Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:48 pm

Author Topic: Should I drop chem?  (Read 1485 times)

monibah

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Should I drop chem?
« on: November 10, 2019, 10:15:13 pm »
I’m doing EES, bio, chem for science. I’m particularly bad at chem (no one in my class got high marks because of our teacher who can’t teach and barely knows the content) so I’ve decided to drop it. Do I need to do chem to get a bachelor of science (eventually med school if everything goes well)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Should I drop chem?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 11:02:29 am »
+3
I’m doing EES, bio, chem for science. I’m particularly bad at chem (no one in my class got high marks because of our teacher who can’t teach and barely knows the content) so I’ve decided to drop it. Do I need to do chem to get a bachelor of science (eventually med school if everything goes well)

This can be checked on the UAC undergraduate degree finder. Here is what I found for bachelor of science:
- UNSW: Chemistry and Mathematics plus one of Biology, Earth and Environmental Science, Physics, Mathematics Extension 1 (depending on chosen area of study)
- USYD: Mathematics (Band 4).
- Macquarie uni: Mathematics, at least 2 units of science (depending on what you choose to major in eg for astronomy and astrophysics, applied mathematics, pure mathematics and physics majors: Physics. For applied mathematics and pure mathematics majors: Mathematics Extension 1 (Band E2) or Mathematics Extension 2)
- WSU: At least two of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics. Students who have not undertaken HSC-level mathematics, or have attempted Mathematics General or Mathematics but achieved no higher than Band 2 or 3, may be required to take a study pattern that includes preparatory studies in mathematics in readiness for the higher level mathematics required in this program.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
Re: Should I drop chem?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 12:49:24 pm »
+3
Just to elaborate on what's been posted above ^^^^

I would recommend pursuing early entry and doing your best to achieve a good ATAR (and put yourself in the best position for offers). Personally, it was only at the end of year 12 that I knew I wanted to pursue Science so I didn't even consider taking Maths and Chemistry (which I don't at all regret as my skills at the time were in other areas).

However, I still received the following Science offers:
  • Guaranteed entry for a Bachelor of Advanced Science @ UNSW
  • Early entry for a Bachelor of Advanced Science @ Macquarie
  • HSC True Rewards for Bachelor of Advanced Science @ Western Sydney
  • Early entry Bachelor of Science @ UNE

I applied to all these schemes as I wasn't sure whether I'd be accepted. However, I've realised a lot of these unis have assumed knowledge which differs from prerequisites. Assumed knowledge means that you'd benefit from having taken that course and the lecturers will assume you have studied the course (meaning you'll have to work harder if you didn't) but you can still take the course if you didn't study these subjects. Prerequisites mean your entry to the course relies on you having studied the prescribed HSC/ equivalent subjects.

At the end of the day, if a course requires a prerequisite that you didn't like at HSC level, you probably won't decide to major in that subject. That being said, it's always a good idea to do your research, compare courses and remember that you still have a chance of getting in! Good luck!!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D