Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:11:28 pm

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1421921 times)  Share 

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #1320 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:31 am »
My logic is if I can survive first semester chem without the textbook, I can do the same this semester. :P

m.Chemia

« Reply #1321 on: July 10, 2014, 09:44:22 am »
Your logic is right, you totally can survive first year chem without a textbook, and second year.

achre

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +72
« Reply #1322 on: July 10, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »
If I meet the pre-reqs for a 2nd year subject as a first year (this), do I still need to ask permission or can I just enrol straight away in WES?

Rohmer

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #1323 on: July 10, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »
+1
If I meet the pre-reqs for a 2nd year subject as a first year (this), do I still need to ask permission or can I just enrol straight away in WES?

You can just enrol; if you've met the pre-req's then you should be fine to do the unit. If for some reason they won't let you do the unit (seems unlikely), then you'll get an email from the Arts faculty about not being able to enrol, but you could seek permission then anyway.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 02:22:24 pm by Rohmer »

saifh

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Beaconhills College
« Reply #1324 on: July 11, 2014, 04:14:10 am »
I'm currently in first year doing my Bachelor of Software Engineering at Monash, and I think I just barely failed a core unit (maybe 1-3%) off the 50% pass cutoff. Does monash offer the supplementary exams for first years or is that only for last year students?

Also, for those in monash clayton, I can choose preferences on my allocate+ for the units I'd be able to do in semetser 2 if I didn't fail that one unit as explained above, does that mean I've been granted into that unit or will everything change on the Monday when results are released?

Also, this may be a dick move, but is it possible to ask to get an exam re-marked if you're literally off maybe 1 or 2 marks off passing the unit?

Thanks!

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1325 on: July 11, 2014, 05:22:59 am »
As a heads up...
In addition to receiving your results online via your my.monash portal, Monash offers you the opportunity to receive your results via SMS (short text messages sent to your mobile phone).

We intend to send the message between late evening on 11 July and noon on 13 July AEST, when results are released online.

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1326 on: July 11, 2014, 07:03:02 am »
I'm currently in first year doing my Bachelor of Software Engineering at Monash, and I think I just barely failed a core unit (maybe 1-3%) off the 50% pass cutoff. Does monash offer the supplementary exams for first years or is that only for last year students?

Also, for those in monash clayton, I can choose preferences on my allocate+ for the units I'd be able to do in semetser 2 if I didn't fail that one unit as explained above, does that mean I've been granted into that unit or will everything change on the Monday when results are released?

Also, this may be a dick move, but is it possible to ask to get an exam re-marked if you're literally off maybe 1 or 2 marks off passing the unit?

Thanks!
If you've been pretty consistent in your learning, ie, attending most tutes/labs and can demonstrate that aswell as pretty close to a pass. It's not uncommon to hear of people markers bumping you up just so you can pass. I'm not entirely sure about the pre-req thing, but I assume that you would need to seek permission form your faculty to continue on without the pre-req.

Check to see if they hold a post-exam review, if they do go there with a friend doing the unit and see if there are any little discrepancies?
Goodluck!
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

m.Chemia

« Reply #1327 on: July 11, 2014, 08:59:30 am »
Is putting a tutorial and a chem lab back-to-back a horrible idea?

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1328 on: July 11, 2014, 09:02:49 am »
Is putting a tutorial and a chem lab back-to-back a horrible idea?
I'd probably die, but if you think you can handle it, I don't see why not?

Kanon

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +68
  • School: Carwatha College P-12
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1329 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:02 am »
For anyone that did MTH1030 (might apply to MTH1035), is the assignment due in the support classes or submitted via assignment boxes?

For MTH1020 the assignments were due in support classes and I had my support class on monday, some of the weeks it was pretty stressful.
'12 - English | Methods | Chemistry | Physics | IT Applications | IT Software Development
'14 - Bachelor of Science (Mathematics) / Bachelor of Computer Science | Monash University

Need a website? I run a web design business!  The Summit Digital

m.Chemia

« Reply #1330 on: July 11, 2014, 09:15:30 am »
I'd probably die, but if you think you can handle it, I don't see why not?

My main concern is that people usually get to chem lab early just to get ready and pre-lab talk might start early, if my tute ends late (very unlikely), I might miss the pre-lab and feel super unprepared.

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1331 on: July 11, 2014, 09:39:58 am »
For anyone that did MTH1030 (might apply to MTH1035), is the assignment due in the support classes or submitted via assignment boxes?

For MTH1020 the assignments were due in support classes and I had my support class on monday, some of the weeks it was pretty stressful.
It might change because different semesters, but this semester it was assignment boxes and always due on a Tuesday.

mseleanor

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Mercy College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #1332 on: July 11, 2014, 12:29:24 pm »
As a heads up...
In addition to receiving your results online via your my.monash portal, Monash offers you the opportunity to receive your results via SMS (short text messages sent to your mobile phone).

We intend to send the message between late evening on 11 July and noon on 13 July AEST, when results are released online.

Does this mean we might start receiving them tonight?
2013: VCE
2014: Arts/Law @ Monash University

Jono_CP

« Reply #1333 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:13 pm »
Hi Monash Students,

I haven't acquired a response from Monash for about a week, which is unlike my other emails. Thus, if anyone is willing to respond to my queries I'd greatly appreciate it!

1) May I enquire about the Arts/Education degree?

If I hypothetically enter into this course, will these two be full degree courses? Or is it half of each of education and arts?

Also, what does the education course involve? Can I still pursue my interests in Arts, such as Journalism and philosophy for instance?

2)  On your website there seems to be listed an Arts/Education and Arts/Education (honours). Are these two separate 'things'? Excuse my lousy expression.

3) What is the difference between a standard Arts course and a double degree which may contain Arts? With a standard Arts degree, can you still do Business? I find this very confusing, as there are a wealth of subject areas to do with Arts.

Chazef

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +5
  • School: MLMC
« Reply #1334 on: July 11, 2014, 02:28:47 pm »
Hey who should I contact about taking a unit (FIT1008) alongside its prerequisite (FIT1029)?
2012: legal studies [41]
2013: physics [47], chemistry [45], englang [40], softdev [43], methods [44]
ATAR: 99.20
Computer Science @ Monash