Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:41:16 am

Author Topic: how to improve my grades  (Read 892 times)

Trwsh

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
how to improve my grades
« on: February 21, 2019, 11:45:50 am »
hi, this is a year 12 student struggling with her grades at the moment.
my recent grades aren't so great and im stressing out on why this keeps happening.
i've put in all of my effort and studied my content well enough. ive practicing on past papers and re doing worksheets and homework.
however, the marks just dont satisfy me.
whenever i do exams, i find myself to struggle, i know how to do the questions but i keep stuffing up.
are there ways to improve the way i do my exams????
pls help  :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: how to improve my grades
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 01:56:50 pm »
+6
Welcome to the forums Trwsh! You aren't alone, so many people get frustrated for the same reason - They know their stuff, but they just can't seem to put it on paper in exams.

Let me ask you this - When you do your practice papers, do you:

a) Do them under time?
b) Mark your answers against a criteria when you are done, or get a teacher to do it for you?

You really need to be doing both of these to be preparing properly - If you are doing both of these, and your marks are good outside of the room but not so good inside the room, it is probably just coming down to your nerves/exam stress. In that case, you need to try and build some self confidence!! Everyone does this differently, practice is essential to making sure you feel prepared, but it's about breaking the cycle of feeling worried about your results (which then impacts your results later) ;D

emilyygeorgexx

• HSC LECTURER
  • ____________
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +113
Re: how to improve my grades
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:17:49 pm »
+5
Hey!

Just adding onto Jamon, definitely the biggest thing is practice, practice, practice! If you are willing to put the time and effort into trying to improve you will definitely see the results. Literally trust me it works!

Like last year in my first English assessment task which was a Paper 1 I got 67%. I just didn't understand how that happened since I knew my content.

However, throughout the year I persisted on and kept redoing essays and submitting drafts for my teacher. I literally wrote 5 brand new creative writing pieces. Even though this took so much time throughout the year, I ended up coming out with a 90 in the HSC which was unbelievable.

So believe in yourself because you can do this!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 04:04:51 pm by emilyygeorgexx »
HSC 2018 - (ATAR: 99.10)
English Advanced (90) | General Mathematics 2 (95) | Business Studies (98 - 6th in NSW) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (93) | Studies of Religion 1 (48)

2019: B Commerce/B Laws @ UNSW