Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:03:25 am

Author Topic: Mid year exam assistance thread  (Read 24487 times)  Share 

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Re: Exam assistance thread
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 04:44:14 pm »
thanks eriny (:

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2008, 05:44:03 pm »
Guess the answer to this-

VCAA 2006
Q6-M/C
Tony is looking straight ahead at a projector screen. His right eye is covered with a blindfold. An image of a penguin is projected onto the middle of the screen.
The information would be registered in ___________ hemisphere(s).
A.   The right
B.   The left
C.   Both the left and the right
D.   Neither the left nor right

the answer is actually C - I know this may look like a simple question but the whole thing about left controls right and right controls left confused me. Although it could just be me, im not the brightest in the bunch  :D

moshi

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2008, 07:00:28 pm »
it's C, i think it's because although the information is flashed towards only one eye, regardless of whether the image is received by the left or right side of the retina, both hemispheres process the information
it would only be received by one hemisphere if the person had gone split brain surgery...i think
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 08:11:19 pm by moshi »

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2008, 07:37:53 pm »
Nah, I think it is because of the visual fields. The left visual field goes to the right eye, and the right visual field goes to the left eye.
However the visual fields overlap... so the left eye would receive information from both the left AND right visual field, therefore information goes to both hemispheres.
If it asked "If an image is flashed to his left visual field, which hemisphere of the brain would this be processed in?" then the answer would be the right hemisphere.

There is a difference between the visual fields and the eyes... so just be careful on this one.

sisqo1111

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2008, 07:39:35 pm »
umm i thought what moshi said was to be correct. that if something gets flashed to one visual field, its processed in both hemispheres, unless they have a split brain. my teacher clearly stated this.
hope she was right

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 08:01:18 pm »
have a look at this website...

http://www.e-advisor.us/visual_fields.php

it explains visual fields. Eriny posted this is the psych resources section.
Hope it clears it up for you. I thought what I said was right, but if your teacher has said differently then maybe not.

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2008, 08:40:41 pm »
it's C, i think it's because although the information is flashed towards only one eye, regardless of whether the image is received by the left or right side of the retina, both hemispheres process the information
it would only be received by one hemisphere if the person had gone split brain surgery...i think

It's a little confusing at times but you're essentially correct.

The important things to remember about the neural pathway of visual information is the following:

*Visual information from the "outer" half of each retina does not cross over between hemispheres.
*Information from the left visual field falls on the right side of each retina and ends up in the primary visual cortex in the right hemisphere.
*Information from the right visual field falls on the left side of each retina and is processed by the left hemisphere.
Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) @ The University of Melbourne

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »
Nah, I think it is because of the visual fields. The left visual field goes to the right eye, and the right visual field goes to the left eye.
However the visual fields overlap... so the left eye would receive information from both the left AND right visual field, therefore information goes to both hemispheres.
If it asked "If an image is flashed to his left visual field, which hemisphere of the brain would this be processed in?" then the answer would be the right hemisphere.

Spot on

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 08:46:49 pm »
Ah good. I got a bit confused with that all at the time. But I think I get it now :)

Hughie

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 08:54:14 pm »

Spot on
[/quote]

well close enough...

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »
Hmm while I'm here, something I have really struggled with is providing a concise explanation for WHY the Muller Lyer Illusion occurs, in terms of the apparent distance hypothesis, or the perceptual compromise theory. Any tips?

chubz90

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 09:01:00 pm »
lol, its something that seems so simple yet its confusing. Once you have done about 5 practise exams or more you begin to notice a pattern.
Anyway back to the question, if it had said where it is FIRST detected as i have seen in a practise exam before than it would be 'A' right?
Also if it asks where it is PROCESSED that would be 'A' as well right?.
 Its just those tssm, neap and mav companies confuse the hell out of you at times. Before looking at other non-vcaa exams i would have said 'C' without hesitation. I guess its all about reading the question properly. :uglystupid2:

melaniej

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2008, 09:15:02 pm »
Because it goes to both hemispheres, then it would be processed in both.
Im not sure about where it is FIRST detected, but I'm pretty sure it would be both, as the paths to the brain are the same from both visual fields. I dont think they would ask where it is first detected in a question like that.

I think that would be the questions that mean they respond to the word quicker when it is sent to the left hemisphere, and pictures when they are sent  to the right hemisphere?

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2008, 09:51:01 pm »
Because it goes to both hemispheres, then it would be processed in both.
Im not sure about where it is FIRST detected, but I'm pretty sure it would be both, as the paths to the brain are the same from both visual fields. I dont think they would ask where it is first detected in a question like that.

I think that would be the questions that mean they respond to the word quicker when it is sent to the left hemisphere, and pictures when they are sent  to the right hemisphere?

Yes, there was a question on a VCAA exam a few years ago about response time when words are presented to the left hemisphere (right visual field) as opposed to the words being presented to the right hemisphere (left visual field). That is, the response would be elicited faster when the words are presented to the left hemisphere (right visual field).

Make sure you are very clear on the neural pathway of information- they will undoubtedly test it because students always stuff it up!

Nick

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:01:02 pm »
Just for the record- there was a question on the neural pathway of visual info on last year's exam- almost 50% of students chose the incorrect alternative. This significantly increases the likelihood of a similar question on this year's exam. The question read:

Visual information received by the right eye is processed in the:

a) parietal lobe of the left hemisphere only
b) occipital lobe of the left hemisphere only
c) parietal lobe of the right and left hemispheres
d) occipital lobe of right and left hemispheres

The answer is D.

The examiner's report stated;

Images falling Images falling on the left side of each retina are processed in the left occipital lobe and images falling on the right side of each retina are processed in the right occipital lobe. Almost half of the students chose the incorrect alternative B.
This question was similar to Question 6 on the 2006 paper, which was also poorly answered.

Hence, it will be tested again.