Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 07:56:18 am

Author Topic: DVM selection appeal  (Read 773 times)  Share 

artourbaba

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
DVM selection appeal
« on: December 20, 2019, 10:48:00 pm »
I applied for the DVM 2020 international Full Fee spot and the selection outcome just released today. Unfortunately my application was not successful as the email stated my “academic results do not meet the minimum entry requirements for the course you have chosen.”

I have worked really hard to try to get into the program, with an science wam of 70.4 (not ideal but this is what I have unfortunately:( ) and months of animal handling experiences in vet clinics and farms.

I am currently looking to lodge a selection appeal, stating it was the constant moving from my home country (Malaysia) to Perth, and then finally to Melbourne, and the language barrier (all my science subjects were taught in Mandarin during high school years) that contributed to my low Science WAM.

I really need some advice if my reasonings are “valid” and the likelihood / tips to improve my chances on the appeal. I have already filed a selection feedback and review + initial grievance too.

Please share any stories of yours / someone that you know that had experience in selection appeal, be it a success or failed appeal.

Thank you!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: DVM selection appeal
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 11:13:29 pm »
+2
I unfortunately don’t know anyone who has appealed a decision like that before, but I have had classmates who were trying to apply for the DVM and missed the academic marks to make it. They went back and studied Honours to bring their marks up, as Honours generally carries more weight, overrides undergrad results or something - I forget what it did specifically. Many also do better in Honours compared to their undergrad.

I did have an Honours classmate who did just that and is now studying the DVM at Melbourne from memory, albeit they were domestic.

Not sure if that’s helpful at all, but at least it’s another option if all doesn’t go quite to plan? Nonetheless, good luck with your appeal!
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

artourbaba

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: DVM selection appeal
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:19:30 pm »
Thank you AngelWings for your reply.

I believe finishing an Honours degree will add an additional mark to my Science WAM, which brings it to a total of 71.4 (Still terrible). I did consider doing honours for that additional mark but even after that my application still failed, that will be a great economic and time cost for me.
The saddest part is one of the faculty staffs even told me it is usually much easier for international students to secure a FFP, and last year all the international spots were not even fully filled :(