Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:49:53 am

Author Topic: On what grounds can illness misadvanture be applied for?  (Read 1376 times)

jq12328

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
On what grounds can illness misadvanture be applied for?
« on: October 21, 2018, 01:57:02 pm »
Hi,

I've checked nesa's website, but it's not extremely specific so i thought i'd see if anyone here has had experience applying for/knows about the regulations surrounding illness misadventure forms.

How serious does the illness have to be in order for it to be accepted as a reason? Like, does it have to be so extreme that the illness would result in hospitalisation? I've also heard that mental illness isn't accepted as a valid reason, is this true? I have adhd and have also been experiencing depression and anxiety since year 8, and the symptoms have gotten a lot worse this year, especially during this hsc examination period. But i've been granted disability provisions (rest break, small group) and the info said that if the illness has been catered to by dis prov, then it isn't eligible. It also said that if the illness effected exam preperation, then that also isn't accepted. Since they said the illness can't be a long-term one unless there are flare-ups and it has to directly effect the exam on the day, i'm not sure where mental illness fits in with this. I'm on medication and have a psychiatrist, and i was hospitalised late last year for my condition, but that wasn't during this hsc period and i haven't had any 'flare-ups' so extreme the past week. My friend told me that i should just apply any way just in case, but tbh i really don't feel comfortable if it isn't valid. i've experienced a lot of guilt over receiving 'advantages' and stuff, and it's a really hard feeling to shake.

Thanks for your help

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: On what grounds can illness misadvanture be applied for?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 05:10:36 pm »
+6
Hey there! Welcome to the forums! :)

First of all, huge props to you for fighting through what sounds like really difficult circumstances in your HSC year.

My advice would be to apply - I don't think you should feel guilty for accessing a resource that is there to help people who've had these sorts of circumstances, like yourself. It's not there as an advantage, it's there as an equaliser. I'm not sure if you are eligible, and so that's why I'd just say to chat to your school about it and see what you come up with. I think it's an avenue worth going down ;D

Best of luck for the remainder of exams!! Let us know if we can help in any way ;D