Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 07:58:40 am

Author Topic: Module 7 Depth Study  (Read 1881 times)  Share 

ushna

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Module 7 Depth Study
« on: May 30, 2019, 08:26:41 pm »
Hey guys,
For my depth study on module 7, we have to synthesise an organic compound. I have decided to make butyl ethanoate. For the introduction of the report, we have to answer 2 questions each worth 1 mark
1. Gives the date of first synthesis
2. Identifies first maker
However, I cant find answers to these questions. Can someone please help with that.
Thank you!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
Re: Module 7 Depth Study
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:20:28 pm »
Hey guys,
For my depth study on module 7, we have to synthesise an organic compound. I have decided to make butyl ethanoate. For the introduction of the report, we have to answer 2 questions each worth 1 mark
1. Gives the date of first synthesis
2. Identifies first maker
However, I cant find answers to these questions. Can someone please help with that.
Thank you!

Hey!!!

After searching for some time, I found a source:

Quote from: IAQUK Resources - Butyl Acetate- History and Production
Butyl Acetate was not discovered until the 1940s. The first record of this substance can be found in a 1945 article by Rolf Altschul in the Journal of the American Chemical Society.  These products are made by combining acetic acid with another chemical or compound.

You would have had to do a lot of manoeuvring around web pages to get this. I first searched up the name, then saw something about 'fisher esterification' then went on to search for that. After a few more complicated searches, and I finally searched up "butyl acetate history' to have it come up on the first page. Oh well, what can we do ::). If I were you, I would go on to search the name of the scientist and find this certain article and verify this.

A very interesting compound you have chosen!! Let me know if you need any more help ;D ;D ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

ushna

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 04:15:56 pm »
Thank you so much for the help. If you could help me with one more part, that would be great.
After synthesising the product, we have to do some tests explain how the tests performed provide a proof of correct compound synthesis. I need help with which tests should I do for the product?

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +305
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 10:06:57 pm »
Thank you so much for the help. If you could help me with one more part, that would be great.
After synthesising the product, we have to do some tests explain how the tests performed provide a proof of correct compound synthesis. I need help with which tests should I do for the product?

Hey! Glad my answer was of help to you!

From looking over lab reports of the synthesis of butyl acetate for a few minutes, I found these tests that verified the presence of butyl acetate, thereby providing proof of correct compound synthesis (I've also embedded the wikipedia page as well to give you a bit more understanding):

1. Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy

2.Infrared Spectroscopy

3. Gas Chromatography

Here is the lab report where I got the information from. Give the whole document a read as it is super useful not only for the testing part but also the general chemical concept as well. By reading the discussion, I get an impression where they have used these tests in order to verify the purity of the final compound, and whether it was pure butyl acetate or butyl acetate with impurities. The infrared spectroscopy tests, to my impression, are used to identify the functional groups in the synthesised compound, which would also verify whether it is butyl acetate or not. I guess they have also compared the gas chromatography results they gained from their own synthesised compound to pre-existing data, which would also help to verify whether it butyl acetate or not. You should check up and do further research on this, and just try to apply the general concepts of these tests to the synthesis of butyl acetate. Basically, these three tests verify the final compound produced from the synthesis, and check to see whether it is butyl acetate or not. By doing this, the researcher would gain the effectiveness of the synthesis.
 I might be wrong, so feel free to check up on me and let me know which parts I'm wrong ;D.

Hopefully that helped! If that did not make sense, then I'll try to explain it again or someone else will! Let me know if you need any more help ;D
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!