Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:53:41 am

Author Topic: 🎉Post HSC, VCE and QCE - What Will You Do?  (Read 8760 times)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
🎉Post HSC, VCE and QCE - What Will You Do?
« on: November 21, 2020, 08:09:56 pm »
+12
Hi all HSC, VCE and QCE students! ;D

I have created this thread to discuss what we will all be doing once the exam season has finished (HSC students have finished, but VCE hasn't, and I'm not sure about QCE). ;)

Also, congratulations to everyone who has completed the last of their high school exams and goodluck for those currently doing them :)

I'm planning on:
- Learning 2 languages (French and Japanese)
- Learn how to make mobile apps
- Exercise every day
- Be more active on the forums and answer more questions

Keen to see what everyone else is planning!
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:40:49 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: 🎉Post HSC and VCE - What Will You Do?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 09:18:00 pm »
+4
Any chance you could add QCE to this? Aside from the Modern Greek written exam they're finished too

Do you know anything about how you're planning on making the app yet?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:11 pm »
+8
I'm planning on (my last exam being on Thursday!):
- Maybe getting back to learning how to read Hebrew (was doing it on the train every morning on the way to school, and COVID threw it out the window)
- Learning more of Hebrews
- Finishing the first draft of the novel I'm in the middle of - at this rate, it won't be finished in NaNoWriMo...
- Riding my bike at least five kms every day
- Getting a part time job (hopefully...!)
- Learning some anatomy-type stuff before uni starts! :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:49:04 pm by The Cat In The Hat »
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

cookielife

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 10:02:19 pm »
+8
I've literally been dreaming these past few weeks about what I can do after exams hehe (can't wait to push chem (my last exam) out of the way on monday!)

I'm planning to:
- Work out everyday in the morning
- Doing lots of skincare
- Baking and cooking
- Dancing and singing (I haven't gone to classes in aaagggesss - can't wait to get back in touch)
- Get back into reading novels
- Re-read the harry potter series  8)
- Get a part-time job

BitcoinEagle

• Trailblazer
  • You should've bought Bitcoin in 2008.
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:31 pm »
+8
The plan is hopefully...
to catch up with a different friend every day and go for a long walk with them for maybe two weeks. Get to know people even better and just relax and think about the future. Start a business on the side before Uni maybe :)
Invest even more into bitcoin :)).
Honestly can't wait ;D ;D ;D
2019: Methods {47} Bio {47}
2020: Spesh {44}, Physics {46}, Chemistry {46}, English {50}, Economics {47}

ATAR: 99.95

Proudest achievement: Doing Unit 1 Lang alone in sem 1 2019, Unit 2 Lit alone in sem 2 and unit 3/4 English alone in 2020 and somehow pulling out a rank 1. (It's a long story)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 10:50:59 pm »
+9
I can't even express how excited I am to finish my exams. So close!!

Some things I'm looking forward to doing:
- Day trips with my family
- Getting back into art/drawing - start a big artwork
- Establishing my art hobby more and creating more products to sell
- Reading!!
- Lots of baking
- Get my health back on track and start daily exercise
- Lots of cleaning/sorting/organising (ngl.....probably what I'm most excited to do!!)
- Apply/get a job - hopefully tutoring! I'm hoping to start a little side thing with study notes etc.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »
Any chance you could add QCE to this? Aside from the Modern Greek written exam they're finished too

That's a good idea, I just added QCE to this!

Do you know anything about how you're planning on making the app yet?

Yes, I will do research, download types of software for creating apps and look at YouTube tutorials (Or another kind of educational learning platform for creating apps)

Also, there are a lot of great and awesome ideas above!

Coolmate 8)
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
Re: 🎉Post HSC, VCE and QCE - What Will You Do?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 09:49:21 pm »
+1
Forgot:
- Get back to playing Chopin's Revolutionary Etude until I can play it at speed, as well as Beethoven's Tempest
- Watch BBC's Narnia miniserieses again :) :) (for some reason I'm really wanting to watch The Silver Chair the most, don't know why)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 06:10:13 pm »
+4
I’ll need to dig up and update a post from a few years back for you guys! For some context, a few years ago, I posted a giant questionnaire discussing things that you could do once you finished your Year 12 exams, but I was waiting for the end of the VCE exam period to update it (being the latest state to finish exams due to this year’s postponements).

The main point I want to reiterate from that post is that, if you’re deadset on working or getting a HECS/ HELP loan for uni (anyone intent on a CSP course so that you don’t have to pay up your higher education fees each semester), then you’ll need to get a Tax File Number (TFN) if you haven’t got one already. You can apply for one here and yes, that’s applicable no matter which state you hail from, as long as you intend to study your higher education or work somewhere in Australia. From memory, it can take up to 6 weeks to receive it after your application is approved and this time of year is usually pretty busy so if you apply well before New Year, you’ll have plenty of time to receive it before you need it for uni enrolment and/or beginning employment.  ;D

- Learning 2 languages (French and Japanese)
Hit me up if you need some Japanese practise! :) It’s been a long time since I’ve touched it (read: 4 years since I completed my minor in Japanese at uni), so would probably be dusting cobwebs to practise with you if you PM me. Been meaning to revisit it again, but I say this each year since I left it.

