Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:13:18 pm

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 76812 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2019, 05:05:39 pm »
How do you make your designs so neat and flawless?? Even using protractors & rulers I doubt I could get that level of precision.

What is it that you like about further?

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2019, 09:12:33 pm »
+4
How do you make your designs so neat and flawless?? Even using protractors & rulers I doubt I could get that level of precision.

What is it that you like about further?

I really don't know how the design came out so neat but it was mainly done with a really strategic plan I made in Photoshop a few hours before I started hand drawing it on! Protracters and a good 50cm ruler really does help with hand-drawing the design on, but its mainly just having a good amount of patience and treating each piece equally! I really do love sewing which may be a reason why I actually treated it well and most likely why it looks as neat as it does. Here is a pic of the design I made in Photoshop before risking it onto my real fabric piece!

There are dotted lines I've made through each star so you can see if there are any lines that can be made in 'one go' such as the one on the top left of the highest star all the way to the bottom right of the lower star! Doing stuff like this makes it easier for me to draw it on and with a nice ruler and protractor along the way, you can make it look pretty flawless! 8)

I love Further for so many reasons! I've always been a visual person that likes order, so when I first learned about Data and Statistics I loved it. I'm the type of person that struggles to memorise stuff (people that do Bio, Psych, Revs or a Language really are amazing) and I like to look at patterns which is why Further sort of just clicked to me! Not only that, but since you can bring a bound reference and CAS into both exams, it doesn't test you on how well you can memorise but rather how close to perfection you can get using the basic skills. There has always been a part of me that would like to be a statistician so me and Further get along like best buds. ;D. I really just like the idea of predicting stuff from different types of data especially seeing it visually represented makes me jump in excitement. Wordy subjects have always been complicated to me and mathematical equation/pattern just makes it so much easier to truly understand what's going on ???. It also stops you to make silly little mistakes as well as it easy to apply to real-life (and its helpful other subjects) 8)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 08:20:11 pm »
+7
Update: 26/10/2019

Here is a mini update on my 3/4 because I haven't posted in a while!

☆Further 3/4☆
So my Further exam is next Friday and I don't feel too worried. I was expecting to be a lot more nervous and panicking by now? ???. I also finished making my bound reference a few weeks ago too, The crazy thing about it is that it's only 5 pages including the front and back page! I'm really proud of how this came out and I think it may be a confidence booster for the exam. My goal at the start of the year was to have as many pages as I could so it would act as a safety net, but now I've realised that the formula sheet pretty much has everything so there is no need to worry.  The front page of my bound reference is actually a drawing I did for my teacher for her birthday, so I thought it would be a nice touch since I won't be able to see her in the exam ;) (If she can't come into the exam I'll bring her in spiritually ;D).

Here are some sample pages of what my bound reference looks like 8)

I'm honestly just really surprised at how I've progressed in this subject. I never thought it would go this well. Now its just preparing myself mentally for the exam. Do you guys have any tips to relax before the big day? :D

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 04:32:51 pm »
+2
Oh my goodness, your bound reference is so gorgeous!! Five pages sounds perfect as it will actually be useful in the exam because you won't have to go flipping through pages and pages to find what you need. Good luck!! <3

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 06:22:43 pm »
+3
How'd do you find the Further exam, ashmi?

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 06:13:04 pm »
+8
How'd do you find the Further exam, ashmi?

I did really well! It was a good exam with a nice variety of questions, however, it was much easier than previous years so I'm expecting one hell of an exam 2 ;D

Usually I panic before an exam like this, but one of my teachers taught me a really good technique to stay calm and focus really easily. When I walked into the exam room (this was my first 3/4 exam), I didn't feel nervous at all, in fact, I felt really calm and somewhat excited! I was able to get the exam done in 40 min with 50 min of editing time which I used by redoing the exam all over again, with plenty of spare time to triple check all my answers. One of my teachers at my school is a Further VCAA examiner and she made a list of all the answers for Exam 1 which I checked and it sounds like a 40/40 8). (I'm just hoping that my exam booklet matches the bubbles I shaded on the MCQ sheet now ;)).

Right now I'm just chilling and not doing any more work for Further except reading the study design or looking at my bound ref. I'm quite curious what questions will be on Exam 2 this Monday coming. Overall I really liked the exam this year!

Nexica

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +19
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2019, 07:45:48 pm »
One of my teachers at my school is a Further VCAA examiner and she made a list of all the answers for Exam 1
If you still have the list - what did she put as the answer for Q7 in Matrices? That question killed me  :'(

Also, congratulations on your (hopefully) 40/40 on exam 1!  ;D Best of luck on Exam 2 this Monday.
lol

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2019, 08:15:57 pm »
+5
If you still have the list - what did she put as the answer for Q7 in Matrices? That question killed me  :'(

Also, congratulations on your (hopefully) 40/40 on exam 1!  ;D Best of luck on Exam 2 this Monday.

For Ques 7 on Matrices, myself and my teachers all got A! It asks "How many ways can Y get a message to W by sending it directly to one other person?". By using the word 'other', the question is implying it goes through a middle person.

The idea was to understand that:
Y -> (Someone) -> W
When you just list all the possible people Y can go it's only W, X and Z.
The possibilities for W to receive a message were either from U, V or Y.
Because the question is asking for a middle person and not directly, you can eliminate option Y -> W, therefore, none of the above is correct! (The answer is 0).

My teachers believe that the trap was for students to misinterpret the question and think of direct links rather than a middle person. There was nothing to do with dominance anything. It just wanted to check you understood what the matrix itself meant and also if you slowly read the question during reading time!  ;D

Hope that helps and good luck on Monday!

