Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:58:50 pm

Author Topic: Mid year exam assistance thread  (Read 24474 times)  Share 

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
Re: Exam assistance thread
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2008, 10:05:15 pm »
Yeah, it was reading the examiners report that made me go back and revise that!
It's a bit confusing to get your head around it at first, especially as it's not really explained in the text book...

psychlaw

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 10:56:42 pm »
Question:

What is the colour of the cerebral cortex in a clear, intact brain

ilovesuck

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 11:15:31 pm »
Question:

What is the colour of the cerebral cortex in a clear, intact brain

lol grey?

not 100% sure, as i dont really think its knowledge to be tested on :P

psychlaw

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 11:17:50 pm »
grey would seem to be the answer (its what I put)

but for some reason its put as pink in the answer sheet...

exam mistake?

daniel99

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 05:07:32 pm »
I did that exam aswell and saud grey. Dont know why it is pink:S

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:47 pm »
if you're asked to give an example of a gestalt principle, could you draw one and explain it, or does the answer have to be a worded description only?

Hughie

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2008, 03:44:10 pm »
I did that exam aswell and saud grey. Dont know why it is pink:S

is that in the stav 2008 trial exam?

daniel99

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2008, 06:36:16 pm »
if you're asked to give an example of a gestalt principle, could you draw one and explain it, or does the answer have to be a worded description only?

On the 2006 exam report it said that the best answers describing the gestalt principle of similarity used picturs to describe what they were saying and you could also use examples for cntext e.g.
      A
12  13  14
      C

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2008, 09:15:26 pm »

No, drawing is fine, especially if you were asked to give an example of a Gestalt principle. Doing a drawing in addition to your written response is also fine for any question on the exam.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

daniel99

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2008, 09:22:20 pm »
could someone PLEASE write/define the Ames Room illusion and the Muller Lyer illusion and relate it to the apparent distance hypothesis (Richard Gregory)????

I know all the information but when i write it, it doesnt seem clear, and for someone reading it im sure it sounds even worse!

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2008, 09:35:51 pm »
It is pretty hard to explain both the illusions succinctly and relatively simply, but here are the definitions I would use to describe them in terms of Gregory's appararent distance hypothesis.

MULLER LYER
Remember these two points:
a) Both lines cast identical sized retinal images (or in other words, both lines are equal in size)
b) the lower line (feather tails) is misperceived to be more distant and the more
distant object (feather tails), casting the same sized image, is misperceived to be longer than the arrow heads.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2008, 09:44:18 pm »
THE AMES ROOM

With the Ames Room remember the following;
a) the perceived rectangular shape of the room is consistent with the retinal image, but not consistent with the room's real shape.
b) The back corners of the room actually produce equal sized retinal images because the vertical length of the further left corner is double the length of the nearer right corner. Therefore the visual angle (or slope, can't remember) is the same for both corners from the observer's view.
c) Because the viewer does not have the depth cues to discern the real difference between the two corners, the equal sized retinal images of the corners are interpreted as equal in size, producing an illusion of a rectangular room.

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 09:51:02 pm »

On the 2006 exam report it said that the best answers describing the gestalt principle of similarity used picturs to describe what they were saying and you could also use examples for cntext e.g.
      A
12  13  14
      C

No, drawing is fine, especially if you were asked to give an example of a Gestalt principle. Doing a drawing in addition to your written response is also fine for any question on the exam.

awesome, thanks! this was the answer i was hoping for, will make things a lot easier.

daniel99

Re: Mid year exam assistance thread
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 09:53:59 pm »
thanks nick, but i have an idea of that, i just dont get how the theory is applied to the ames room. As the shorter line is proposed to be an outer corner of a room (arrow head line) how does it apply to Ames?

The reason i dont get it is because there are no outward corners (if viewing the Ames room through a monocular peephole) and all the corners of the room would therefore be the feathertail line?

daniel99

Re: Mid year exam assistance thread
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2008, 09:56:03 pm »

A
12  13  14
      C

awesome, thanks! this was the answer i was hoping for, will make things a lot easier.

My teacher also told me that people had drawn the Ames Room on previous exams! I think it would be more to help them with the response though and not part of their answer.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:00:30 pm by daniel99 »