Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:22:11 am

Author Topic: ANY FINAL TIPS BEFORE THE EXAM  (Read 2017 times)  Share 

Sherlock.Holmes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
ANY FINAL TIPS BEFORE THE EXAM
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:21:11 pm »
+1
Hey y'all

Anyone got any final tips and tricks before the exam, things we should during the exam, how we should go through the exam, any specific thing we should watch out for?

Im just stressing a lot haha :)

Nexica

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +19
Re: ANY FINAL TIPS BEFORE THE EXAM
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:05 pm »
+2
Hey y'all

Anyone got any final tips and tricks before the exam, things we should during the exam, how we should go through the exam, any specific thing we should watch out for?

Im just stressing a lot haha :)
Personally, during reading time I find the hardest questions and try to figure them out in my head.

Good luck on your further exam tomorrow (and monday). I'm stressed as well  :P
lol

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 07:46:07 pm »
+2
Stick with doing them the same way that you've been doing past exams - don't do what I did and think that because you had heaps of time left during practice exams that you should go slower and make sure you're reading everything properly...and then run out of time haha.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:10:07 pm »
+3
VCAA usually does this thing where they reiterate one question poorly done the year before and one question from 3-4 years ago.

This year, my prediction will be that there’ll be a killer Geometry and Measurement question, as in 2015 (4 years ago), there was the infamous 50 cent question. If you’re doing this module, I’d highly recommend that you check that question out and have it and/or the relevant formula in your bound reference if you know you’ll mess it up.

In the data core module, make sure you read the questions carefully - they always have one to trip you up via the wording in Exam 1 (the multiple choice only exam). Also, I don’t know about this, but there’s a small chance that a reiteration of VCAA 2011 Exam 1 Q12 will reappear, however, that appeared in VCAA 2014 E1 Q12 and VCAA 2017 E1 Q16; if the pattern continues, it shouldn’t appear this year (instead, it should next year), but anything could happen. This type of question has so far always been notoriously poorly done, so yeah, would recommend looking at that one in particular.

Unfortunately I have no tips or tricks for the financial module, as it appeared after 2014 (my Year 12 year).

My best advice though is read the Examination Reports. These usually have a goldmine of advice that people always forget to use! I personally recommend reading the previous year’s one for your modules and skimming through the poorly answered questions of your modules (any with <40% of the state that got that question correct) for the past 4 years - this usually covers all bases.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Sherlock.Holmes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 04:32:01 am »
+3
Thank you so much 🙏🏽

Smogul

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:19 am »
+2
My teacher gave me this advice:

Once you've finished reading a question, re-read it again to understand what its asking for. After you've answered the question, read the question AGAIN to make sure you've answered what its asking for.

I find this tip really useful as looking at past exams, people have made some silly mistakes on fairly simple questions.

P.S: If you've answered a question quickly (excluding Q1/2/3 of modules since they're usually easy) and thought to yourself "that was easy", just double-check your answer to ensure you haven't made a mistake anywhere.

Good luck for the exams!

sara.vce

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 05:08:34 pm »
+1
Hey there!
I've got a few last-minute tips if you're still interested and there's more on my blog that I'll link below for you.
1. Watch youtube videos for the concepts you're still struggling with
I honestly do that ALL THE TIME and it helps provide examples and new strategies.
2. Study with friends
They can help teach you new techniques or you can teach them something to consolidate your own knowledge.
3. Borrow a textbook from your school library and go through some last-minute questions
Application problems, multiple choice or even short answer, all of the above are useful to practise exam-style tasks.

Here are some links to my blog if you're curious!
How I Study for Maths = https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/10/10/how-i-revise-for-maths/
A technique to make sure you've answered an exam question well = https://chamomileandcolour.wordpress.com/2019/06/30/the-usq-approach/