Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:51:40 am

Author Topic: Staying Calm in Exams  (Read 11792 times)

birdwing341

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +4
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Staying Calm in Exams
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 10:43:58 am »
Those are some extremely good tips. This is noted.

Also, what are your comments on this:
My mathematics teacher once said to do exams backwards (of some sort).

I would have to say I disagree with this comment (from personal experience). I find that because the papers go in ascending difficulty, I can accustom myself into the test, like kind of work myself into it. And I find that by the time I get to the last few question (provided my time management has been good) I have a higher likelihood of getting them than if I had just done them as regulation questions.

It seems somewhat counter-intuitive...

Claudiaa

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2017, 11:39:17 pm »
This is extremely helpful Jamon! I will definitely take these into consideration in my next exams  :)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Math Ext 1 | Studies of Religion I | Economics | Legal | Modern History

sophiemacpherso

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 11:13:52 am »
Do you think it's better to start with easier questions, or skip straight to the harder questions? :)

ssarahj

• ATAR Notes NSW MVP - 2016
  • Forum Obsessive
  • seek the full depth and height of life.
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 11:27:59 am »
Do you think it's better to start with easier questions, or skip straight to the harder questions? :)

This mostly comes down to personal preference and would depend on the subject. Most of the time I would start with the easier questions to get some momentum and confidence before tackling the harder ones. So this meant I did usually did multiple choice questions first. Same with my Chemistry exam, I did all the questions I was confident with quickly and then had time to get to the harder ones. However for SOR I did the essay I found the hardest first and then went on from there.

So just make sure you leave enough time for the harder questions, don't get carried away on the easy ones 😃
HSC 2016: SOR 2, Adv. English, Ext. 1 English, Chemistry, 2U Maths, Hospitality
6th in NSW for SOR 2

ATAR: 97.00

2017: B Nutrition & Dietetics @ University of Newcastle

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 12:08:04 pm »
+1

Just to add to Sarah's awesome answer above, always think mark maximisation. Your aim is to get as many marks as possible - So keep in mind when thinking what order you do the paper where your marks will come from. This might mean doing your hard questions last to guarantee you get the easy ones. Or you might know you lose lots of marks at the end of the exam, so you do that first to do it while you are fresh! But 'getting marks' should be the backbone of all your decisions! ;D