- Finishing the first draft of the novel I'm in the middle of - at this rate, it won't be finished in NaNoWriMo...
Out of pure curiosity, was this the same one that you posted a few excerpts of a few months back in the Creative Corner?

- Lots of cleaning/sorting/organising (ngl.....probably what I'm most excited to do!!)
The post-Year 12 bonfire awaits! :D
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 06:32:58 pm »
+1
Out of pure curiosity, was this the same one that you posted a few excerpts of a few months back in the Creative Corner?
Yes. Although that was stuff that I kinda haven't written yet. (I've jumped way back in the timeline to where I was planning to start.) So kind of yes, kind of no. :)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 07:56:06 pm »
+1
Hit me up if you need some Japanese practise! :) It’s been a long time since I’ve touched it (read: 4 years since I completed my minor in Japanese at uni), so would probably be dusting cobwebs to practise with you if you PM me. Been meaning to revisit it again, but I say this each year since I left it.

Thankyou for the offer Angel Wings, I appreciate it! :D

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 06:45:25 pm »
+6
I’ll need to dig up and update a post from a few years back for you guys! For some context, a few years ago, I posted a giant questionnaire discussing things that you could do once you finished your Year 12 exams, but I was waiting for the end of the VCE exam period to update it (being the latest state to finish exams due to this year’s postponements).

The main point I want to reiterate from that post is that, if you’re deadset on working or getting a HECS/ HELP loan for uni (anyone intent on a CSP course so that you don’t have to pay up your higher education fees each semester), then you’ll need to get a Tax File Number (TFN) if you haven’t got one already. You can apply for one here and yes, that’s applicable no matter which state you hail from, as long as you intend to study your higher education or work somewhere in Australia. From memory, it can take up to 6 weeks to receive it after your application is approved and this time of year is usually pretty busy so if you apply well before New Year, you’ll have plenty of time to receive it before you need it for uni enrolment and/or beginning employment.  ;D
OK, I finally found some time to post this, so here we go!   

If you're looking for the original post, it's here and referenced it here with an addition.

Remember that rest is really important in this period, as much as is finding things to do!

And without further ado, below is the updated version (now that I'm 3 years older and wiser - maybe):
Post-Year 12 Activities Questionnaire - do NOT complete if still in exams!
Question 1: Do you have a Tax File Number (TFN)?
Yes: Good on you. If it's been a while since you last saw the letter with it, you should go dig it out of storage. You'll need it soon.
No: Apply for one. From memory, it can take up to 6 weeks to get one and it's usually pretty busy this time of year! You'll need it for higher education loans and/ or work, so hop to it! You can check this link to start your application.

Question 2: Did you give up any sleep during your exams?
Yes: Time to get your sleep regime in check. Remember that regular sleep hours are as important as sleeping long enough. Please seek professional help if you need it for your sleep habits. 
No: Congrats! I wish I had your sleep habits; teach me your ways. :P

Question 3: Did you forego your exercise regime for Year 12/ exams?
Yes: Time to get back to it! If you didn't have one before, it's probably a good time to set up healthy habits. Start small and build up to bigger goals.
No: Great work! Keep it up!

Question 4: Did you give up any hobbies during your exams/ Year 12?
Yes: Time to revisit them. Check out that show you missed, that game you stopped playing, the book you only got halfway through, that article you wanted to write for AN ;) ... the list goes on. (I'll provide a longer list of ideas outside this spoiler at the end of the post.)
No: You can find a new one if you like, such as a new sport, art/ craft, skill, language, etc.. You could even help out here on AN so that future Year 12s can benefit! You could write an article, reply to a post, make a guide for your favourite subject, review your subjects and so much more. (See the list of ideas outside the spoiler at the end of this post.)

Question 5: How's your mental health? Are you OK after exams?
Yes: That's good to hear. Remember it's OK to be not OK.
No: It's OK to not be OK right now. Please seek help from a mental health professional, if possible. There's also helplines like Lifeline, Beyond Blue and Kids Helpline that you can talk or chat online, most of which are free. 

Question 6: Have you seen your friends in a while?
Yes: Nice! This is also a great time to meet up with them, catch up with old friends, or even make new ones.
No: Time for a visit/ meet up when they're done with their exams!

Question 7: Was there any skill you wanted to learn/ teach yourself but never had the time e.g. learn a language, coding, investing, cook a certain dish?
Yes: Time to pull out that list and get on top of it.
No: Plenty of time to figure one out and attend to it! :)

Question 8: Have you got your Ls or Ps?
Yes, I have my Ps already: You're super organised!
Yes, I have my Ls already: If you're on your Ls, get those hours up and attempt for your Ps. You might be eligible for a free professional drivers lesson with Keys2Drive, which I'm pretty sure is a national program. If you're closer to getting your Ps, then there are practise Hazards Perception Tests for most states, or the DriveSmart program, although I'm not sure if that's Victoria only.
No, I haven't started on my driver's license: This is a great time to get started and start on some practise tests to get that sorted.