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 04:47:52 pm »
+7
Time for another update! Totally not to procrastinate on work hahaha.

So I've got Further Exam 2 tomorrow and somewhat excited to get it done. I'm not feeling the good vibe coming from this exam but I guess we will see how that goes. :) Since Exam 1 was much easier than usual, I'm slightly scared to see what type of hard questions they will have. I'm going to try and aim for full marks considering how Exam 1 went! Also for my Further buddies out there, good luck and how did you guys go for Exam 1? ;D

I'm also currently debating if I should drop Physics and pick up Algorithmics? ??? If you do Algorithmics or Physics,I would love to hear your opinion on the subject because I'm quite uncertain about what to do. I'm not really enjoying Physics right now and just looking for some better options.

For Product Design, I nearly have finished sewing my Yukata! My folio is due next week and hopefully, I might be productive and post some pictures more pictures on here :D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 10:41:08 pm »
Wow, that is amazing! How long did that take you too make it? The colour choice is really nice, and having a small sliver of green makes it different!
Kinda jealous that you have a dress form...... ;)

How was exam 2, did you think you went ok?

2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 06:49:19 pm »
+1
How did Exam 2 go, ashmi?

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 08:37:53 pm »
+6
Wow, that is amazing! How long did that take you too make it? The colour choice is really nice, and having a small sliver of green makes it different!
Kinda jealous that you have a dress form...... ;)

How was exam 2, did you think you went ok?

It took about 5 hours to draw the pattern on and about 4 hours of sewing the pieces together! Dress forms are honestly such a lifesaver. I can't live without one anymore ;D. Highly recommend the cheap ones from Lincaft and Spotlight. Got a super nice range of different colours.

How did Exam 2 go, ashmi?

Exam 2 went alright, but definitely not my best. I finished the exam in about 40 minutes with 50 minutes editing time to redo the exam which was super nice :). However, I walked out of the exam realising that I put the wrong starting value for a recurrence relation (the easiest question in Further Maths) and was kind of bummed out for the rest of the day. :'(

I'm just really upset that I already know I've lost a mark and that chance of a 50 Study Score sort of went down the drain instantly. I'm pretty sure that all my other answers are correct though! So it looks like its about 59/60 for exam 2. I heard a lot of people saying that the didn't finish the exam or that it was completely different to the other years so I'm not too sure if that still gives me a shot at 50? I just really hope that my score is above my goal which is 45 (but deep down its 47). Overall, the exam went alright! Could have been a lot worse ;)

I'm sort of being hit with Further nostalgia now and I already miss this subject! It feels especially weird keeping your CAS on exact mode with radians too, definitely not used to it after constantly having to change it for Further. ;)

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2019, 01:10:12 pm »
+8
~Update! 18/11/2019~

So with my 3/4 exams done and dusted it is time for me to seriously cram my 1/2 subjects!

I've just finished my English exam which was a comparative essay and an argument analysis. It went alright and I'm super happy to get it done and dusted. English has gone really well this year and I'm actually quite surprised how well my essays have been improving, didn't think it was going to go this smoothly. :D

Tomorrow I have both a Methods and PDT exam back to back.... Thankfully the Methods Exam 2 is all to do with the CAS which I am pretty happy about! (Thank you Further Maths for giving me CAS confidence) I haven't really studied as much as I would like, but thankfully the CAS can do a lot of things (that's right I'm look at you Polynomial Tools solver 8)) which solves my poor arithmetic problem and now I can focus more on complex understanding. I'm quite excited for the Product Design exam as it has a drawing component, it will hopefully be a good, relaxing exam after Methods.

I have a Physics exam this Wednesday and at this point in time, I have absolutely given up on torque. I was really enjoying Physics till this AOS appeared and it has completely ruined this subject. :'( Pretty glad though its nowhere to be seen in Unit 3/4.

Chemistry on the other hand is this Friday and thanks to Further Maths for all of Unit 4 having a SAC on the days I also have a Chemistry SAC has completely ruined my schedule. I'm glad and ready to get this exam out of the way and start Unit 3 content though!

Fun fact: I love any mint chocolate! Especially mint slices and mint kit-kat! Usually that is what I would eat as a snack before I go into any exam. It's sort of part of my exam ritual. ;)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2019, 04:00:34 pm »
+3
Oh god someone who likes mint chocolate... chocolate and mint DO NOT go together :(

Also you seem to have went really well with further, congrats! Also I know how it feels to lose a mark on an easy question, but you’ve done your best and it’s difficult to avoid silly mistakes 100% of the time! And I feel you with 1/2 subjects - I crammed for chemistry all on sunday and I’m cramming for methods today. Surely a day for each 1/2 is enough revision? ::)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2019, 04:12:24 pm »
+3
Oh god someone who likes mint chocolate... chocolate and mint DO NOT go together :(

Also you seem to have went really well with further, congrats! Also I know how it feels to lose a mark on an easy question, but you’ve done your best and it’s difficult to avoid silly mistakes 100% of the time! And I feel you with 1/2 subjects - I crammed for chemistry all on sunday and I’m cramming for methods today. Surely a day for each 1/2 is enough revision? ::)

Whys, I think it might be time for you to try some good quality choc mint ice cream then! ;)
We can be the cramming Methods buddies together! I can feel you on a spiritual level there. At this point in time, one day looks pretty decent to revise all of Unit 2. :P
Do you have any more upcoming Unit 2 exams? Honestly, right now, let's just cram together and hope that everything turns out alright!