Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:24:16 am

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 177207 times)  Share 

happy121

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #195 on: April 07, 2020, 01:18:43 pm »
Hey guyz, I have done this test this yr so I am happy to help any of you guyz. Unfortunately I didnt get in but I will try my best to give u the best of the best advice  ;D
Hi Zuha,
I have my selective school test in 2 months time and was wondering if you could give me some tips on how I could do the reading comprehension well. Also some basic information on how the questions in the test are like.
Thanks

happy121

• Adventurer
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2020, 09:46:47 pm »
Hi,
What school are you trying out for? I am also an applicant for this year. And how is your vocabulary? Vocabulary could help a lot for reading.
Hi,
I am trying out for SCHS and Mac Rob. How about you? Well I guess I am okay with my vocabulary, I know I have to work on it though.

happy121

• Adventurer
« Reply #197 on: April 08, 2020, 11:43:22 am »
First preference MHS, second preference SCHS. I have Currently been revising my mock exams and will be sitting another 30-40 after the holidays. I hope we both get in to our prefered school :)
Hope so,
By the way do you go to any tutoring I go James An, and not going anymore so I am just revising all the things I have learnt about. what about you any tutoring you go to and what are you practising for?

_rohan.r_

• Trailblazer
« Reply #198 on: April 08, 2020, 04:04:56 pm »
+1
Hi,
I am trying out for SCHS and Mac Rob. How about you? Well I guess I am okay with my vocabulary, I know I have to work on it though.

Well, vocabulary is a main aspect of the exam, especially in verbal reasoning! The more words you have under your belt, the higher the chance of getting in!

Frostflake

• Adventurer
« Reply #199 on: April 14, 2020, 12:59:09 pm »
Can someone plz help me? I don’t rly know how to study for this. I mean I have been going to James An for the past couple of months but I don’t know if that’s enough or I’m using it to it’s full extent. And I feel like I also need to study more because of isolation but I’m not sure how. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

successismygoal

• Adventurer
« Reply #200 on: April 14, 2020, 01:14:16 pm »
Hello guys I would be more than happy to help with what you need to study for, and if you need help with the preferencing of schools and how that affects entry... the end goal is to not stress much, just show the examiners what you got you know!
VCE
2022: |Biology [43]| |Legal [50]|

Frostflake

• Adventurer
« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2020, 06:56:33 pm »
Does anyone have any free resources that helped them? Also can anyone give me tips on what kind of question to study for?

MAN0033

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2020, 09:22:46 pm »
+1
Hi,

Do the government website tests at least twice. Do one before the test day and one the month before. Read the age

happy121

• Adventurer
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2020, 08:14:03 pm »
Hello guys I would be more than happy to help with what you need to study for, and if you need help with the preferencing of schools and how that affects entry... the end goal is to not stress much, just show the examiners what you got you know!
hey successismygoal,
I will be sitting the exam this year. if you have discord by any chance please send me your username, because I want to discuss the type of questions which might appear in the test.

aanyass

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #204 on: June 24, 2020, 11:07:59 am »
hi pi,
do you think you have any examples of any ideal essays? (persuasive and creative), maybe from your time or any others that would indicate the expected standard of a superior for the exam? the more exapmples the better.  :) thx

Linkon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2020, 03:12:31 pm »
Hey I’m new to the form, and I will be sitting the exam next year. Approximately what scores will you need to get into MHS if u attend an uncompetitive school (only applicant) and what content does the exam cover in each section?

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »
+3
Hello Linkon! Welcome to the forums!  ;D

It's really great that you're thinking about this 1 year in advance!
People have gotten in by getting 2 superiors + every other section above average (that is, high average or above average) in the past years but it really varies year to year, especially because as the years go by, the competition is increasing. This means that when you write the exam, this may vary. So, it's better to do the ultimate best you can, because in the end, you will be rewarded and aiming for the highest will put you in a good position to achieve the highest, even if that means achieving superiors in all the sections.

The examination includes 5 tests:
- Verbal Reasoning (multiple choice, 30 mins)
- Numerical Reasoning (multiple choice, 30 minutes)
- A persuasive OR creative writing (30 mins+ 5 mins planning time)
- Reading comprehension (multiple choice, 30 minutes)
- Mathematics (multiple choice, 30 minutes)

On the very first page, in the very first post, there is detailed information about what all the 5 sections involve + additional advice. This is the link: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=155074.0
This link has the practice tests which will all give you a feel for what type of questions they may ask in each section:
https://www.education.vic.gov.au/parents/learning/Pages/selective-entry-practice.aspx

Best of luck with the exam!

Linkon

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2020, 04:33:28 pm »
+1
Did you attend a selective school yourself and if you did which one?

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2020, 04:39:10 pm »
Yes. I've pmed you.  :)

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2020, 05:03:29 pm »
Hey, I can see that this forum is sort of a ghost town right now, but I still would like to ask a question. How long should a writing piece? No longer than 4-5 paragraphs or no longer than a page and half?
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."