Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 12:46:16 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3611864 times)  Share 

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12900 on: August 29, 2020, 11:06:48 pm »
+7
Are human genomes haploid or diploid? Our cells are obviously diploid, so a person's genome would be incomplete with just a haploid sequence - the study design does state it is all of our genes. However, it also says that a genome is "the sum total of an organism’s DNA measured in the number of base pairs contained in a haploid set of chromosomes". My textbook says something pretty similar. I'm so confused
It is both depending on which cells you are talking about. E.g. germ cells are haploid other cells are diploid (some exceptions).

However, when the genome is analysed and sequenced they are only looking at 1 set of chromosomes (although it is usually 24 chromosomes which include 22 autosomes and both X and Y chromosomes) which is something around 3 billion base pairs and this is generally used as the size of the human genome.

quintonishere

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12901 on: August 30, 2020, 12:58:23 am »
It is both depending on which cells you are talking about. E.g. germ cells are haploid other cells are diploid (some exceptions).

However, when the genome is analysed and sequenced they are only looking at 1 set of chromosomes (although it is usually 24 chromosomes which include 22 autosomes and both X and Y chromosomes) which is something around 3 billion base pairs and this is generally used as the size of the human genome.
Thank you. I think this makes a bit more sense... it's a bit weird for VCAA to say it's one organism then state it's haploid, because you can't analyse all the organism's alleles with just a haploid set.

Reeva.xx

• Adventurer
« Reply #12902 on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:57 pm »
how do you know if a structure is analogous or homologous?
I for evolution between two species that had a common ancestor you would be comparing the homologous structures right?

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #12903 on: August 30, 2020, 10:56:28 pm »
+6
Homologous structures are structures with different appearances and functions that are all derived from the same body part in a common ancestor.

Analogous structures are  structures that are not from a common ancestor but have a similar function due to selective pressures in similar environments.

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #12904 on: August 31, 2020, 07:43:02 am »
+5
Homologous structures are similar in appearance but may have different functions, all inherited from a common ancestor

Analogous structures have the same function due to facing similar selection pressures but may have different appearances because the structures aren't derived from a common ancestor.

2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

p0kem0n21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #12905 on: August 31, 2020, 09:28:27 am »
Not too sure if this knowledge is in the study design, but do we need to remember the types and functions of membrane proteins (receptor, recognition, adhesion and transport)? I know that's kind of mentioned later in terms of "protein functional diversity", but I'm asking more in the context of the plasma membrane  :)

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12906 on: August 31, 2020, 09:36:48 am »
+5
You should know the functions of glycoproteins, protein pumps, protein channels (basically transport proteins), and that transmembrane proteins span the entire plasma membrane.

Chocolatepistachio

• Science Games: Silver
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +51
« Reply #12907 on: August 31, 2020, 04:30:43 pm »
‘We are carbon base life forms’ what does this statement mean?
Does it just mean we are made up of carbon

In an isotonic solution why is there no net movement of water but there is movement

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12908 on: August 31, 2020, 04:39:04 pm »
+3
For the second question, there's no net movement as there's an almost equal amount of solute:solvent ratio. However, an equal ratio does not stop water molecules from moving between the solutions so there's still random movement

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #12909 on: September 01, 2020, 10:38:18 am »
+4
‘We are carbon base life forms’ what does this statement mean?
Does it just mean we are made up of carbon
Life of this planet is considered carbon based as carbon forms the backbone of the macromolecules (lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, and nucleic acids) which lifeforms are themselves based upon.
life isn't considered carbon based just because its made of carbon - but because carbon is the basis for these molecules which compose living organisms. 
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12910 on: September 01, 2020, 04:44:17 pm »
I have an upcoming SAC for DNA manipulation over online learning rules. I'm told that there is no multiple choice and we get 40 minutes to do all the questions.  I was just wondering what would be some SA questions they could ask or would I required to know? I haven't been doing the best this year (81% every SAC) I was hoping to improve it. Thanks in advance everyone!

ErnieTheBirdi

• Forum Regular
« Reply #12911 on: September 01, 2020, 04:46:29 pm »
I was wondering whether anyone has any tips to get out of a slump? I'm currently averaging 81 for U3 and 81 for U4 as we've only done one SAC. I'm hoping that my next SAC will improve my grade but I'm freaking out. Does anyone have any tips to get out of a slump and get higher scores other than practice, haha, I know practice is the way to go though. Thanks!

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12912 on: September 01, 2020, 04:50:44 pm »
+5
I was just wondering what would be some SA questions they could ask or would I required to know? I haven't been doing the best this year (81% every SAC) I was hoping to improve it. Thanks in advance everyone!
Have you checked the study design? I strongly recommend reading each dot point and just writing everything you know. I can't predict what your school will give you, but check if your school has given a checklist. When my school gave me a checklist I combined that with the study design to make sure I covered everything properly.

Does anyone have any tips to get out of a slump and get higher scores other than practice, haha, I know practice is the way to go though. Thanks!
You can always start by watching videos about the topics coming in your sac or that you're unsure of. To motivate yourself really imagine yourself getting that dream study score. You only have this year to do Bio, so try your best to pump it out because you will sorely regret not putting your best into your work.
Edit: Also the difference between 80% and late 80's-90% in my opinion is not just refining content, but also knowing exactly how the marks are divided. When you do practice questions really analyse how the marks are being distributed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:52:57 pm by homeworkisapotato »

p0kem0n21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #12913 on: September 02, 2020, 08:33:23 pm »
do we need to remember the names of the proteins produced by the lac operon (like beta-galactosidase and the other 2)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #12914 on: September 02, 2020, 08:58:03 pm »
+4
do we need to remember the names of the proteins produced by the lac operon (like beta-galactosidase and the other 2)
No definitely not. Just know that they break down lactose
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)