Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 04:10:08 pm

Author Topic: Software Development study scores  (Read 3377 times)  Share 

TheIllusion

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Software Development study scores
« on: February 10, 2019, 09:41:09 pm »
Hello AN,
I just wanted to know how difficult it is to achive a study score of 45+ in Software Development with Distance Education (changed name to Virtual Shool Victoria). What are the best ways I could work to achieve this goal?

2019: English 3/4, Further Mathematics 3/4, Mathematical Methods 3/4, Revolutions 3/4, Software Development 3/4

2020: ?

BKmaps

• Adventurer
  • BK
  • Respect: +1
Re: Software Development study scores
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 11:30:14 pm »
+1
Hello AN,
I just wanted to know how difficult it is to achive a study score of 45+ in Software Development with Distance Education (changed name to Virtual Shool Victoria). What are the best ways I could work to achieve this goal?

It isn't that hard to get 45+ if you enjoy the subject. Truth be told, I took the subject very lightly (barely did any textbook questions) but I absolutely loved every bit of the subject. Because I'm a gaming nerd who's had experience with developing servers and stuff it really helped me understand the fundamentals of the content involved. (Software development is literally [well what i think]: What IT skills can be used to benefit or strengthen a business? (which in my case, I compared it to my own game servers.) I received an overall A+ in my SACS as a result. I'd say the SACS and the SAT are the easiest part towards a 45+ because it mostly involves coding (which I'm alright at) and some basic application of content. However, the exam should be consolidated as well. I ended up getting high A in that exam because I panicked and couldn't manage time that well (pretty sure i missed out on 10 marks) but I hope to learn and try again this year. The content itself shouldn't be too hard to grasp if you're familiar with computers and software and such. It comes down to organisational and time management really.
englinguistics 36
mysoftdev 43
methhead 35
speshal kids 29
chemotherapy 30
physically hard 31

atar 92.75 somehow
2019 rox

Unsplash

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +9
Re: Software Development study scores
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:25:01 pm »
+1
Hello AN,

I know I'm really late to the party but nonetheless still thought I could help. My school had a Software Develepoment class however, the teacher had never taught the subject before and I felt more comfortable teaching myself the majority of the content/course.

1. SAC's don't mean much. Make sure you obviously get ranked as highly as possible, ideally rank 1 by doing well on SAC's however I know that I wasn't getting 95%+ on my SAC's I got 35/40 for U3 and 37/40 for U4. With SAC 1 being 95% and SAC 2 100%. However, your teachers marking is all relative. As long as they are consistent between the cohort there is nothing to worry about just do your best.

2. IIRC only 2 of the criterion from the SAT are actual manipulation or coding. Focus on ensuring you do as well as possible on the other parts. This is where it is easy to gain marks as your peers because most people get stuck into the trap of spending hours fixing a small bug. Focus on making better documentation, testing and evaluation.

3. Make sure you create or organise the topics that will be examined in some way. I just had a Google Doc with each SD dot point with all the information that I could find across the internet that was pertinent to it. Definitions, advantages, disadvantages, explanations etc

4. Read past examiners reports on how they expect answers to be structured. The exam is 50% and makes up a huge portion, you need to do well on this. There will likely be questions that assess content you didn't even know existed (I had one on RAM, looking back it can fit in to the SD but is not explicitly mentioned), as long as you use some common sense you will be fine.

5. Consistent work will be rewarded. I dedicated the least amount of time out of all my subjects to Software Development but did the best because I was consistent throughout the year. Heaps of people leave this as a "bottom 2" subject, even a little bit of work will put you ahead of a head of people. This is definitely a subject that a little bit of effort goes a long way!

Good luck for the rest of the year. Let me know if you have any questions.

*To get 45+ you need to be in ~32 people in the state (going off last year).