Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:48:52 am

Author Topic: GAT Questions and Discussion  (Read 128961 times)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: GAT Questions and Discussion
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2019, 08:21:03 pm »
Hope everyone did well! I wrote a creative piece for Task 1, and was surprised how easy Task 2 was.  Who thought some of the questions were a bit over worded and confusing?

Hey, just thought you might want to know that some people are answering that over in [url=https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=185916.0]this[url] gat discussion thread :)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2019, 05:35:58 pm »
I don't really know as it might have to depend on the piece itself. Please be careful for the real deal and I'd be wary about skimming this fine line.

Yeah it counts, maybe write about his father who is a passionate musician introducing his son to the world of music.
Thank you for your help!

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2020, 05:07:21 pm »
So will the GAT be more important this year than usual?
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

mi-xao-14

• Forum Obsessive
  • GO BEYOND!!!! PLUS ULTRA!!!!
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2020, 05:16:11 pm »
+7
I love how they rhyme each other lmao

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2020, 07:04:50 pm »
I love how they rhyme each other lmao
.....  ???
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #200 on: August 06, 2020, 08:01:46 pm »
+5
So will the GAT be more important this year than usual?
I've asked many teachers and all of them think the GAT and the final exams will play a bigger role than sacs this year. This is because due to lockdown the way sacs are run have been seriously impacted and every school is doing very very different things. But whether it holds more importance than sacs or not, it's best to do really well in the GAT because say lockdown for yours or anyone's school occurs during exams because of a positive case, they can use the GAT to give you a derived exam score. Please take this with a grain of salt though because I haven't asked any VCAA examiners haha  ;D
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
« Reply #201 on: August 06, 2020, 09:29:45 pm »
I've asked many teachers and all of them think the GAT and the final exams will play a bigger role than sacs this year. This is because due to lockdown the way sacs are run have been seriously impacted and every school is doing very very different things. But whether it holds more importance than sacs or not, it's best to do really well in the GAT because say lockdown for yours or anyone's school occurs during exams because of a positive case, they can use the GAT to give you a derived exam score. Please take this with a grain of salt though because I haven't asked any VCAA examiners haha  ;D

That would be really unfortunate because some people do terribly in the GAT but end up getting 40+ study scores! Although this will be good for the schools that force their kids to do practise GATs.........
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2020, 07:35:01 am »
+3
That would be really unfortunate because some people do terribly in the GAT but end up getting 40+ study scores!
I think that's because many people don't study/ practise for the GAT (this is my first year for the GAT so I'm really nervous hahah). Everyone on this forum is hardworking and diligent so if they try I'm sure everyone will ace it! Most people say you can't really study for it but my school teachers say it's like the edutest, so I think practice exams really will boost your marks. I hope I don't sound pretentious (I have no idea when I should start studying for it). Also, do some schools actually force their kids to do past GATs??

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #203 on: August 07, 2020, 11:30:20 am »
+4
I think that's because many people don't study/ practise for the GAT (this is my first year for the GAT so I'm really nervous hahah). Everyone on this forum is hardworking and diligent so if they try I'm sure everyone will ace it! Most people say you can't really study for it but my school teachers say it's like the edutest, so I think practice exams really will boost your marks. I hope I don't sound pretentious (I have no idea when I should start studying for it). Also, do some schools actually force their kids to do past GATs??
There really isn't much point to doing past GATs. It's not like it's testing your knowledge of a study design like a SAC or exam does. Think of it as a general reasoning test - it's there to test your skills on the day. There really is no significant prep that you can do that's worthwhile. Best thing to do is look at a few past GATs on the VCAA website so you're familiar with the structure, but otherwise IMO it's not worth wasting your time on doing past GATs.

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #204 on: August 07, 2020, 06:19:37 pm »
There really isn't much point to doing past GATs. It's not like it's testing your knowledge of a study design like a SAC or exam does. Think of it as a general reasoning test - it's there to test your skills on the day. There really is no significant prep that you can do that's worthwhile. Best thing to do is look at a few past GATs on the VCAA website so you're familiar with the structure, but otherwise IMO it's not worth wasting your time on doing past GATs.
Ohh thank you for the input! I probably would have wasted time spamming past GATs ahaha. Do you think it's worthwhile practising the writing tasks?

