Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 11:31:31 am

Author Topic: Strategies when you don't feel like studying  (Read 1347 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Strategies when you don't feel like studying
« on: February 14, 2019, 09:56:10 am »
+7
Would be super interested in hearing what everybody does when they just don't feel like studying. How they push through.

I made this super quick video yesterday to start the discussion but would love to hear from others!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Strategies when you don't feel like studying
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 11:47:22 am »
+4
Hmm… I’d probably say it helps to form a habit of doing something. If you study for 2 hours every day at 5-7pm for 2 weeks, it'll become more or less a habit, and you'll be used to it. Therefore, I believe you need motivation to achieve your goals, but if you make studying a habit you do not need motivation at all.

But it would be good to be motivated because it makes the process much more enjoyable
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

vceme

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +20
Re: Strategies when you don't feel like studying
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:32 pm »
+3
The first thing I want to mention is that days where I felt horrible (not being lazy or procrastinating), I wouldn't force myself to study. In the end, if I did, I probably wouldn't have of retained much information in comparison to the amount of time I spent studying. Rather, I think it's better to just have a night off and tackle the next day with full force. Though, if I was being lazy or procrastinating. I would go to a few methods:
1) Think about the future (kind of what you mentioned in your video). I would think about how I would most likely regret not studying at that very moment, and how I would want to rewind back and study right then.
2) Friends: Having dedicated and encouraging friends is a huge bonus! They'll often motivate me to study. Sometimes we would face time each other and study together.
3) Study livestream: A bit of a 'weird' one. Though, on youtube there's 'study with me' where you join in live group chats and video yourself studying. Definitely very motivating.
Graduated in 2018. Top 5%.