Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 02:37:06 am

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 1420447 times)  Share 

m.Chemia

Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #1125 on: April 28, 2014, 07:49:54 am »
I hate this.

kinslayer

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #1126 on: April 28, 2014, 09:40:17 am »
Hey at least most of yours are in the last week.  >:(

On the other hand, the Racecourse is walking distance from my house  :D

LeviLamp

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +151
  • School: (≚ᄌ≚)ℒℴѵℯ❤
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #1127 on: April 28, 2014, 02:44:18 pm »
WHAT I'm so jealous of you guys getting your timetables already :C
kinslayer, that looks like a fun timetable :'(((
VCE: Chemistry | Biology (2011) | English (2011) | Environmental Science | Mathematical Methods CAS

2013-2015: BSc [Zoology] @ UoM | DLang [German - DISCONTINUED]
2016: GDSc [Botany] @ UoM
2017-2018: MSc [Biosciences - Zoology] @ UoM

Summer: BOTA30006

S1: BOTA20001 | EVSC20004 | BOTA30003 | BIOL90001

S2: GEOG20009 | BOTA30002 | BOTA30005 | EVSC20003 | NRMT90002

Subject and major reviews incoming :)

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #1128 on: April 28, 2014, 03:00:26 pm »
+11
Jaffy tips for exam days at Caulfield:

1. First and foremost, get there on time, even better if you can get there a bit early. If you're a little bit late it'll probably be okay but the invigilators (see point 2) are fairly unpredictable so it's best not to risk it.

2. The people who supervise the exam halls are called invigilators (i.e. they keep watch over everyone). They're the ones who let you go to the bathroom if needs be, and they'll be walking around their assigned columns of desks to see if anyone has a question/needs to pee/is doing something naughty. If they do catch you being a cheeky bugger, they have the capacity to report you to the university's academic board, so don't be silly and you'll be fine.

3. In this coming exam period, RUG UP because you'll probably be waiting a while outside the grandstand at the racecourse. Chances are it's going to be fucking freezing and probably pretty rainy, and you'll be trapped outside until the invigilators let you in ~10 minutes before reading time begins. The interior of the grandstand is heated, so you should be alright once you're inside.

4. This one is (mostly) for the ladies: Go to the bathroom before you get to the racecourse. Blokes won't have too much of an issue if they need the bathroom at the venue before the exam, but the queue to the female toilet is always astoundingly long. Like, around the toilet block long.

5. Got two exams on the one day? I'm so sorry. But it's alright if you're not lucky enough to live nearby - you're right around the corner from Monash's Caulfield campus as well as plenty of restaurants, cafes and shopping centres in that area. You can easily find something to eat for decent prices in the area, and the Monash Caulfield library is close-by for cramming/napping.

6. Do you get peckish during exams? That's alright because you can eat, but if you bring in noisy, smelly or unreasonable food into the exam you might get it taken away from you (and everyone will hate you).

Anyone have anything else? I'll index them here (with credit of course!)

If you've got a three hour exam, good things to eat are almonds in a snaplock back, or just mixed/assorted nuts with water. Obviously have a sippy-bottle to save time on unscrewing bottle caps.

Be prepared for the invigilators to come to your table and stare at you like a weirdo about five minutes into the exam. They're just checking that your face matches your photo. One of them even made a comment to me once and I was like "Um... tryna do an exam brah". (That was in my head. In reality I politely replied and hoped she would leave soon). Just don't be thrown by random distractions/visits. There will also be announcements that go something like "People from [Unit Code], there has been a mistake on page 50. Turn to page 50. Fix the mistake on page 50. Just to repeat one more time, (repeats the whole thing)". They can sometimes happen frequently, so don't be thrown by that, either.

I'll come back if I think of more.

^Sem 2 last year, BMS1062 exam was interrupted for corrections no less than 12 times... lol

Speaking of announcements, you'll usually be sharing the exam hall with a bunch of other random subjects with different length exams to you, so don't freak out if you've got an hour left and suddenly they announce "CANDIDATES FOR XYZ123, YOU HAVE 10 MINUTES LEFT". Especially if you've got a longer exam (3 or 3.5 hours), be prepared for these annoying interruptions.

Another tip, disable your phones for the love of God. Keep them on the floor, in your bag. Even if it rings in your bag its a fine. If it rings or activates on your person or on your desk, you're in potentially much more trouble because it could be construed as cheating. On another topic, do not attempt to cheat. It's unfair but if you're the kind of person who cheats, you either dont care or momentarily overlook that. If you get caught, they will come down on you like a tonne of bricks. You will likely get 0 for that exam and the entire unit. A black mark is recorded against your name for your duration of your stay at monash (and a bit after i think). Good luck explaining that 0 to employers as well.

Ladies Toilets: if you arrive early enough, go use a toilet at Monash Caulfield instead. Otherwise there are TWO toilet blocks at Caulfield Racecourse - one is usually significantly more busy than the other because of its prominence. Otherwise, if it's close to exam start time, just wait until the invigilators open the door, dump your stuff at your desk really quickly and go use the bathroom. So long as you're not carrying anything and don't have your bag, the invigilators will let you use the toilet quickly while everyone is getting seated before the exam starts.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 02:53:11 pm by alondouek »
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #1129 on: April 28, 2014, 05:33:05 pm »
+6
If you've got a three hour exam, good things to eat are almonds in a snaplock back, or just mixed/assorted nuts with water. Obviously have a sippy-bottle to save time on unscrewing bottle caps.

