Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 02:32:59 am

Author Topic: Legal Studies: Contemporary Issues vs. All of Syllabus  (Read 3229 times)  Share 

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
  • Respect: 0
Legal Studies: Contemporary Issues vs. All of Syllabus
« on: October 07, 2016, 12:41:57 pm »
Hi guys,
When I'm writing an essay for the Options in Legal is it better to focus the essay around the contemporary issues or to work systematically through the whole syllabus in one essay. My teacher keeps asking us to work through the whole thing but I find this approach a bit problematic as it doesn't allow you the kind of insight into each point that I feel you need. What would you guys recommend?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies: Contemporary Issues vs. All of Syllabus
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 12:51:19 pm »
Hi guys,
When I'm writing an essay for the Options in Legal is it better to focus the essay around the contemporary issues or to work systematically through the whole syllabus in one essay. My teacher keeps asking us to work through the whole thing but I find this approach a bit problematic as it doesn't allow you the kind of insight into each point that I feel you need. What would you guys recommend?

Hey! I think it depends a little, but there are definitely parts of the syllabus you can ignore. For example, you can ignore the first section of Family, because it's all content and the marker doesn't care about it.

Of the two options you give, I am more inclined to say that contemporary issues is the better approach. In any case, you are definitely not required to use everything in the syllabus for a given essay. As you recommend, that is overkill, it is way better to hone in on the specific things you want to discuss to answer the question! I hope this helps :)

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:35:04 pm »
+1
Last year the questions were on domestic violence and alternate family relationships.........neither of which are under the 'contemporary issues' section........which means that this year will definitely have a question, if not both questions on a contemporary issue! :) I would highly recommend studying this section of the syllabus. As jamon said, there are certainly aspects of the syllabus you dont need to really worry about.  8)

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 10:15:19 pm »
+3
Last year the questions were on domestic violence and alternate family relationships.........neither of which are under the 'contemporary issues' section........which means that this year will definitely have a question, if not both questions on a contemporary issue! :) I would highly recommend studying this section of the syllabus. As jamon said, there are certainly aspects of the syllabus you dont need to really worry about.  8)

Make sure to read the question carefully! Its actually quite possible that you could incorporate quite a few contemporary issues into your response.

Alternate Family Relationships is a really broad term that encompasses the contemporary issues of same sex relationships and the changing nature of parental responsibility - you could even include single parent families or de facto couples if you're feeling extra frisky  8)

Domestic Violence often goes hand-in-hand with the contemporary issue of care and protection of children as often it is the young ones who suffer most from family breakdowns or violence.

So pretty much, read the option questions super carefully and often times you'll be able to slot in contemporary issues, even if the question doesn't explicitly ask for them  :)

Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.