Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:04 pm

Author Topic: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!  (Read 750417 times)  Share 

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
Re: VCE General & Further Maths Question Thread!
« Reply #2595 on: September 22, 2020, 02:11:27 pm »
+1
Matrix representations of networks and their application IS part of the current study design. So you could be asked something about a "dominance matrix", since that could be understood as an application of a matrix representation of a directed network.

What you are NOT required to know as part of the networks module is that if A is the one-step adjacency matrix (ie. where each entry gives the number of edges between the respective vertices), then A^n is the n-step adjacency matrix (where each entry gives the number of paths of n edges between the respective vertices).

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2596 on: September 22, 2020, 02:41:09 pm »
Matrix representations of networks and their application IS part of the current study design. So you could be asked something about a "dominance matrix", since that could be understood as an application of a matrix representation of a directed network.

What you are NOT required to know as part of the networks module is that if A is the one-step adjacency matrix (ie. where each entry gives the number of edges between the respective vertices), then A^n is the n-step adjacency matrix (where each entry gives the number of paths of n edges between the respective vertices).

Out of curiosity, have we seen dominance matrices asked about before in the current study design? Seems odd they'd mention it explicitly in the old design, but not this one, if they were still going to ask about them

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #2597 on: September 22, 2020, 03:36:13 pm »
+1
Out of curiosity, have we seen dominance matrices asked about before in the current study design? Seems odd they'd mention it explicitly in the old design, but not this one, if they were still going to ask about them

Not that I recall. My advice would be that, even if it's unlikely to be asked, it still appears to be within the scope of the course.

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #2598 on: September 25, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »
Not that I recall. My advice would be that, even if it's unlikely to be asked, it still appears to be within the scope of the course.
VCAA moved dominance matrices into the Matrices module starting 2016. Therefore no longer relevant in the Networks module.

David...

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2599 on: September 30, 2020, 10:14:16 am »
Hello,

I am slightly confused with rounding. My teacher said that the rounding depends on the context of the situation; saying you would always round down in certain contexts. For example, let's say that you got an answer of 277.8 cars and the question did not specify rounding, my teacher would have rounded down to 277 cars.

However, according to the trial exams I am doing, they would have rounded normally - (in this case, rounding up 278 cars).

Can someone please tell me how VCAA expects our answers to be rounded?

And is rounding to the "nearest" whole number/car/month (etc.) the same as rounding to the "correct" whole number/car/month (etc.)?

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could answer my questions with VCAA examples, feel free to ignore these questions.

Thank you

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #2600 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:14 am »
+3
Hello,

I am slightly confused with rounding. My teacher said that the rounding depends on the context of the situation; saying you would always round down in certain contexts. For example, let's say that you got an answer of 277.8 cars and the question did not specify rounding, my teacher would have rounded down to 277 cars.

However, according to the trial exams I am doing, they would have rounded normally - (in this case, rounding up 278 cars).

And is rounding to the "nearest" whole number/car/month (etc.) the same as rounding to the "correct" whole number/car/month (etc.)?

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could answer my questions with VCAA examples, feel free to ignore these questions.

Thank you

Depends on the context of the question.

Say if the original question was something along the lines of, how many cars can I buy with X amount of money, and you get 277.8, you'd round down because even if the answer is closer to 278, you don't technically have enough to buy that amount.

Just round according to what makes logical sense.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

plato

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #2601 on: October 13, 2020, 03:27:17 pm »
+1
Hello,