Be prepared for the invigilators to come to your table and stare at you like a weirdo about five minutes into the exam. They're just checking that your face matches your photo. One of them even made a comment to me once and I was like "Um... tryna do an exam brah". (That was in my head. In reality I politely replied and hoped she would leave soon). Just don't be thrown by random distractions/visits. There will also be announcements that go something like "People from [Unit Code], there has been a mistake on page 50. Turn to page 50. Fix the mistake on page 50. Just to repeat one more time, (repeats the whole thing)". They can sometimes happen frequently, so don't be thrown by that, either.

I'll come back if I think of more.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #1130 on: April 28, 2014, 06:24:40 pm »
+5
There will also be announcements that go something like "People from [Unit Code], there has been a mistake on page 50. Turn to page 50. Fix the mistake on page 50. Just to repeat one more time, (repeats the whole thing)". They can sometimes happen frequently, so don't be thrown by that, either.

Speaking of announcements, you'll usually be sharing the exam hall with a bunch of other random subjects with different length exams to you, so don't freak out if you've got an hour left and suddenly they announce "CANDIDATES FOR XYZ123, YOU HAVE 10 MINUTES LEFT". Especially if you've got a longer exam (3 or 3.5 hours), be prepared for these annoying interruptions.
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #1131 on: April 28, 2014, 08:52:54 pm »
+1
No idea if this is good or bad, but I'm so glad chem is over and done with quickly.

Gotta say, exams seem a bit more chill here than at high school... I'm liking this!

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #1132 on: April 28, 2014, 09:08:25 pm »
+5
Mine is perfect. First exam ~8 days from the start of swotvac and exactly 8 days between each of my 3 exams too!

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #1133 on: April 28, 2014, 10:11:09 pm »
not too bad I guess. I'm just scared of the second exam of physics
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #1134 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:51 am »
+3
(Image removed from quote.)

eh not too bad in terms of timing, massive luxury to live in Caulfield hahahaha. That BMS2021 paper is going to be a massive fucking bitch though :o

I like how you blurred your seat numbers. You have such faith in humanity you think some kind nerd will sit your exam for you :p.

Another tip, disable your phones for the love of God. Keep them on the floor, in your bag. Even if it rings in your bag its a fine. If it rings or activates on your person or on your desk, you're in potentially much more trouble because it could be construed as cheating. On another topic, do not attempt to cheat. It's unfair but if you're the kind of person who cheats, you either dont care or momentarily overlook that. If you get caught, they will come down on you like a tonne of bricks. You will likely get 0 for that exam and the entire unit. A black mark is recorded against your name for your duration of your stay at monash (and a bit after i think). Good luck explaining that 0 to employers as well.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

alondouek

• Subject Review God
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Oh to be a Gooner!
  • Respect: +316
  • School: Leibler Yavneh College
« Reply #1135 on: April 29, 2014, 12:36:57 am »
I like how you blurred your seat numbers. You have such faith in humanity you think some kind nerd will sit your exam for you :p.

One can dream :'(

(Actually I just found out that my screenshot extension has a blur function, ain't gonna waste that yo)
2013-2016
Majoring in Genetics and Developmental Biology

2012 ATAR: 96.55
English [48] Biology [40]

Need a driving instructor? Mobility Driving School

ninwa

• Respect: +1021
« Reply #1136 on: April 29, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
+2
A black mark is recorded against your name for your duration of your stay at monash (and a bit after i think). Good luck explaining that 0 to employers as well.

and if you're a law student, good luck ever getting admitted to practice
ExamPro enquiries to [email protected]

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #1137 on: April 29, 2014, 10:15:13 am »
No idea if this is good or bad, but I'm so glad chem is over and done with quickly.

Gotta say, exams seem a bit more chill here than at high school... I'm liking this!
I'd say this is "medium".
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #1138 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:54 am »
I shall be happy then, because I hear a lot of people have bad ones, hahah.

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
« Reply #1139 on: April 29, 2014, 01:20:14 pm »
+2
Be prepared for the invigilators to come to your table and stare at you like a weirdo about five minutes into the exam. They're just checking that your face matches your photo. One of them even made a comment to me once and I was like "Um... tryna do an exam brah". (That was in my head. In reality I politely replied and hoped she would leave soon).

I've had full conversations with invigilators. I must look too relaxed if they think I'd prefer to converse than do my exam.

Ladies Toilets: if you arrive early enough, go use a toilet at Monash Caulfield instead. Otherwise there are TWO toilet blocks at Caulfield Racecourse - one is usually significantly more busy than the other because of its prominence. Otherwise, if it's close to exam start time, just wait until the invigilators open the door, dump your stuff at your desk really quickly and go use the bathroom. So long as you're not carrying anything and don't have your bag, the invigilators will let you use the toilet quickly while everyone is getting seated before the exam starts.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||