Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:17 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science vs Bachelor of Biomed- what's the difference? [to do med]  (Read 2099 times)  Share 

kim0022

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hello!

I was just wondering, if you want to do medicine as a graduate degree, what's the difference in choosing Bachelor of Biomed or Science as a prereq?

Like, for UniMelb or Monash, you can choose between the two to do med, but the ATAR requirements are so different?

Why are they so different? Is it better to do Biomed? What are the pros and cons of doing Bachelor of Science and what are the pros and cons of doing Bachelor of Biomed? Is one more flexible than the other?

Thanks in advance  ;D

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Hello!

I was just wondering, if you want to do medicine as a graduate degree, what's the difference in choosing Bachelor of Biomed or Science as a prereq?

Like, for UniMelb or Monash, you can choose between the two to do med, but the ATAR requirements are so different?

Why are they so different? Is it better to do Biomed? What are the pros and cons of doing Bachelor of Science and what are the pros and cons of doing Bachelor of Biomed? Is one more flexible than the other?

Thanks in advance  ;D

Can't really speak for Monash but can help you with Melbourne Uni!
I actually had the same question too and the main difference other than the ATAR is the flexibility of the two courses! In Bachelor of Science, there is a bit more flexibility on what you can study because of the Melbourne Model they have! If you check the Bachelor of Biomedicine page on the Melbourne Uni website it actually tells you the difference between the Bachelor of Science course to itself! (Such as subjects exclusive to each course and pathways from there and onwards). There is a difference in core subjects you can pick between the two courses (and what makes Biomed different compared to the Bachelor of Science!). In the Biomed course, the subjects are more tailored to those wanting to continue into Medicine while Bachelor of Science is more flexible in choices of what you could do later.
There was a presentation early in the year called the "My future in Biomedicine and Science" at Melbourne Uni which emphasised on the differences and advantages of each course! It would be ideal to look into it if you haven't yet! ;D

Hope this kind of help! if anyone has any info to add from Monash's perspective please do!

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=183111

My post here might be of interest to you
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46