Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:00:30 am

Author Topic: Comparative Essay - Polanski vs Shakespeare Macbeth  (Read 4283 times)

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Comparative Essay - Polanski vs Shakespeare Macbeth
« on: August 28, 2019, 12:19:27 pm »
Hey guys here is my comparative text response for the meaning of the theme of good and evil and how it is portrayed in Polanski's film version in comparison to Shakespeare's tragedy.

Sorry this is just a part my introduction. Please leave any form of help/suggestions.
Roman Polanski's notion of the conflict between good and evil does not completely remain faithful to William Shakespeare's tragedy. in the film, contrast between the characterisation of personas such as Donalbain and Ross's psychological perspective of events like the aquivocation done by Macbeth potrays the evil as an attribute possessed by all. On the other hand, Shakespeare's tragedy is ....... (that's all guys).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 12:29:12 pm by 0001 »

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Comparative Essay - Polanski vs Shakespeare Macbeth
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 02:20:23 pm »
+6
Hi there! I've left a few pointers here to help you build on this - really good start so far!
Roman Polanski's notion of the conflict between good and evil does not completely remain faithful to William Shakespeare's tragedy. Nice clear opening sentence, and you've identified the essay topic really concisely! in the film, contrast between the characterisation of personas such as Donalbain and Ross's psychological perspective of events like the aquivocation do you mean 'equivocation'?done by Macbeth potrays the evil as an attribute possessed by all. This sentence is a bit hard to follow - I think you've got too many ideas going on here! Firstly, since the film is an adaptation of Macbeth, I think it would make more sense to have a sentence about Macbeth first, and then talk about how Polanski's film differs from the play.

So maybe:
1. A sentence about what Shakespeare says about good and evil through the play (e.g. Shakespeare's 'Macbeth' portrays a protagonist who succumbs to the promise of power, and commits evil deeds to reach his goals.)
2. A sentence that starts with a linking word and talks about how this idea is similar or different in Polanski's film (e.g. By contrast, Polanski explores different manifestations of evil though a wide range of characters who psychologically struggle with morality and their potential for evil.) <-- I haven't actually seen this film, but this is kind of based off the sentence you've written, so you might want to change this depending on your interpretation!

On the other hand, Shakespeare's tragedy is ....... (that's all guys).Once you've written one opening sentence, and then one sentence about each text, your intro is pretty much done! It might be good to have one more sentence at the end that talks about an overall similarity + an overall difference, just to make sure you're talking about both right from the start.
For example:
'Thus, although both texts examine ______, there are many differences in the way they reveal _____.'

I probably wouldn't mention anything too specific (like Donalbain and Ross) - save that for the body paragraphs when you can go into more detail with your examples!

If you want a couple of other ideas (and in case your teacher wants you to write a longer intro!)
- Talk about the fact that the texts are different genres (i.e. Shakespeare uses theatrical conventions, whereas Polanski employs film techniques and visual language)
- Talk about the fact that the texts were written in very different time periods (i.e. Elizabethan England vs. contemporary era)
- Talk about any of the noteworthy differences between the play and its adaptation (i.e. does the film have a different ending? Does it make Lady Macbeth more sympathetic?

Hope this helps! :) Let us know how the rest of your essay goes!
(Also happy to chat about Macbeth if you need to brainstorm!) ;D