Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 09:06:01 pm

Author Topic: JOHN MONASH TEST RESULTS  (Read 7810 times)  Share 

SaadUS

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
JOHN MONASH TEST RESULTS
« on: September 02, 2019, 09:06:32 pm »
I'm just looking for some advice. I applied for John Monash science school and was offered an interview, however, the results came out today and I was told that I didn't get in. I don't know what to do, because I had my entire future planned out, and a key part of that was to get into this school. I really like science and want to do it in the near future. I'm currently in year 9 as of 2019.

I just need some help in what I should now do now in terms of my future and whether I should stay in my school or change.

Thanks.

m.yara184

• Trendsetter
Re: JOHN MONASH TEST RESULTS
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 09:48:54 pm »
I'm just looking for some advice. I applied for John Monash science school and was offered an interview, however, the results came out today and I was told that I didn't get in. I don't know what to do, because I had my entire future planned out, and a key part of that was to get into this school. I really like science and want to do it in the near future. I'm currently in year 9 as of 2019.

I just need some help in what I should now do now in terms of my future and whether I should stay in my school or change.

Thanks.
Dude, I get how you feel I didn’t get into mhs, and I had my whole future planned out and I dreamed every day. I’ve moved on and JMSS or selective schools are not EVERYTHING. You can still pursue your goals in any school.

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 08:57:53 am »
I don’t make it, even though my school doesn’t reach the 3% rule (should be 9 slots in our school, but only 4 doing the interview. I still failed it....I think I’m not qualified and they won’t choose me for the second round again.
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 08:51:20 pm »
+1

Thanks.
Really depends man! First of all wait and see if you get a second round offer to JMSS as it is still possible. However, if you don't get into JMSS, then its all good. You're only in year 9 and still have time to find a new plan.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 11:02:53 pm by Tommy_01 »

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 09:55:37 pm »
+6

Thanks.

Hi, I'm currently in year 10 and was in your exact position last year. I was so passionate for science and was devastated that I didn't get in. Here's some thoughts:

1. Getting into JMSS should not be the key to your future. Trust me, realising this was hard, because you feel lost without the guidance of proper teachers and like-minded students. An important thing to recognise is you can pursue your passion for science even without the support of your school, if you stay resilient and put your mind to it. I applied for tons of science and math competitions and got to do some which were based online or didn't need to go through your school. This gave me a ton of confidence. Another thing that also helped was to 'study' or in a sense learn more about what you're passionate in, and online resources can really help with that: Khan Academy, Paul's online math notes, 3Blue1Brown etc. Make sure to indulge yourself and make little projects so you feel that you've gotten somewhere and have improved along the way.

2. Distance yourself from this loss and look at it from a fresh perspective. When I failed the interview I was so sure that I had done everything I could. After a fresh perspective I found out what I did wrong and what I could have done. Once you figure that out, you can improve upon this next year and there are many other paths to your future you can take, for example, JMSS year 11 entry or EBSS year 11 entry. If you feel sad, distract yourself with stuff you like, either through sport, music, art, or anything else you enjoy. Take time to refocus yourself and find out what you really want, not clouded by the constraints of VCE, university, or responsibilities. When you're young is the best time to explore your interests and make mistakes.

3. Focus on the future. There is so much, and seriously, so much you can choose to pursue from here. You can explore topics you enjoy and write some casual research papers. Maybe you can network around your area and find a few mentors. You are not restricted by this loss, or any other external pressure, and if you allow yourself to look past that, to think "what can I do to change this", you will find yourself off much better. There was so much I accomplished in the year I missed going to JMSS: I created a maths paper, I entered a program in which I created a new invention over the course of 12 weeks, I met countless mentors, did work experience at a reputable university, got more time with my friends, etc. I do not regret this year and you should not either. You have the power to change yourself and your future.

And on an optimistic note, I tried again for JMSS this year and got in, which shows that persistence sometimes does win the game. Best of luck.

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 10:39:32 pm »
Hi, I'm currently in year 10 and was in your exact position last year. I was so passionate for science and was devastated that I didn't get in. Here's some thoughts:

1. Getting into JMSS should not be the key to your future. Trust me, realising this was hard, because you feel lost without the guidance of proper teachers and like-minded students. An important thing to recognise is you can pursue your passion for science even without the support of your school, if you stay resilient and put your mind to it. I applied for tons of science and math competitions and got to do some which were based online or didn't need to go through your school. This gave me a ton of confidence. Another thing that also helped was to 'study' or in a sense learn more about what you're passionate in, and online resources can really help with that: Khan Academy, Paul's online math notes, 3Blue1Brown etc. Make sure to indulge yourself and make little projects so you feel that you've gotten somewhere and have improved along the way.

2. Distance yourself from this loss and look at it from a fresh perspective. When I failed the interview I was so sure that I had done everything I could. After a fresh perspective I found out what I did wrong and what I could have done. Once you figure that out, you can improve upon this next year and there are many other paths to your future you can take, for example, JMSS year 11 entry or EBSS year 11 entry. If you feel sad, distract yourself with stuff you like, either through sport, music, art, or anything else you enjoy. Take time to refocus yourself and find out what you really want, not clouded by the constraints of VCE, university, or responsibilities. When you're young is the best time to explore your interests and make mistakes.

3. Focus on the future. There is so much, and seriously, so much you can choose to pursue from here. You can explore topics you enjoy and write some casual research papers. Maybe you can network around your area and find a few mentors. You are not restricted by this loss, or any other external pressure, and if you allow yourself to look past that, to think "what can I do to change this", you will find yourself off much better. There was so much I accomplished in the year I missed going to JMSS: I created a maths paper, I entered a program in which I created a new invention over the course of 12 weeks, I met countless mentors, did work experience at a reputable university, got more time with my friends, etc. I do not regret this year and you should not either. You have the power to change yourself and your future.