Thank you
As has been pointed out, it does depend on the context of the question, but also on the wording.
I will use your answer of 277.8 cars
If the question had asked for the "maximum number of cars", then you would round DOWN to 277, because 278 is more than the decimal number calculated.
If the question had asked for the "minimum number of cars", then you would round UP to 278, because 277 is less than the decimal number calculated.
Incidentally, if the question had asked for the average, or mean, number of cars, and there was no rounding instruction, you would leave the answer as 277.8 because a mean value can be a decimal. 
Your other question was about the wording of the rounding instruction. Recent exam questions generally have such rounding instruction as a separate sentence. For example, "Round your answer to the nearest whole number."; in which case you would round a number such as 12.501 to 13
If instructed to "Round your answer to the nearest hundred cars.", you would then round a number such as 277.8 to 300
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 03:29:01 pm by plato »

czzn3

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2602 on: October 31, 2020, 04:44:49 pm »
When we're asked to draw a reg line, do we alw start from 0 or where the first data on x value is given?
Do ALL time series plot have irregular fluctuations?
When the data provides both year and numbers, which do we use for IV? (eg 1 for 2000, 2 for 2001)

Thanks in advance!

jasonn_ly

• Adventurer
« Reply #2603 on: October 31, 2020, 06:55:31 pm »
Hi guys,

For further i am ranked 3-5, with the top end being extremely strong and was wondering would a 50 study score be possible if i were to get full marks or lose 1 mark in total across both exams? Or if i achieve such on the exam will my score still be dependent on hoping that those ranked higher than me full mark or get close to full marking the exam?

Thanks in advance

Definitely can get 50, just aim for 100% and you can't go wrong either way

jasonn_ly

• Adventurer
« Reply #2604 on: October 31, 2020, 07:00:19 pm »
+1
When we're asked to draw a reg line, do we alw start from 0 or where the first data on x value is given?
Do ALL time series plot have irregular fluctuations?
When the data provides both year and numbers, which do we use for IV? (eg 1 for 2000, 2 for 2001)

Thanks in advance!
- When sketching the regression line onto a graph, assuming its a scatterplot, identify where the y intercept is (it's not always at x=0!) and sub that x value into the equation to find the y intercept.
- You can tell if a time series plots has irregular fluctuations if values are not consistent, if the values for each season are dead consistent for every season that passes then it would be seasonal and have no irregular fluctuations, but usually thats not the case and irregular fluctuations are present.
- Usually they will specificy what the IV variable is, that being the 1 or 2000, keep in mind usually they provide the 1,2,3 etc there purposefully so you don't have to make an equation out of 2000, 2001 etc.

LachlanBarr8

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2605 on: November 11, 2020, 03:03:00 pm »
Hey guys,

Could someone tell me what the LST for activity D is? I believe its 6, but the answers and my friend (rank 1) say its 12. I can understand why it would be 12; however, wouldn't it affect the overall completion time?

Much appreciated
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 03:05:39 pm by LachlanBarr8 »
2019: Psychology [44], Religion & Society [48]

2020: Accounting [41], English [48], Further [45], Methods [37]

ATAR: 99.00

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #2606 on: November 11, 2020, 03:19:17 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

Could someone tell me what the LST for activity D is? I believe its 6, but the answers and my friend (rank 1) say its 12. I can understand why it would be 12; however, wouldn't it affect the overall completion time?

Much appreciated
The answer is 12.

For this network, the critical path is C-F-I-J with a length of 28. The path that activity D is on (A-D-G-J) has a length of 19. If you backwards scan from Activity J, you can see that the latest time to complete activity G is after 18 units. Therefore the latest time to complete activity D is after 12 units.

Additionally, the difference between the lengths of the 2 paths is 9 therefore the 3 non-critical paths on this network have a float time of 9. 3+9=12

Hope this helps :)
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

MaryK

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2607 on: November 14, 2020, 09:34:43 am »
Has anyone posted the actual 2020 VCAA Further Maths Exam 1?

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #2608 on: November 15, 2020, 03:52:11 pm »
hi guys, this question is from the 2019 nht exam 2 and I can't seem to figure out how to find h? If anyone could explain to me how to get the answer that'd be much appreciated! (I've looked at the examiner's report but don't get it :-\)

d is 10m btw

Cha0132

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2609 on: November 18, 2020, 02:17:29 am »
Hi Stick, i got a sac average of 98% in a strong cohort/high ranked, I think I dropped 2 marks on exam 1 and 3 marks on exam 2, can I still get 45+ in Further maths 2020