt to debate quite recently in uni) to younger debaters. When teachers, students and parents thank you and compliment your adjudication, it makes up for the small minority of angry/somewhat rude teachers and unappreciative (those that would probably be happier/give you higher ratings if you put half the effort in and gave a 2-3 minute adjudication instead). I don't love this job because I've been doing it regularly for quite a while so it has lost a bit of its spark, but it obviously develops public speaking skills, performing under high scrutiny/accountability, being able to explain yourself, analysing arguments, being able to help kids develop some useful skills and meeting a lot of people.

Debating coach: 2016

I got this job after doing a doing a bit of schools judging and a bit of coaching at the uni. Its rewarding in the sense that you get to see the students' growth and explain concepts and develop skills in a far more in-depth manner than I do for school's judging. I only did it for a year because working at a predominantly anglo boys private school as a woman of colour can be challenging at times. I am still open to debating coaching on a regular basis, as I still do occasional sessions at various schools.

Editorial intern: 2017-present

I contributed a bit to this publication through letters to the editor and comments, managed to get in touch the editor and got an internship, researching, fact-checking, writing, pitching and a bit of editing. I feel like I'm learning way more than I'm contributing even though I'm being paid decent money.

I open to working in a regular (fixed hours) job again while I still can (until postgrads), especially now that I have very little schools debating stuff at this time of the year, writing or paid research/lab assistant roles are particularly appealing, although I don't mind retail or hospitality either.

EDIT: In case anyone is interested, needs/wants experience, passed the Maccas phase (if you didn't work during high school and find that most retail/hospo jobs are unwilling to employ non-high school students without experience), the social non-for-profit cafe (Kinfolk Cafe) I volunteer at in the city is really good with this things. You get thrown into the role quickly (you get one training session, there are also barista volunteer shifts now as well), it's a very busy cafe so it will give you good experience, everyone is really nice, the food is great, the manager is really good at giving references (even after a very few shifts, they know that many people need a job. They have been successful in helping homeless people, migrants, former prisoners, people with disabilities amongst many other people find employment in hospitality.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:02:41 am by appleandbee »
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:55 am »
+2
Omg yessss - this thread was just what I needed (currently hunting for a Christmas casual job). Huge thanks to everyone who has contributed. ;D ;D

On that note, does anybody have any ideas for places to apply to or advice for an 18 year old (graduating this year) finding a job (no 'real' work experience btw, just the one you do in year 10 - was too lazy during high school and now I'm regretting it  :'() I'm just applying to random places here and there online, but I honestly feel like I have no idea in what I'm doing.

OMG SAME! It's sort of a relief to know it's not just me...
I'm also graduating at the end of this year with literally zero 'retail experience'. I've legit just been handing my resume in to any store that has a 'hiring' sign on it. Hopefully we both get jobs by the end of the year :)

Another cool job, which a lot of people might forget about, is lifeguarding. Granted, you have to pay to get your qualifications, but it's worth it - you can get a lot of work over the summer, it's amazing pay, it's a very transportable job, etc. etc. :)
That's a cool suggestion. Have you ever worked as a lifeguard? If so could you tell us a little more about it? I'm interested but am not too sure where to start?

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 03:59:35 pm »
+3
That's a cool suggestion. Have you ever worked as a lifeguard? If so could you tell us a little more about it? I'm interested but am not too sure where to start?
Not personally, no, but a few really good friends are pool lifeguards so I've heard all about it :)
If you're interested (and above 16, as I believe this is the minimum required age), maybe head down to your local leisure centre/swimming pool and ask the people at the front desk! I'd also have a look at the advertisements online and see what the prerequisites are for application.

I'm not 100% certain as to whether it requires the Bronze Medallion, as I believe I heard somewhere that it changed not too long ago - I could be wrong, though. There's a certificate you have to do though, which involves all the practical components and all that :) Plus you will need level 2 first aid (though I think some courses provide this training as the whole package).

But yeah, you will have to be a fair swimmer, which makes sense :)

strawberries

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +416
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »
+8
fast food: 2013-2016
unlike many people, I probably wouldn't say it was a good experience for me. It's not that I didn't like my coworkers or anything, and yes, I did stay there a long time mainly cos $, but yeah, I hate being yelled at, I just can't deal with angry people, I'm just very slow at everything and it did make me a lot worse and less confident as a person. People do look down at them, but personally I found it an extremely difficult job?
If you want some $ you should definitely apply though. Just be prepared for it though.
retail sales: 2017-
only got this job not long ago, and so far I can say it's okay. again, from my previous fast food experience, i'm not very good at sales/remembering things, but we'll see how it goes :)

also not really a job but:
- did some debating adjudication (decent pay) - requires involvement with young students so yeah, great experience though :)

jobs I've heard other people do:
- coaching and stuff: I know it's been mentioned before previously but coaching like junior sports teams and also doing umpiring. Not just sports but I know of people who coach high school debating teams and such
- cafes/waitressing
- supermarkets
- tutoring! (already been mentioned)
- stuff sorta relevant to their uni degrees e.g. receptionist at medical/health practices etc

good luck to everyone looking for a job! :)
If you are in year 9/10 (aged ~15) reading this, I would highly suggest you apply now - as yeah, it is pretty difficult as you get older
VCE '15
don't let dreams be dreams

tashhhaaa

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +152
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 06:04:01 pm »
+5
Receptionist

my current/only job (since last year) is being the weekend receptionist at a car dealership that's part of a large group (ie. lots of major car brands/dealerships in our company/group)

the most part is of course the phones (taking enquiries, redirecting calls etc etc) but I also assist customers and do admin stuff. In the beginning I felt so awkward on the phone and had trouble managing multiple calls at once but it does get easier

I'm probably the youngest person working for the company but if you're mature enough, well spoken and have some people skills you'll be fine, so I think reception jobs are a good option for anyone eg. at a small business, a real estate agency, local medical clinic

I had no experience when I started but if you're willing to learn and you're okay working with older people it's a great casual or part-time gig