Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:02:24 am

Author Topic: Choose HHD or Chemistry?  (Read 620 times)  Share 

crazynam101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Choose HHD or Chemistry?
« on: August 09, 2020, 11:44:21 pm »
Hi friends I'm in year 11, about to make my subject choices for year 12.
my current subjects are:
HHD
Chemistry
biology
VET laboratory skills
English
general maths
to get a bachelor of science at monash uni, it only requires me to have bio and futher as a prerequisite. so should i just drop chemistry and go with hhd? Because, I am considering doing accounting at monash even though my subjects are all science related, I need an 85 atar. So should i go with hhd if i think i can get a higher atar in hhd?  thoughts?
thanks in advance :)

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Choose HHD or Chemistry?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 02:41:10 am »
If you enjoy HHD more, then yes. If you typically score significantly higher (such that scaling won't cause your HHD score to dip below your chemistry score), then yes. If only because you THINK HHD is easier, then no.

So tell us, what are your scores like in the two, and do you enjoy one more than the other? By a lot, or just a little?

crazynam101

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:26 am »
hi friend, um my results in HHD are slightly higher than in chemistry. in semester 1 exams, i got 80% in hhd whereas i got around 60% in chemistry. also, i have a question. if i get a bach of science at monash without doing chemistry, is doing the same degree even if i did do chemistry ?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:16:28 pm »
+3
hi friend, um my results in HHD are slightly higher than in chemistry. in semester 1 exams, i got 80% in hhd whereas i got around 60% in chemistry. also, i have a question. if i get a bach of science at monash without doing chemistry, is doing the same degree even if i did do chemistry ?

So yeah - based on that information, you're probably better off doing HHD, but tbh after scaling, you'll likely get similar scores in both. SO, you need to ask yourself - which subject do you enjoy more? Which one will you be more motivated to put effort into? These answers aren't cut and dry, the answer is going to be different on the person. The mental battle of actually sitting down and studying is half the effort, and so you should do the subject you're less likely to have a mental battle with.

And yes - a bachelor of science is still a bachelor of science, whether you do chemistry during the degree or not, or whether you do chemistry in VCE or not. The two are largely unrelated - as long as you meet the pre-reqs for a degree, you don't need to worry about much else, because university is largely separated from high school.