Question 9: Are you and your friends are bored and seemingly have nothing to do still?
Yes: You could do a version of Schoolies, if you like. Travel somewhere closer if you don't want to go far. Alteratively, you and your mates could just do some activities during the day e.g. head to the beach one day and a movie the next.
No: Rest up and relax, with or without your mates. You deserve it!

Question 10: Have you cleaned out and organised your room?
Yes: How organised!
No: You probably should, as well as sell off any books that aren't going to be passed down or kept. You could potentially have the good ol' post-Year 12 bonfire if the weather permits.

Question 11: Do you have a job and/ or volunteer?
Yes: Great! Keep at it. Work and volunteer experience is pretty crucial these days.
No: Time to apply and/ or volunteer then! Don't give up hope, because you'll most likely get rejected more than a few times before being successful. 

Question 12: Do you have everything for a job or volunteering position you're looking towards e.g. a current First Aid Certificate, Police Check, RSA, Working With Children Check?
Yes: Good work. Will be useful if you're applying or not yet volunteering.
No, and I'll need it: Time to hop to it! Not going to get very far without them.
No, but I don't need it: Fair enough. Keep applying for jobs/ volunteering. It takes a while to be successful for jobs.

Question 13: Are you relatively set in your course preferences and/ or career goals?
Yes: That's great. You could potentially get ready for it, if you like.
No: It's OK to be unsure. If you don't really have any preferences down or are unsure, it's probably time to do more research or get in contact with people and/ or institutes that can.

Question 14: Have you got a good list of things to do now?
Yes: Time to get cracking on that list.
No: Time to revisit the questions again. Surely there's something you can do!

List of post-exam activity ideas - see Question 4 above
Some fun activity ideas that you can do on your own:
- (Re)watch your favourite show or any show you missed during exams e.g. on streaming services or not
- (Re)watch your favourite movie or any movie you missed during exams e.g. on streaming services or not
- (Re)read your favourite book or any books your missed
- (Re)visit your favour game and/or any games you missed
- Revisit or try a new art/ craft via various media e.g. drawing, painting, knitting/ crocheting/ embroidery, writing/ poetry, animation
- Revisit or try a new sport and/ or exercise e.g. tennis, soccer, cricket, swimming at the local pool/ beach, go for a run/ walk, yoga, pilates
- Simply get some good old R&R
- Travel local   
- Go to the local shops/ shopping centre, get that Christmas/ Hanukkah shopping sorted, or window shopping
- Go get that haircut or hairdo you've been waiting to get done at the local barbers/ hairdressers/ salon e.g. cut or dye your hair, or your nails done at the local nail salon
- Have bonfire of old exam papers, weather and fire laws permitting (obviously)
- Review or teach yourself a new skill e.g. a language, coding, investments

Some ideas you can do with others:
- Team sports
- Multiplayer games (*cough* Among Us)
- Social sports
- Trip to the beach/ mall/ what-have-you (basically anything that can be open right now)
- A picnic
- A movie
- Schoolies (but more local) and/ or celebrate the end of exams (yup, party time!)
- Make more friends

For a more "productive", mature or "adult" break:
- Get a TFN (seriously)
- Get a job
- Volunteer anywhere
- Get any certification to you need to work/ volunteer e.g. RSA, WWC
- If eligible, apply for any Centrelink payments
- If you've recently turned 18, possibly transfer bank account to under your name (Some bank accounts for minors will not transfer automatically to you when you turn 18 years old and you'll have to discuss this with the bank.)
- Get yourself prepared for higher education e.g. uni by organising preferences, course maps (if you know exactly what you want), etc. (I generally wouldn't really be revising content at this stage until you have an actual offer. You need to rest your brain somewhat.)

Some ways to contribute to AN:
- See BriMT's thread "I've finished exams - How can I contribute to the AN community?" here
- Join the AN meet up
- Write an article for AN
- Request a uni article here if it's not available in this database of articles here or in the Articles tabs
- Contribute to threads and boards as usual

For a longer article (and not just ideas), I'd suggest giving J41's thread here a read.

Note: Questions aren't in any particular order.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 11:13:13 am »
+4
Bump for 2021! ;D

Class of 2021 - what are your plans after exams?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 01:44:57 pm »
+4
- Spend some time doing absolutely nothing (as if I haven't been doing this already)
- Go through all my school stuff and decide what to keep and what to recycle
- Get my driving hours up and become a more confident driver
- Work
- Finish Harry Potter series
- Catch up with friends and family
- Borrow my dad's bass guitar and learn some songs
- Try not to be sedentary
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 02:23:15 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

SnekiSnek

• Trendsetter
  • Knowledge gremlin - coming for your neurons
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 02:08:19 pm »
+5
- Making my way through my vast collection of steam games
- Reattempting to learn electric guitar
- Make a better study routine for next year and get ahead for next year's content
- Start reading for pleasure again rather than just what is prescribed at school
Literature, Methods, Further, Chemistry, Legal Studies, Psychology, Classical Studies, Physics