Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:28:44 am

Author Topic: Difference between Melbourne JD and Monash Undergrad Law?  (Read 15738 times)  Share 

spectroscopy

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +373
Re: Difference between Melbourne JD and Monash Undergrad Law?
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2017, 06:07:55 am »
+6
There are some people (especially members on the LSS committee) who underload in some years and therefore take longer; however depending on your non-uni commitments it is definitely possible to complete the double degree in 5 years.
I'll also note to those reading this that whilst the double degree is a 5.5 year workload, Monash structure the course so that students overload two units at some point or complete two summer units (generally arts units); resulting in the course being completed in 5 years.

The main difference re: time between the two paths is therefore that the Monash path can be completed in a minimum of 5 years; whilst the minimum is 6 years for Melbourne.
I mean talking about minimum times gets messy because if you really wanna overload you can do the melbourne uni combo 4.5 years (2+2.5).

you can do your melbourne uni undergrad in 2 years if you overload after your first year and do: 4+1(winter)+4+3(summer overload)+5+2(study abroad/winter subjects)+5 = 24 and it's not even that difficult to pull off (3 in the summer is nowhere near as scary as it sounds) then you can go straight to law the next year and do that in 2.5.   
but the thing is i think the focus on time to complete the degree is irrelevant in most cases anyway. most people don't finish as soon as possible because people enjoy university and like their time there. especially if you spend it doing things like joining clubs/going on exchange/volunteering/joining sports teams/travelling/etc. so if you really wanna overload you can do it in 4.5 but to be honest the argument of time is immaterial in the grand scheme of things. 1 extra year in a 40 odd year career will not mean too much and I think you would be better served enjoying your time at university and just picking the university and degree structure you want more.
I was considering law/commerce double degree as an undergrad but didnt like the fact you can only do subjects from those 2 areas in your degree. at melbourne you can do undergrad commerce with arts/science/anything breadth and then if i wanna do law later i can (but i've changed my mind which is another great thing about 3+3 model).

i really think you should just pick whichever uni you want to go to more/weigh the risks& benefits of going straight to CSP vs not locking yourself in
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 06:12:41 am by spectroscopy »

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 11:35:21 pm »
In terms of the Monash JD and UoM JD, are they relatively viewed the same/similarly by potential employers in terms of prestige?
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50:40 pm »
+3
Hey guys, just a bit off a tangent. Suppose you don't meet the ATAR for the Monash double degree for law, what would be the best course of option if you still wanted to do law? Would it be to do an internal transfer after a semester or go to another university to do undergrad law or do an undergrad degree, then a JD at either Monash or Melbourne?
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Jigsaw

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 09:34:22 pm »
+1
Hey guys, just a bit off a tangent. Suppose you don't meet the ATAR for the Monash double degree for law, what would be the best course of option if you still wanted to do law? Would it be to do an internal transfer after a semester or go to another university to do undergrad law or do an undergrad degree, then a JD at either Monash or Melbourne?

Adding onto this, will certain employers strictly consider applicants from respectable universities (such as Monash and Melbourne), over courses whereby it is somewhat easier to gain admission into?
2017: | Business Management [47] |
2018: | Legal Studies [50] (Premier's) | English [48] | Accounting [41] | Japanese SL [38] | Maths Methods [32] |

ATAR: 99.40 2019 Onwards: Laws (Hons)/Arts @ Monash

The Raven

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 11:19:27 pm »
+2

This is a tricky question to answer as it depends on your performance in first year uni to be able to get a transfer. If you don't end up doing well enough, you'll be stuck doing a degree you don't want to do. Whereas if you were to do an undergrad and then apply for the postgraduate JD, you will have more time to prepare. It also might help you decide if you really want to do Law. Doing law at another university with a lower entry requirement is also a possibility, however it could restrict your immediate career prospects.
Law is a pretty prestige focused area and depending on what type of law you want to practice, there is a large advantage to going to a Group of 8 Uni like Monash or Melbourne Uni. This is especially the case with high paying corporate law firms.

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »
+4
The way I see it, finishing an undergraduate degree with good marks enough to do the JD requires you to do well for three years, consistently.

If you plan to transfer in - you can go HARD in your first year of Uni working for an HD average (which would basically guarantee you entry from Monash undergrad law internal transfer), and then be done with it. IF you have the option - take it. Because it's guaranteed. (Also, getting the option is basically 1 year of work instead of 3 years of work).

Better to transfer internally imo.

Also - better to go to a Go8 uni for Law imo :)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 04:13:27 pm »
+1
Just to reinforce the above, given how elitist some law employers can be, your employment prospects will almost definitely be better if you attend a G08 uni (in my opinion).

:)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

MathsQuestIsBad

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:22 am »
Can I get confirmation that guaranteed admission into UoM JD is a >99 ATAR and an undergraduate degree in Melbourne? Cheers!