Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:35:16 am

Author Topic: GAMSAT vs SJT  (Read 3182 times)  Share 

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
GAMSAT vs SJT
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:53 pm »
Although Monash presents a non-Gamsat (yay!) pathway, how does the SJT compare? I’m under the impression that’d it be somewhat less challenging than the gruelling 6 hours, but for anyone who has done/intends on doing the SJT, please describe your experiences with it  :) .

On that note, what exactly does the Monash SJT constitute in regards to content, weighting, time, etc.? And is there a way to prepare for the SJT and GAMSAT (and perhaps to those who sat both these tests and the UMAT, how do they compare)? [note: I’ll still be sitting the GAMSAT regardless of whether I go to Monash Biomed, I just don’t want to placed in the position where a place in graduate Med is reliant purely on the performance on that aptitude test].   

All help is immensely appreciated!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:31:58 pm by mtDNA »

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

Russ

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +661
Re: GAMSAT vs SJT
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 08:14:05 am »
+3
SJTs are a new/trendy tool and I don't like them that much. I've sat a few and feel that they have a few issues that make them poor tools for selection. Unless the questions are exceptionally well written, which they never are, it's very difficult to separate out and rank the middle options. You can do some trial papers on the internet to get a feel for what an SJT entails

They're less challenging, in the sense that they don't require specific knowledge or ask particular questions, but I think it's harder to reliably get a high mark and harder to prepare for them.

eg this is what I meant. You can easily pick the best and worst options, but ranking 2-4 is far too subjective for my liking.