Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:25:34 pm

Author Topic: Literature Queries  (Read 4095 times)

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Literature Queries
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:35:19 pm »
Hey,

For the book that we are reading in class, there are lots of words which I don't the definitions/meaning of. So far I've searched up and written down the definitions of them but is this enough? Would it be beneficial for me to memorise the spelling and definitions of these words? Or just the spelling of them?

P.S: For this novel we have two assessments which include: a Creative Writing piece written in the author's style and a Passage Analysis Essay.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:51:41 pm by Snow Leopard »

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
Re: New Vocab for Literature Novel
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 11:06:59 pm »
+4
Hey,

For the book that we are reading in class, there are lots of words which I don't the definitions/meaning of. So far I've searched up and written down the definitions of them but is this enough? Would it be beneficial for me to memorise the spelling and definitions of these words? Or just the spelling of them?

P.S: For this novel we have two assessments which include: a Creative Writing piece written in the author's style and a Passage Analysis Essay.

Hi Snow Leopard!

It's always beneficial to learn some new words, so I think searching up their definitions and noting them down is a good place to start. I'd suggest going beyond plainly rote-learning and cramming the spelling and definitions though -- instead, try using those words in your own pieces of writing! (*hint hint* could be useful when you're trying to imitate the author's style ;)). After all, there's no use knowing how to spell a word if you'll never use it.

You can also have a go at analysing WHY the author chose to use that particular word instead of another, simpler one. This could be good practice for your passage analysis essay!

Good luck! :)

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
Re: Literature Queries
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 06:52:54 pm »
Hey,

Thanks Colline for your response, that was really useful.
I have another question. For the Creative Writing Piece, what basic structure should I follow?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Literature Queries
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:02:47 pm »
+2
Hey,

Thanks Colline for your response, that was really useful.
I have another question. For the Creative Writing Piece, what basic structure should I follow?

Hey Snow Leopard!
Creative writing can be a super broad area to explore. I guess the biggest thing is ensuring that you have a plot. I find it useful to plan the ending of my story first and work backwards. Stories need action and a direction to travel.

Also, trying to ensure that you maintain a similar voice to the text you are working off of can be super helpful.

Sorry I can't be more specific about structure, but these tips should also help! This and this are also really good!

Best of luck!!