The Cat In The Hat

• Forum Leader
« Reply #205 on: August 07, 2020, 09:39:28 pm »
+1
Ohh thank you for the input! I probably would have wasted time spamming past GATs ahaha. Do you think it's worthwhile practising the writing tasks?
I did the GAT last year. In my opinion, you can only really practice for the first part (I think that was it - the one where you categorise and write up information into a report, no argument.) I think that learning to set out related ideas and form logical connections can be got more used to (if that makes sense) by practise - even just, how would I put these into a logical flow? But I don't know.
(Bear in mind I got I think 26 for the written, def. my worst in the GAT! - not sure what happened there! given that I'm usually ok at writing stuff)
VCE 20
ATAR 85
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

she/her

homeworkisapotato

• Forum Leader
« Reply #206 on: August 07, 2020, 09:52:04 pm »
Ohh, thank you! How would you approach the writing task where you get given three different ideas and you have to present an argument?

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #207 on: August 08, 2020, 05:31:42 pm »
+1
I only would if you haven’t done a persuasive and/or other type of writing in a while. For me (back in the day), I know that I hadn’t in a long time, as I was studying English Language, which doesn’t really touch those types of writing until later on in the year (or would’ve been if you did the GAT on its original date back in June). Even then, I only did one or two practise pieces to get used to writing that way again. But it’s up to you.

For the writing task using the information, I personally found it easier to write creative there and would spatter the information in a creative manner. I remember the one time I did the GAT (I was sick the other time), this worked out really well for me. Note that this is purely a personal thing, so it’s absolutely OK to not do that and present the information in another way. (There’s no advantage if you write creative vs. informative.)

Ohh, thank you! How would you approach the writing task where you get given three different ideas and you have to present an argument?
From memory, the prompts are usually similar to each other. You can respond to as many or as few as you like, as long as you at least respond to one of them.

If you have a look over the past GATs you’ll notice that the prompts are set up for a debate/ argument/ persuasive, so it’s a matter of writing out your own key points and starting to elaborate from there, as you would for any other argumentative piece.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Texyrialed

• Adventurer
  • it is what it is B)
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2020, 08:53:03 pm »
+1
Newbie to the GAT here,

So my school is kinda pushing us to do at least 10 writing tasks (so 5 Writing Task 1 and 5 Writing Task 2) and I have two questions;
1. Is it worth stressing over to do so many practice tasks?
2. What is the best way to tackle these writing tasks? Task 1 looks like a mess and task 2 is just ??? what am I meant to write?
3. (I know i said two but i'm not bothered to change two to three) For both tasks, is there a certain way to write the piece? Like is task 1 meant to be creative and task 2 has to be persuasive? That's what I'm getting and I'm really sitting here confused af lol.

I've looked at a couple of past GAT papers and everything just kind of just goes over my head and I can't stop thinking about how writing task 1 always looks like a mess

Anyways, please help a gal out, I'm stressin  :-\
2020: Biology [32]
2021: English Lang (30+), Maths Methods (25+), Psychology (35+), Further Mathematics (40+), Chemistry (30+, but my teacher expects a 45+ rip)
ATAR: 85+ hopefully
2022: God knows
Hotel: Trivago

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2020, 09:46:28 pm »
Newbie to the GAT here,

So my school is kinda pushing us to do at least 10 writing tasks (so 5 Writing Task 1 and 5 Writing Task 2) and I have two questions;
1. Is it worth stressing over to do so many practice tasks?
2. What is the best way to tackle these writing tasks? Task 1 looks like a mess and task 2 is just ??? what am I meant to write?
3. (I know i said two but i'm not bothered to change two to three) For both tasks, is there a certain way to write the piece? Like is task 1 meant to be creative and task 2 has to be persuasive? That's what I'm getting and I'm really sitting here confused af lol.

I've looked at a couple of past GAT papers and everything just kind of just goes over my head and I can't stop thinking about how writing task 1 always looks like a mess

Anyways, please help a gal out, I'm stressin  :-\
Hi Texyrialed!

For the writing tasks, it will help to know what you need to do but you don't have to do that many practice tasks to complete the GAT (but it might help if you are that way inclined). Basically writing task one is organising and presenting the information they throw at you. 2nd one is essentially an opinion/persuasive piece that incorporates one or multiple of the topics they give you. I recommend reading this, its a good overview :)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 07:36:25 am by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP