Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:54:41 pm

Author Topic: The Major Work! Tips from a 2016 survivor :)  (Read 38531 times)  Share 

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
Re: The Major Work! Tips from a 2016 survivor :)
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2020, 09:54:33 pm »
+5
Okay, so I am not sure if this forum is still running but I'm torn between history extension and English extension 2. I am leaning more towards history but am unsure. Do you have any tips for making that decision or seeing if the history extension course is right for me?

Subject selection is always a pretty subjective process, so you'll have to draw on your own personal interests and experiences. However, from my personal experience as a English Advanced and Modern History student, I found History Extension the most fun by far of all my subjects.

You've probably heard this many times, but History Extension really is nothing like Modern, Ancient or Mandatory History. I'd describe it as much more philosophical and research orientated, so if you're into that sort of thing you'll love it. If you read through some of the posts in this forum, you'll get a better understanding of what it's like, particularly the debate thread:

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=170485.0

Obviously I'm biased since I enjoy History much more than English, but I really do recommend giving History Extension a try if at all possible. Maybe someone here can give a more balanced perspective, but hope this helps!

EDIT: Please do look at katie,rinos's resources, they provide a much more comprehensive overview than anything I said here
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:02:21 pm by Justin_L »
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2020, 11:41:49 pm »
+1
Subject selection is always a pretty subjective process, so you'll have to draw on your own personal interests and experiences. However, from my personal experience as a English Advanced and Modern History student, I found History Extension the most fun by far of all my subjects.

You've probably heard this many times, but History Extension really is nothing like Modern, Ancient or Mandatory History. I'd describe it as much more philosophical and research orientated, so if you're into that sort of thing you'll love it. If you read through some of the posts in this forum, you'll get a better understanding of what it's like, particularly the debate thread:

https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=170485.0

Obviously I'm biased since I enjoy History much more than English, but I really do recommend giving History Extension a try if at all possible. Maybe someone here can give a more balanced perspective, but hope this helps!

EDIT: Please do look at katie,rinos's resources, they provide a much more comprehensive overview than anything I said here

Thank you so much for your response! I've taken the time to think about it and discussed it with my teachers. my English ext teacher especially said that EE2 would suit me but I tend to thrive on a more structured and directed learning approach, which hist will definitely provide! I also forgot to add but ext 2 would be an online course, which would just not be as effective as hist ext which would be at my school.

and alas, I have decided hist ext is the way to go, the possibilities and overall course definitely seem much more appealing. that's adding that my historical investigation this year was basically steering towards historiography.
Remember, pain is temporary, but the HSC is for life
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies

Nomsie

• Forum Regular
  • Carpe diem
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2020, 11:44:45 pm »
+1
Hey,
Welcome to the forums!! This thread is definitely still running!  :)

Here are some articles that might help:
- What is history extension? A guide for subject selection
- Is History Extension the right course for you?
- Is English Extension 2 for you?

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Hope this helps!!  :D

Hey, these definitely helped and thank you for putting in the time to respond. As per my response to the other person who replied, I am going to do hist ext as I feel it's just suited towards my interests and accommodates my way of learning (especially as I already do eng ext online with other schools, and this would be the same for ext 2 which just wouldn't be effective).

and I will definitely take you up on that offer for future questions!

Thanks again :)
Remember, pain is temporary, but the HSC is for life
(Only Kidding!!)

HSC 2021
Eng Adv, Eng Ext 1, Eng Ext 2, Society and Culture, Modern History, Math Adv, Community and Family Studies

yasmine_carney

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2020, 10:06:05 pm »
+1
Thank you so much for these tips! still using them in 2020 :) I was just wondering if you would be able to give me a bit of info on the structure of the essay and how you would go about writing it. I'm pretty 'in the dark' on this, I really don't have much of an idea on how you would write it (do you go from view to view or by historian or make it flow more... haha don't know at all) so any info would be appreciated. I have finished term 1 of year 12 and feel like I should start thinking more seriously about the essay and am just a bit confused on how you would put it together etc. especially as I'm assuming its very different to 3 body paragraphs, intro, conclusion.
Thanks so much  ;)

izzah.adnan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2021, 08:39:04 pm »
Thank you so much for these tips! still using them in 2020 :) I was just wondering if you would be able to give me a bit of info on the structure of the essay and how you would go about writing it. I'm pretty 'in the dark' on this, I really don't have much of an idea on how you would write it (do you go from view to view or by historian or make it flow more... haha don't know at all) so any info would be appreciated. I have finished term 1 of year 12 and feel like I should start thinking more seriously about the essay and am just a bit confused on how you would put it together etc. especially as I'm assuming its very different to 3 body paragraphs, intro, conclusion.
Thanks so much  ;)

Hi! How are you thinking of structuring your major work now? :)
HSC 2021: Biology, English Adv, Ancient History, History Ext, Legal Studies, Math Advanced, PDHPE