Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:00 pm

Author Topic: Public transport discussion  (Read 18345 times)  Share 

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Public transport discussion
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 02:12:35 pm »
+4
Travelling across the city today and I've decided that rather going in and back out on trains I'm going to do it on two busses. It's meant to take less time so fingers crossed. I'm taking a backpack, duffel bag and pillow with me, so I REALLY hope that the bus isn't too crowded. Luckily I'm getting picked up at the other end so I won't have to carry it all far in the heat.

I love the independence public transport gives me, but I always feel awkward trying to carry lots of stuff. Like when my friends and I tried to take a massive esky to Brighton beach and back on the train. Coming home in rush hour was quite a difficulty. Or bringing my bike home when people are coming home from work. At least those two were on trains.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 02:16:17 pm »
+3
Travelling across the city today and I've decided that rather going in and back out on trains I'm going to do it on two busses. It's meant to take less time so fingers crossed. I'm taking a backpack, duffel bag and pillow with me, so I REALLY hope that the bus isn't too crowded. Luckily I'm getting picked up at the other end so I won't have to carry it all far in the heat.

I love the independence public transport gives me, but I always feel awkward trying to carry lots of stuff. Like when my friends and I tried to take a massive esky to Brighton beach and back on the train. Coming home in rush hour was quite a difficulty. Or bringing my bike home when people are coming home from work. At least those two were on trains.
Hopefully it isn't too crowded for you!

Carrying bulky stuff on PT is always a pain- there's been times I've had to wheel a suitcase into uni right through the city and it isn't ideal aha!
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2020, 09:44:52 am »
+8
Station annoucement: "the next train departing platform 2 will be the 9:31 Werribee, stopping all stations to Werribee"

Time: 9:43

Metro site: "good service"

I'm confused 😅

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2020, 11:54:35 am »
+8
I've only finished my second official day of university and I already feel like Melbourne's public transport system will become one of the very few things I genuinely hate. Also, am I the only person who just sits on the train on the way to uni looking out the window? It's kind of hard to fit in a slice of productivity when you're on a moving vehicle.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2020, 11:57:02 am »
I've only finished my second official day of university and I already feel like Melbourne's public transport system will become one of the very few things I genuinely hate. Also, am I the only person who just sits on the train on the way to uni looking out the window? It's kind of hard to fit in a slice of productivity when you're on a moving vehicle.

Yeah I've never studied or anything on public transport. I tend to just listen to podcasts and watch the world.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2020, 12:21:54 pm »
I've only finished my second official day of university and I already feel like Melbourne's public transport system will become one of the very few things I genuinely hate.
Welcome to the club lol (I hate PT and yet here I am, still using it to get to uni haha)

(I can be productive on trains and trams, but don't ask me about buses and being productive- I get too motionsick on those!)

kjistsehrtot

• Trendsetter
  • pew pew. (>‿◠)
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:24 pm »
+3
damn, i'm late but last year sunbury line kept getting trains cancelled, i laughed at their misery, and watched as craigieburn got suspended for four hours and was forced to go on a tiny mernda train. lesson is to never be too cynical on ptv :((
taking a break.

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2020, 06:01:58 pm »
I've been waiting a while to be able to think of a decent reply to this thread, so here I am now.

Those who know me know that I'm OBSESSED with trains. Before COVID-19 I was on a train 7 days a week. Usually really cramped so I didn't do much on my commute besides listen to music and hope that I'd be able to get off my train without pushing and shoving my way through.

Melbourne's PTV is sort of decent I guess, I don't like the crap frequencies for regional trains and the earliest bus for me on a Sunday is around 9am or something.

I love V/Lines, just dislike their off-peak frequencies. Missed a Ballarat line V/Line by 10-15 minutes and had to wait 45 minutes at Southern Cross because going anywhere else wouldn't be worth it. Also.... why don't they depart from the same platform at SoCro every time grr

Grr and when are the HCMTs gonna be a thing on my line grr. They said mid-2019, now mid-2020

BTW Siemens > XTraps > Comengs
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2020, 09:07:40 pm »
BTW Siemens > XTraps > Comengs
This is contentious :P

For me: XTraps > Siemens > rust buckets
(That being said, XTraps were introduced on my line in late 2016 from memory, and are still a novelty to me so -shrugs- haha)

I miss the sardine trains in the morning </3

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2020, 09:06:40 pm »
This is contentious :P

For me: XTraps > Siemens > rust buckets
(That being said, XTraps were introduced on my line in late 2016 from memory, and are still a novelty to me so -shrugs- haha)

I miss the sardine trains in the morning </3

They're too rocky. Can't count how many times I toppled over on an X-Trap from Richmond to Willison. There are no X-Traps on my line (Dandy line) so I'm glad that I won't be falling over people during rush hour
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:52 am »
+4
Second day in a row I've caught a 'peak' train between 7:20 and 7:50 on the Werribee line. There's nearly noone on the train and honestly doesn't feel like peak 😅

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2020, 06:55:30 pm »
+1
Second day in a row I've caught a 'peak' train between 7:20 and 7:50 on the Werribee line. There's nearly noone on the train and honestly doesn't feel like peak 😅

Same bro, but I doubt they'll change peak times because they'll have to rechange it, but there are technically more people during these times than any other time, even now.
I actually get a seat, and the 601 bus usually runs empty or 3 people on it before school

― Paulo Coelho

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2020, 02:33:50 pm »
+1
Metro have decided to make Melbourne Central one way traffic as a trial this week (as in exit via the Elizabeth St exit, enter via Swanston St exit). Looks good on paper in theory, but in all honestly I think it's a pretty stupid idea for those connecting with trams at either exit, and not to mention that the "exit" way doesn't have the station lifts- so there goes any accesibility for those who need it.

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2020, 08:48:21 pm »
+1
Metro have decided to make Melbourne Central one way traffic as a trial this week (as in exit via the Elizabeth St exit, enter via Swanston St exit). Looks good on paper in theory, but in all honestly I think it's a pretty stupid idea for those connecting with trams at either exit, and not to mention that the "exit" way doesn't have the station lifts- so there goes any accesibility for those who need it.

Wait what - that's no - noooo
Can't wait to walk all the way around to go to Coles or TuteSmart if it does end up becoming a thing

― Paulo Coelho

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 10:48:43 am »
+1
Same bro, but I doubt they'll change peak times because they'll have to rechange it, but there are technically more people during these times than any other time, even now.
I actually get a seat, and the 601 bus usually runs empty or 3 people on it before school

I'm thinking about sitting one of my Monash online exams on campus so this is good news