Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:16:08 pm

Author Topic: Does This Happen To Anyone Else?  (Read 1329 times)  Share 

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
Does This Happen To Anyone Else?
« on: January 12, 2020, 12:58:24 am »
+5
Okay, I'm not generally into all this stuff, but I think I suffer from the Pauli Effect :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_effect

I'm not kidding, but I wish I was. I've had 10 laptops, 6 tablets and about 7-8 phones in the last 4-5 years and I haven't broken any of them (it's always been a software or hardware problem). It's ridiculous! All different models and makes, from different stores, always brand new and from different price ranges. At first I was frustrated, and I still am, but I just find it so strange that it's actually really funny now and sort of a running joke in my family. It's not as though I use overused the products either, just texts and phone calls and Microsoft word, internet and emails. Seriously, I didn't even discover YouTube until 2018, when I was 18 years old :) and even then it was for educational purposes because I'm boring.

It's not just my stuff, it's other things too! At the Dr's, the receptionists computer isn't working the second I step up. Lights go out when I walk under them. The cash register at the shops is glitching at only that register, only when it's my turn. Five people ahead of me at ATM get through fine, but nope, not me. Calling to make an appointment - "hang on, just give me a moment, the computer doesn't seem to be working right now". Eftpos machine working fine for people ahead of me, but I need to walk to get cash out and when I get back, all the people who were behind me are just fine tapping their cards.

It's all funny, mild annoyances, but a couple of times when it's happened a few too many times in a row, I've gotten almost genuinely concerned - I want to go into medicine, I don't want a patient dying because technology fails around me :)

And the worst thing is, I know that thinking its happening to me is making it happen more, or at least making me recognise it more, but when it keeps happening, I can't not think it,  haha. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm really curious. I know technology isn't really all that reliable, but I think I'm just particularly unlucky :)

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Does This Happen To Anyone Else?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2020, 01:16:29 am »
+2
Okay, I'm not generally into all this stuff, but I think I suffer from the Pauli Effect :)

I'm not kidding, but I wish I was. I've had 10 laptops, 6 tablets and about 7-8 phones in the last 4-5 years and I haven't broken any of them (it's always been a software or hardware problem). It's ridiculous! All different models and makes, from different stores, always brand new and from different price ranges. At first I was frustrated, and I still am, but I just find it so strange that it's actually really funny now and sort of a running joke in my family. It's not as though I use overused the products either, just texts and phone calls and Microsoft word, internet and emails. Seriously, I didn't even discover YouTube until 2018, when I was 18 years old :) and even then it was for educational purposes because I'm boring.

It's not just my stuff, it's other things too! At the Dr's, the receptionists computer isn't working the second I step up. Lights go out when I walk under them. The cash register at the shops is glitching at only that register, only when it's my turn. Five people ahead of me at ATM get through fine, but nope, not me. Calling to make an appointment - "hang on, just give me a moment, the computer doesn't seem to be working right now". Eftpos machine working fine for people ahead of me, but I need to walk to get cash out and when I get back, all the people who were behind me are just fine tapping their cards.

It's all funny, mild annoyances, but a couple of times when it's happened a few too many times in a row, I've gotten almost genuinely concerned - I want to go into medicine, I don't want a patient dying because technology fails around me :)

And the worst thing is, I know that thinking its happening to me is making it happen more, or at least making me recognise it more, but when it keeps happening, I can't not think it,  haha. Does this happen to anyone else? I'm really curious. I know technology isn't really all that reliable, but I think I'm just particularly unlucky :)
NO WAY! I had no idea this actually was a thing!

I've noticed this faar too many times as well that I've lost count, and I study Computer Science lol. What a combination...

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2020, 11:30:28 am »
+5
I've never heard of this but would like to reassure you that as someone who works in retail our computers are just slow (and awful especially when its busy) and also usually if we say "sorry the computers been having issues" it just means we made a mistake on the register and are fixing it lol.
For your issues re: paying for things, using the ATM - is this all using the same bank card(s)? It could be that the chip or swipey part of the card is damaged (and if it's several cards it could be your wallet causing the damage)?

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 12:37:30 pm »
+2
I've never heard of this but would like to reassure you that as someone who works in retail our computers are just slow (and awful especially when its busy) and also usually if we say "sorry the computers been having issues" it just means we made a mistake on the register and are fixing it lol.
For your issues re: paying for things, using the ATM - is this all using the same bank card(s)? It could be that the chip or swipey part of the card is damaged (and if it's several cards it could be your wallet causing the damage)?

Haha, I didn't realise that people did that :)

The ATM stopped before I put my card in and came up with a message on screen. In terms of Eftpos machines, I recently got a new card (because before I didn't have pay wave) and a new wallet for Christmas and it's happened since then too. Good thinking though. Believe me, I've looked for rational explanations and sometimes things do just happen (technology isn't exactly known for its reliability) they just sometimes seem to happen a lot more frequently to me :) I'm not worried, just wanted to see if anyone else was also particularly unlucky with technology - and I find the idea of the Pauli Effect hilarious :)

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 01:19:31 pm »
+1

Lol this is happening to me for like the past three years. At most, all the laptops I have had only last for as much as six months. I decided that I would be well of using my school's laptops instead of following the BYOD program and, believe it or not, even those had a problem. Right now I am using my 6th laptop and my parents are starting to get really annoyed at me due to expenses  :P

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 03:07:13 pm »
+1

This is quite interesting, though I'm the opposite, it doesn't usually happens to me ;D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2020, 12:48:16 am »
+1
OH MY GOSH HAHAHAHHAHAHA I legit have experienced this to a slightly smaller extent.

So I was doing so well for myself tech wise right up until my first laptop broke after 5 years. The screen started glitching and soon enough, it couldn't be used anymore.  :'(

I've had really random errors with laptops however, my main issue has been with phones. It seems every phone I start to use breaks, even though I am incredibly careful. I upgraded my smartphone and my new one broke just out of warranty (don't get me started) which started a trail of using random discarded phones from my fam. Phones that had apparently worked amazingly for my fam worked well for me for a few days/ weeks but then randomly broke to to a system error. I went through so many phones until I received my brothers iPhone 6+ (basically the same phone I began with  ::) ). He had cracked it but it was fine until some black pixels started appearing on the side of the screen. I'll live haha but it's annoying. Also the first time I tried to use Siri, Siri stopped working :o

I feel you but I guess it's just unfortunate  :-\ ;). The one upside though is that I'm SO grateful when my tech works and also don't really care about high tech stuff as much. I've used too many Nokias and primitive phones to mind.

Wishing you well and find this quite cool and funny to reflect on  :)
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 12:52:18 am »
+1
If I honestly try to believe this exists, I feel like I need to start reading my horoscopes and avoiding black cats   ;D

I don't want to come across as brushing you off, but this sounds like confirmation bias at play. I wouldn't worry about it. Even if it exists, it doesn't sound like anyone could change it anyway  :-X
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University