Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:30:40 pm

Author Topic: Moving out of home: Any tips for interstate students?  (Read 1258 times)  Share 

noelidfwu

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Moving out of home: Any tips for interstate students?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:31:52 pm »
Hey so I'm planning on moving interstate to Melbourne from Sydney to study for a looong time (7 years- dentistry haha).

1. Does anyone have just any general tips for someone who is moving out of home for the first time?

2. How does one balance work, study and play? Any tips and rough hours on how much I should work?

3. Does anyone have any tips on how to save money whilst studying as well?-- would be beneficial if the tips were specific to people who are moving out of home

Thank you!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: Moving out of home: Any tips for interstate students?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 08:18:54 pm »
+7
We have a lot of articles covering these sorts of questions.

But some quick answers:
1. See articles e.g. Strawberries' article on moving out here and Calebark's thread on moving out. Some more people might answer soon.

2. Regarding work/uni/life balance, you can check out the articles, uni journey journals and general university boards for advice. Regarding work, unis give different recommendations and your course will also affect recommendations. I honestly think that more than 20 hours is too much. (Trust me when I say that; I worked two jobs and studied full time.)

3. Here's a few quick tips:
- Get Youth Allowance. Centrelink is for all Australians. Here's an article on how to receive government payments.
- Use only as much money as you need and not as you want. This is why debit cards are better than credit cards.
- Take advantage of free services or student discounts. Your student ID is a trusty friend. :) 
- Keep reading around AN for more money advice.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 03:10:53 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Moving out of home: Any tips for interstate students?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:25:52 pm »
+10
Been living out of home for a few years now :)

- See what you can source from op shops, gumtree, etc. (particularly for furniture, dinner sets, etc. - so much cheaper than buying new stuff)
- Set up separate bank accounts (I have 3 - one for necessities like bills and groceries, one for things I want to buy for myself, and one for savings) and figure out what percentage of your income will go into each account
- See what student discounts you can get
- Learn how to cook a few basic meals and master them - student budgets don't often allow for super fancy food ;) I also find cooking in large batches and freezing easier than cooking each night
- Make lists of things you need to do so you don't forget

And don't be too hard on yourself! Moving out of home is hard, but you'll get used to it. :)