And on an optimistic note, I tried again for JMSS this year and got in, which shows that persistence sometimes does win the game. Best of luck.

Wow thats really good man! Anyway do you know if many will gain a second round offer?

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 03:57:55 pm »
Wow thats really good man! Anyway do you know if many will gain a second round offer?

A lot of us were worrying about this last year as well. Only one person from previous JMSS forums on ATARnotes, as far as well can tell, got a second round offer. Personally, in hope of a second round offer I sent a passionate email detailing some of my best points to the principal, and was told it was being considered, but unfortunately did not get an offer. So I would say that although it does exist, it must be extremely rare, and there's no telling you'll be on the top of that list if places do open. Thus, I would recommend not dwelling on this possibility, and if it does by chance happen, you'll be all the more surprised.

Suma

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 04:28:13 pm »

Good Positive approach , can you let me know if there is any extra study you did to get in JMSS Year 11? and was the process same? Written test and interview?

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 04:40:31 pm »

Thanks.

Ahh that's really sad :(
In my opinion, I think you should think about how your school is going to prepare you. If you don't like your current school, then transfer but if you don't mind it, you might as well stay. I had the same issue - I decided that if I didn't get into JMSS I'd try to get into Uni High or Melbourne Girls' College but I got into JMSS.
Maybe try for EBSS in Year 10 and even try for JMSS again.
Remember that no matter what school you go to, your end results depends on your effort
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 04:42:12 pm by SanchaTheSeeker »
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:50:17 pm »
Help... anyone know what it means by 'awaiting finalisation'? (Offer status:   Successfully Completed - Awaiting Finalisation) in the yellow box at the bottom
I gave in my birth certificate and the enrolment stuff yesterday and I'm worried it hasn't been processed. Should I be panicking and should I call them on Friday if the 'offer status' is still the same?
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

^^^111^^^

• MOTM: JULY 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 05:22:31 pm »
Help... anyone know what it means by 'awaiting finalisation'? (Offer status:   Successfully Completed - Awaiting Finalisation) in the yellow box at the bottom
I gave in my birth certificate and the enrolment stuff yesterday and I'm worried it hasn't been processed. Should I be panicking and should I call them on Friday if the 'offer status' is still the same?
No trust me, you should wait. After all it has only been a day since you got your form ( and less than a week if friday) so yh. Also, did you email them saying that you gave your forms, because that is what I did and they replied saying that they will notify me if they need further clarification.

But honestly if you feel like something is amidst, just phone them later and ask them, and from what I know they should respond promptly :)

Tommy_01

• Forum Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 05:28:47 pm »
A lot of us were worrying about this last year as well. Only one person from previous JMSS forums on ATARnotes, as far as well can tell, got a second round offer. Personally, in hope of a second round offer I sent a passionate email detailing some of my best points to the principal, and was told it was being considered, but unfortunately did not get an offer. So I would say that although it does exist, it must be extremely rare, and there's no telling you'll be on the top of that list if places do open. Thus, I would recommend not dwelling on this possibility, and if it does by chance happen, you'll be all the more surprised.

Yes I understand that it is unlikely! But for some reason, it's hard for me to move one, as I am grasping on to the small chance that i will get a late offer! When did the late offers arrive last year (if you can remember)?

turtlesforeveryone

• Trendsetter
  • Class of 2021
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »
+1

Good Positive approach , can you let me know if there is any extra study you did to get in JMSS Year 11? and was the process same? Written test and interview?

There should be other information already on here about the JMSS Year 11 entry process: in short, same tests except instead of the science report, you have a new science knowledge test, which is based more upon knowledge than problem solving (dissimilar to science reasoning). I'm very good with edutest tests so I didn't do any extra studying on that front, just made sure I had a good night's sleep and had fun.

I did do some extra preparation for the interview since that's where I failed last year. I went through all my achievements and organised them into categories (e.g. leadership, sports, arts, music). I then picked out certain points that made me stand out (for example, national champion at a certain sport, was very good at drawing, involved community member) and made a mental note to mention those first. Last year, one thing I didn't do well was that I failed to mention everything I had going for me. I also briefly prepared some answers to a few common questions (why do you want to go to JMSS, favourite field of science, subjects you would choose for next year).

In general, the Year 11 entry interview is more analytical and formal in the sense that they will ask more about your VCE and careers options. The best way to tackle this is understand your flaws from this year and try to correct them next year.

Yes I understand that it is unlikely! But for some reason, it's hard for me to move one, as I am grasping on to the small chance that i will get a late offer! When did the late offers arrive last year (if you can remember)?

I did not get one, and neither did anyone on ATARnotes or the discord for that year, so I wouldn't know. However, it should be before the finalisation date (9th September).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 06:41:21 pm by turtlesforeveryone »

SynX

• Trendsetter
  • excelsior to reach for the stars
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 08:09:24 pm »
+2
I was quite devastated at first, but then I know there is a first for everything, including failures. I never failed any enrollment tests before when I did serious preparation.
I know what I lacked to get in, reports and achievements. Now I will be working on these, and hopefully I will return next year.
There is a reason to be optimistic , a single test won’t be the judgement of your life, plus there are still chance, next year, and into the future.
Upward and outward, no matter the cost.

Suma

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 07:29:21 pm »
I was quite devastated at first, but then I know there is a first for everything, including failures. I never failed any enrollment tests before when I did serious preparation.
I know what I lacked to get in, reports and achievements. Now I will be working on these, and hopefully I will return next year.
There is a reason to be optimistic , a single test won’t be the judgement of your life, plus there are still chance, next year, and into the future.

I am interested to know about the courses and programs you have mentioned, can you plz post what were those?