Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:59:20 am

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4817709 times)  Share 

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #18150 on: October 01, 2019, 03:11:19 pm »
Hi.
From the NHT 2019 Exam 2, question 2 e, I was wondering what domain we use when we are solving the equations? Because I keep getting general solution.

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #18151 on: October 01, 2019, 05:08:39 pm »
+1
Hi.
From the NHT 2019 Exam 2, question 2 e, I was wondering what domain we use when we are solving the equations? Because I keep getting general solution.

There might be a more elegant way to do it, but I'd observe that the period of v2 is 14, so I'd solve v1(60) = v2(60) with 0 ≤ k ≤ 14.

wildsivanna

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #18152 on: October 03, 2019, 12:45:59 am »
helloo  :), does anyone have detailed written solutions to the 2019 NHT exam 2? (other than VCAA's) if not, at the very least.... for the MC?

thanks heaps!  :-[
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:47:34 am by wildsivanna »

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #18153 on: October 04, 2019, 02:42:51 pm »
Can you confirm if my methods of working out and the answers are correct for the following question?

the question
Malaysia (MAL) is a highly tactical team and puts a lot of emphasis on how far their players can 'Header' a ball. The distance that the MAL players can Header the ball is normally distributed with a mean of 18 metres and standard deviation of 3 metres.

a. Find the probability, correct to 3 decimal places, that a MAL player can Header at least 20 metres (2 marks)

my working and my answer
I did X ~ N (18,32)
Using the normCdf function, I got 0.252.

b. 8 of the MAL players are selected at random and asked to header the ball at training. Find the probability correct to 3 decimal places that:

i. Only the first two players Header the ball at least 20 metres. (2 marks)

my working and my answer
X ~ Bi(8, 0.252).
Using the binomCdf function, I got 0.638

ii. Exactly 2 of the players Header the ball at least 20 metres. (2 marks)

my working and my answer
X ~ Bi(8, 0.252)
Using the binomPdf function, I got 0.311

iii. At least 4 of the players Header the ball at least 20 metres, given the first player chosen Headers the ball at least 20 metres (2 marks)

my working and my answer
Using the conditional probability formula, I got 0.117.

The below section is the source of my uncertainty and confusion. (It doesn't help that it's badly worded)

c. Find the minimum number of MAL players required to ensure that the probability that at least one of them can Header the ball at least 20 metres is at least 0.98. (3 marks)

I started by doing Pr(X≥1) = 0.98 but then my calculator exposed my ignorance. Makes no sense, doesn't it? Now I don't know what to do for this particular question.

Hopefully I typed up enough information to enable you to help me out! Thanks!
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

S_R_K

• MOTM: Feb '21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #18154 on: October 04, 2019, 05:53:40 pm »
I believe your answers to a and b.ii. are correct.

I don't think your answer to b. i. is correct. This is because the question asks for the probability that only the first two players head the ball at least 20 metres. This should be 0.252^2 * (1 – 0.252)^6 = 0.011. Using the binomial CDF function with n = 8, 2 ≤ x ≤ 8 gives the probability that at least 2 of the eight players heads the ball at least 20 metres, and this player(s) could be the first through to the eighth player.

For b.iii., we are given that the first player heads the ball 20 m. So that means at least four players in total head the ball 20 m if at least three of the next seven head the ball 20 m. So just find the probability that at least three out of seven players head the ball 20 m, using binomcdf(7,0.252,3,7). You can use the conditional probability formula for this, but you need to be careful that you set it up correctly - I was unable to get anything like your answer, so I'm not sure what you've done wrong here.

For part c. I would observe that the complement to at least one player heading the ball at least 20 metres is no player heading the ball at least 20 metres. So you should find the number of players required for the probability of no 20 m headers to be 0.02. This is just solve(0.02 = (1 – 0.252)^n, n), and then round up to the next integer (rounding down would give a probability of no headers that is greater than 0.02).

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18155 on: October 06, 2019, 06:15:45 pm »
There might be a more elegant way to do it, but I'd observe that the period of v2 is 14, so I'd solve v1(60) = v2(60) with 0 ≤ k ≤ 14.
Cool, thank you!

sarah15

• Adventurer
« Reply #18156 on: October 06, 2019, 06:34:20 pm »
Hi! I am having trouble with questions in probability where you have to find the median of a hybrid function. Specifically, when there is a second equation other than 0. How do you know which equation to integrate?
Thanks!

