Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:36:05 am

Author Topic: Help needed understanding sophistication of English required  (Read 809 times)  Share 

True Dat

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Hi everyone,
I've been told repeatedly by my English tutor that using complex words to much causes the examiners to treat you as a 'try hard'. I am inclined to believe him as he has had students with 40+ study scores. Is this correct and if so does anyone have any tips on how to stay below the line but not to far below to chunk my essay?

As a reference would you say the level of sophisticated  language in this TSFX free resource for language analysis would be viewed by an examiner as being written by a 'try hard'?
http://www.tsfx.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Year-12-English-Min-Huang-Insight-Language-Analysis-A_.pdf

Thanks!

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
Re: Help needed understanding sophistication of English required
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 03:41:57 pm »
Hi everyone,
I've been told repeatedly by my English tutor that using complex words to much causes the examiners to treat you as a 'try hard'. I am inclined to believe him as he has had students with 40+ study scores. Is this correct and if so does anyone have any tips on how to stay below the line but not to far below to chunk my essay?

As a reference would you say the level of sophisticated  language in this TSFX free resource for language analysis would be viewed by an examiner as being written by a 'try hard'?
http://www.tsfx.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Year-12-English-Min-Huang-Insight-Language-Analysis-A_.pdf

Thanks!

Hello,

The use of 'complex words' alone does not equate to being a 'try hard.' It is all in the application of the words. For some students, a more sophisticated vocabulary will be natural, and allow them to better articulate their ideas. In this respect, where these words are serving a particular purpose, examiners are not going to unfairly critique students (see past VCAA English examiner's reports). On the other end, there are students who believe that quality essays are a direct product of verbose language (this is not the case). In these instances, students obfuscate the clarity of their ideas with unnecessary complexity. And so, it is here that examiners are more inclined to give out a lower mark- not because of 'complex words,' but because students have sacrificed the expression of their own ideas with these words.

Moral: Only use more 'sophisticated' vocabulary when it is needed  :)
BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Help needed understanding sophistication of English required
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 05:20:22 pm »
Hello,

The use of 'complex words' alone does not equate to being a 'try hard.' It is all in the application of the words. For some students, a more sophisticated vocabulary will be natural, and allow them to better articulate their ideas. In this respect, where these words are serving a particular purpose, examiners are not going to unfairly critique students (see past VCAA English examiner's reports). On the other end, there are students who believe that quality essays are a direct product of verbose language (this is not the case). In these instances, students obfuscate the clarity of their ideas with unnecessary complexity. And so, it is here that examiners are more inclined to give out a lower mark- not because of 'complex words,' but because students have sacrificed the expression of their own ideas with these words.

Moral: Only use more 'sophisticated' vocabulary when it is needed  :)

Nothing to add to this, just wanted to say that I absolutely agree. One can use language well and still use complex vocab and one can avoid using complex vocab and still use language well.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd