Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:25:37 am

Author Topic: Hey Guys my tone is horrible!  (Read 1031 times)  Share 

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
Hey Guys my tone is horrible!
« on: April 12, 2019, 12:06:32 pm »
Guys! To me my tone sounds very weird in English cause I often get Ariana grande like slurs but when I sing in Hindi it sounds crisp. But the thing is I want to aim to major in English and Hindi singing when I go to uni but I really want to fix my singing English pronunciation. I mean when I talk it sounds perfect but when singing. It’s often because I get out of pitch. What should I do?
-KgkG-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Hey Guys my tone is horrible!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 12:22:18 pm »
+7
Hey, Kombmail!

When it comes to singing in a different language, and even in English really, it's a good idea to sit down and deconstruct the lyrics word by word. When I sing in German, Italian, Japanese or Korean, I write my own phonetic translations down to help me achieve a more accurate pronunciation. It can be time-consuming to do but if you're noticing that it's a problem, this is a great way to do it  :)

The English language also has a crazy amount of diphthongs which can challenge your pitch and tone. For example, the word "day" with an American accent comes out as "day-ee" and if you sing the "ee" more, it can be quite nasty if it's not in the stylistic prescriptions of the song. What you would like to work towards is pronouncing it more as "daye", rhyming with "aye", and putting that "ee" at the very end of the note so it doesn't adjust the rounder sound of the voice. Your tone will be much more consistent if you make sure you pronounce each lyric clearly and with conviction.

Alongside fixing tone, you can work on your pitch by reading sheet music for your songs or aurally working out the notes on a piano. This can help you keep in tune and know exactly what you're singing. Visualising the actual melody itself is an effective tactic to improve the movement in your voice so I would highly recommend it.

Ariana Grande is a bit of a tricky choice vocally to sing so perhaps consider either choosing a different artist or reducing her music's complexity to more manageable pitches. Rather than singing say a crazy run with six or seven fast pitches in between, aim to find a note in that chord that is more sustainable and easy to perfect first before you work towards the runs. For the HSC, also consider singing in Hindi if you're more comfortable with it. This will maximise your performance and can give you more confidence. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2019, 12:26:44 pm »
Thanks Angelina!
Ps do you know the minimum atar for a bachelors of music at ur institute?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2019, 04:41:36 pm »
Thanks Angelina!

I think the minimum atar for the con is 70 (but you also need a successful audition). There's some more info on the uac page here https://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/usyd/513415.shtml. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 05:34:56 pm »
+1
Thanks Angelina!
I think the minimum atar for the con is 70 (but you also need a successful audition). There's some more info on the uac page here https://www.uac.edu.au/undergraduate/courses/usyd/513415.shtml. :)

Can confirm the above  :) It’s 70 with a successful audition/interview depending on what you apply for. Music 1/2 assumed knowledge is also advised so you’re set there. It’s more for which degree you go for. Requirements further vary between classical, jazz and contemporary so definitely research and see what’s right for you  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music