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #18157 on: October 06, 2019, 06:36:36 pm »
+2
Hi! I am having trouble with questions in probability where you have to find the median of a hybrid function. Specifically, when there is a second equation other than 0. How do you know which equation to integrate?
Thanks!
Basically you want to choose the one you believe will result in the least work. So if you think more than 50% of the area is under one question integrate that. But if you end up with something like 0.44 you would just try the other one to get 0.50 or just find the value that produces 0.06 so the total area to the left/right is 0.50.

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18158 on: October 06, 2019, 06:43:25 pm »
+1
Thanks!
So, usually you would work from the lower domain to the upper domain which is using the first branch first.
So, first you find the probability of the first branch by integrating that equation, using the numbers 4 and 0. If it is more than 0.5, you know that the median lies in that branch as that is the only branch there. So, using the CAS (I'm assuming this is a CAS active question), you would press solve type the integral, with m at the top of the integral and 0 at the bottom making it equal to 0.5 and , m. This will give you the median value.
However, if the median is less than 0.5 when calculating the probability, then you know that the median is in the second branch as 0.5 is higher than whatever probability you get. This is how you would solve it. You would type the integral using the first function and its domain+ the second function k(12-x) and putting 4 and m on the side of the integral, making this equal to 0.5 and solving for m.

I hope this makes sense and it answered your question!

EDIT: Sine beat me to it.

sarah15

• Adventurer
« Reply #18159 on: October 06, 2019, 06:59:35 pm »
Basically you want to choose the one you believe will result in the least work. So if you think more than 50% of the area is under one question integrate that. But if you end up with something like 0.44 you would just try the other one to get 0.50 or just find the value that produces 0.06 so the total area to the left/right is 0.50.

So, usually you would work from the lower domain to the upper domain which is using the first branch first.
So, first you find the probability of the first branch by integrating that equation, using the numbers 4 and 0. If it is more than 0.5, you know that the median lies in that branch as that is the only branch there. So, using the CAS (I'm assuming this is a CAS active question), you would press solve type the integral, with m at the top of the integral and 0 at the bottom making it equal to 0.5 and , m. This will give you the median value.
However, if the median is less than 0.5 when calculating the probability, then you know that the median is in the second branch as 0.5 is higher than whatever probability you get. This is how you would solve it. You would type the integral using the first function and its domain+ the second function k(12-x) and putting 4 and m on the side of the integral, making this equal to 0.5 and solving for m.

I hope this makes sense and it answered your question!

EDIT: Sine beat me to it.

Thank you! I think I get it now. So would 8 be the correct answer for that question?

Evolio

• Forum Leader
« Reply #18160 on: October 06, 2019, 07:05:17 pm »
I got m=5.072.
Did you add the first part of the function as well when making it equal to 0.5?

sarah15

• Adventurer
« Reply #18161 on: October 06, 2019, 07:13:18 pm »
I got m=5.072.
Did you add the first part of the function as well when making it equal to 0.5?

Oops, my mistake! I got it now. Thanks again :)

forsande

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18162 on: October 07, 2019, 09:10:20 pm »
Help plzz!

Solve for x: log2(x) - log2([rootx]-1)=2
I only got up to x=4([rootx]-1), dunno where to go from there

thxx

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #18163 on: October 07, 2019, 09:23:49 pm »
Help plzz!

Solve for x: log2(x) - log2([rootx]-1)=2
I only got up to x=4([rootx]-1), dunno where to go from there

thxx

I'm assuming what you'e done so far is correct by the way. There is a little trick you can do.
So we have

Standard solving a quadratic from there =)

Alternatively you can actually factorize it straight away from where you left off, but I understand that it may sometimes look a bit weird so it's much clearer to make a substitution like this.

Personally I would factorize it straight away with the square root.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:25:42 pm by DrDusk »

forsande

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #18164 on: October 07, 2019, 09:27:35 pm »
I'm assuming what you'e done so far is correct by the way. There is a little trick you can do.
So we have

Standard solving a quadratic from there =)

Alternatively you can actually factorize it straight away from where you left off, but I understand that it may sometimes look a bit weird so it's much clearer to make a substitution like this.

Personally I would factorize it straight away with the square root.
Thanks, but where does y^2 come from (also, what's the rationale behind doing this method?)