Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:35:16 am

Author Topic: World Cup 2019  (Read 20304 times)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: World Cup 2019
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 06:51:30 pm »
+4
I think once you get to the semi-finals it can be anyone's tournament (just two more wins...) - but England, Australia, and India have a higher chance of making the semis.  If say West Indies or Pakistan actually make the semis, they can be intermittently brilliant enough that I wouldn't want to bet against them winning it...
definitely out of my lower ranked teams I would say the West Indies have the biggest X-factor and if their batting unit can get into form they can beat anyone.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2019, 10:26:18 pm »
+4
Showing good fight here, the Aussies. Smith particularly. We've really missed him.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Ozziedabeast

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2019, 11:45:52 pm »
+4
Showing good fight here, the Aussies. Smith particularly. We've really missed him.
Really important knock from Smith.
Even better from Coulter-Nile, wow!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2019, 07:50:35 am »
+1
Really important knock from Smith.
Even better from Coulter-Nile, wow!

I saw maybe the first 15-20 balls of Coulter-Nile's innings before I went to bed and he looked super scratchy. Could have been dismissed on several occasions.

Must have been an amazing innings. Cricket's a funny game.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:25 pm »
+1
Definitely one of the best game so far in terms of competitivrness howevet I only watched a small portion of it.

From all accounts the umpiring was horrible WI had to get 4 decisions overturned in their innings and the ball before Gayle was out was a no ball so should've been a free hit.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2019, 12:29:14 pm »
+2
Definitely one of the best game so far in terms of competitivrness howevet I only watched a small portion of it.

From all accounts the umpiring was horrible WI had to get 4 decisions overturned in their innings and the ball before Gayle was out was a no ball so should've been a free hit.

Yeah I heard about that. Was it meant to be a front-foot no ball? I have no idea why that's still the responsibility of field umpires. Makes no sense IMO.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2019, 12:37:00 pm »
Yeah I heard about that. Was it meant to be a front-foot no ball? I have no idea why that's still the responsibility of field umpires. Makes no sense IMO.
front-foot no ball huge step over the line so not like it was close

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2019, 12:44:24 pm »
front-foot no ball huge step over the line so not like it was close

Yeah, crazy. Could have had a huge impact on the game.

Again, considering the technology available, makes no sense to me that it's the responsibility of the on-field umpire. What do you think?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2019, 04:59:00 pm »
+1
Yeah, crazy. Could have had a huge impact on the game.

Again, considering the technology available, makes no sense to me that it's the responsibility of the on-field umpire. What do you think?
Definitely, agree it shouldn't be the on-field umpires responsibility. They could easily be checking it upstairs after every ball not sure why they haven't moved to this. Apparently a couple of years ago they even tested this in a couple of ODIs.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2019, 05:06:47 pm »
+1
Definitely, agree it shouldn't be the on-field umpires responsibility. They could easily be checking it upstairs after every ball not sure why they haven't moved to this. Apparently a couple of years ago they even tested this in a couple of ODIs.

Frustrates me no end when they selectively check for front-foot no balls after a wicket's been taken. It's silly.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »
+3
Too much rain for this WC  :(

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2019, 08:56:29 pm »
+2
Mitch Marsh being flown in as cover for Stoinis. Interesting.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2019, 05:50:00 pm »
+3
Some really close games recently. Top four still looks like it'll be New Zealand/Australia/India/England, but might not have been the case had some results gone the other way.

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Anybody have any thoughts at this stage?

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2019, 06:48:16 pm »
+1
For all the talk about 500 being reached this World Cup, we haven't even cracked 400, with only four scores above 350 I believe from reading an ESPN article, while from memory I think scores under 250 have been defended twice. Just some food for thought.

I'm really enjoying following these close games actually, WI vs NZ was particularly good (really feel for Braithwaite), and it's a far cry from WI vs Pak at the start of the tournament. I feel as though ICC is finally getting the 'justification' for a 10 team WC they want, excluding more Associate Nations.

Some really close games recently. Top four still looks like it'll be New Zealand/Australia/India/England, but might not have been the case had some results gone the other way.

Interesting that you think this. I'm genuinely considering the fact that if, after today (hopefully) Australia win, England might not make the semi-finals with India and NZ to come. I feel as though even with the return of Jason Roy, Chahal, Kuldeep and Bumrah will pose some problems to the English batting lineup. It's very likely that if Australia win (when they do they effectively guarantee a semi-final berth) Bangladesh might yet again sneak through at the expense of England (and if they're lucky enough SL). I think India should finish top of the table given England's stutters and NZ should be a lock.

Definitely hyped for tonight's game, all the press coverage and stuff on ESPN makes everything even more exciting. Hard to believe that this only the second 'Big Four' game with NZ vs India getting washed-out.

Last thing: What do you think of SA's early exit? They've never not made the knockout stage since their return I think in 1992.
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 06:55:10 pm »
+1

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Anybody have any thoughts at this stage?
Top 3 cemented imo England's spot very likely but still in doubt - which is surprising since they have been the best ODI team since the last world cup and also have the home ground advantage. 

Also, England's last 3 games are possible losses since they are playing the top 3 teams (Aus/NZ/Ind) but a positive for them is that they probably only need 1 win and then barring any big upset they should make it.

Last thing: What do you think of SA's early exit? They've never not made the knockout stage since their return I think in 1992.
Given the team they have, it should be unexpected that they aren't even competing for 4th - I would've had them finishing probably 5th-6th. However, it's pretty common for SA not to live up to their abilities under pressure and when it actually matters (Re: basically every single world cup although in the 1992 semi they got robbed.)