Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 02:13:40 pm

Author Topic: Prerequisites in double degrees for graduate medicine  (Read 1400 times)  Share 

pleb

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Prerequisites in double degrees for graduate medicine
« on: September 23, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
Hey guys, I'm currently studying a Sci/arts double degree at Monash University aiming to get into medicine programs in a variety of universities (UoM too of course). In Monash I was told that consideration for Med pre-requisite subjects is independent for each degree that you graduate with upon completion of a double degree (you graduate with a BSc and BA). For example, in the science part of my degree I will complete 5 of many pre-requisite subjects needed to be eligible for medicine as opposed to the arts part of my degree which will have Psychology as a major. Unfortunately, I lack the amount of subjects available to fit into the science portion of my degree the required pre-requisite subjects for UoM Medicine (being BCH2011, PHY2011 & PHY2042 and DEV2022) due to my major sequence :/. My question is: will I be eligible if I place one of the pre-requisite subjects into the arts portion of my double degree? More specifically, does UoM Medicine admission consider both degrees for the completion of the pre-requisite subjects and the calculation of GPA? Sorry if this is confusing >_< I'm willing to clarify! But thank you for taking your time and effort to help me :)

Note: I found the pre-requisite subjects for UoM on this site --> https://applygemsas.com.au/prereqCheckerIntro.jsf

• Forum Leader
  • socratic junkie wannabe
  • Respect: +341
Re: Prerequisites in double degrees for graduate medicine
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 03:59:24 pm »
+4
From what I can understand in your post, you will have completed all of BCH2011, PHY2011 & PHY2042 and DEV2022 by the end of your double degree. However, you are unsure as to whether or not you are eligible for Melb uni med because you'll be completing one or more under your Bachelor of Arts degree.

Assuming the above is correct: as far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter under which degree you've completed the pre-requisite subjects under so long as you've completed them to begin with. I'd recommend contacting the uni to double check, but you should be safe.
2016–2018: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Neuroscience), The University of Melbourne
2019–2022: Doctor of Medicine, The University of Melbourne

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:01:15 pm »
+3
Hi! According to this page:
I didn’t complete an approved subject as part of my degree, what can I do?
You must complete an approved subject in order to be eligible to apply for admission, no exemptions will be granted, but that subject does not have to be part of a degree (though it must be passed).

Looks like your situation should be fine! :) But like Alter has said above, no harm in double checking with the university if you wanna be extra sure.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

pleb

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 10:28:45 pm »
From what I can understand in your post, you will have completed all of BCH2011, PHY2011 & PHY2042 and DEV2022 by the end of your double degree. However, you are unsure as to whether or not you are eligible for Melb uni med because you'll be completing one or more under your Bachelor of Arts degree.

Assuming the above is correct: as far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter under which degree you've completed the pre-requisite subjects under so long as you've completed them to begin with. I'd recommend contacting the uni to double check, but you should be safe.
Yeah! The way I have it currently arranged to go I can only fit in BCH2011 and DEV2002 requirement in my BSci and have to allocate the PHY2011 + PHY2042 sequence requirement in my BA. But yes I shall double check with the university thank you very much :)

Hi! According to this page:
Looks like your situation should be fine! :) But like Alter has said above, no harm in double checking with the university if you wanna be extra sure.
Ahh I didnt see that, silly me xD But thank you for that! And yes I shall be double checking with UoM; thanks so much as well! :)