Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:47:33 am

Author Topic: Diploma or Cross-Faculty Major?  (Read 3683 times)  Share 

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +307
Diploma or Cross-Faculty Major?
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:44:21 am »

Ok.

XD

Explaining this shall b fun.

Alrite, doing BCom 75% load.
It'll take 4 years the way I'm doing it.

I intend 2 study Japanese, but I was thinking...
If I do a concurrent dip then it'll stretch my degree out another 1.5 years.

5.5 years is a long time >.>

If I consider doing a cross-faculty major, it'll mean finishing sooner but it may limit my ability to do wot I want when I decide.
Like... accounting with CPA only leaves 7 free units (meaning either I won't finish my Jap major or I won't b able 2 get CPA accreditation).
It's all hypothetical @ moment tho, I haven't decided a major yet.
I jst know it won't b management or b.law -.-

I don't want 2 limit my opportunities, but it's also possible that I'll get sick of uni and I'll need 2 scrounge up enuf credit points 2 get the degree.
If I did a concurrent dip and that happened 2 b the case, I'd do some Jap Studies units 2 fill up my degree.

5.5 years is such a long time, but I don't think I would like the stress-head I would become if I did full-time load.
I like being able 2 do so many things while I'm doing my degree.
I don't want 2 walk out of uni after 4 years (or woteva it is) and all I have is a piece of paper.

Anywayz... thoughts/opinions?
(Bout course options, not the study load thing)

I was thinking bout doing a handful of summer semester units, but I'm not about 2 pay full-fee 4 them.
|| BComm + DipLang (Jap) @ Monash ||

cara.mel

Re: Diploma or Cross-Faculty Major?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:18:25 am »
Are you allowed to major in something outside your faculty?

If you only need one more unit, then overload a semester :)

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 11:38:52 am »

Yeah, I can.

BusEco is like a stoned hippie when it comes 2 that sort of stuff.
"Learning is gooooood maaaaaannnnn."

They actually encouraged it during a thingy @ O-Week.

"Eight open electives which may be taken from any Faculty of Business and Economics programs and campuses, or from disciplines offered by another faculty. These open electives can, in some cases, form a second major."

Their new, revamped BEco (I think it's BEco) starting in 2009 or 2010 allows bout half the units as open electives or something.
I 4get the details exactly, but usually that sort of flexibility is only seen in Arts degrees.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 03:50:03 pm »
Are you allowed to major in something outside your faculty?

If you only need one more unit, then overload a semester :)

It would defy the point of 0.75 EFTSL...

Also, full-time load isn't all that bad really :P. It's just another unit! But yeah, if you're working significant hours somewhere (particularly if it's career-oriented - work experience is more valuable than a degree), stick to 0.75 and weather out the length.
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

AQ

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Me when 5yrs old.
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 08:47:09 pm »
hmm
2008: | Further (39) |
2009: | Methods (35+) | Chem (35+) | English (33+) | 
Last two: [| Accounting (34+) | Legal (34+)]  
ENTER: 85+

2010: | Architecture @ UOM or Civil at RMIT |

Ne mutlu TURKUM Diyene

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 09:42:32 am »

Ok... useless post right there.

Not even random.

Just useless.

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:27:18 pm »

Not even random.

Just useless.

Hi Firefly, I'm sorry if I am hijacking your thread, but do you by any chance know much about the BCom - Accounting and Finance degree(this one http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/2015.html)?

I'm not sure you if you complete a major in both accounting and finance, or if you just pick one. And if you only pick one, do you know how it is different from the normal BCom single major program? It was listed separately to the regular BCom in VTAC. Sorry to ask all these questions :P

bturville

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:48:12 pm »
Just do it full time for a start. You said you want to do things and not have a full load, but studying over summer would suck unless you HAD to. One extra unit won't make that much of a difference.

If your really keen on doing Japanese, consider (this is a pretty out there option, and may just be UoM fanboyism...but worth considering) transferring to Melb Uni?! You can still do a major + accounting w/accred., and keep Jap as your 'breadth'. Also you can get credit for your monash subjects, so it won't take any longer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can get a concurrent diploma if you take 2 extra lang. subjects, either overloaded or after the end of your commerce degree. Bonus, THE LAST 4 SUBJECTS OF THE DIPLOMA ARE HECS FREE :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:52:30 pm by bturville »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 10:23:29 pm »

Not even random.

Just useless.

Hi Firefly, I'm sorry if I am hijacking your thread, but do you by any chance know much about the BCom - Accounting and Finance degree(this one http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/courses/2015.html)?

I'm not sure you if you complete a major in both accounting and finance, or if you just pick one. And if you only pick one, do you know how it is different from the normal BCom single major program? It was listed separately to the regular BCom in VTAC. Sorry to ask all these questions :P

Hey, nps... I'm glad some1's got something useful 2 ask.

@ Monash, Accounting and Finance is a single department of the BusEco faculty (eg. economics department, management department, acc & finance department, etc).
(jst FYI... relevant Acc & Finance department course codes = AFC### or Clayton-based AFX### units).
As I understand it, a straight accounting major u *have* 2 take particular units from the accounting side of the units offered by the department.
Same with finance, u *have* 2 pick units from a given 'finance' list.
Accounting and Finance u can satisfy the major by doing whichever 10 units from the department u like (note tho that a major is usually 8 units, not 10).

Wot that page is saying is that if u want an 'accounting' BCom (acc + finance) degree then u have 2 do units that count 2wards the accounting side, if u wanna do the 'finance' side of it then u'll have 2 do the finance units, or if u want a generalist 'no-frills' BCom (A & F) then u can pick whichever 10 units u want (provided they comply with normal rules eg. no more than 10 1st year units in ur degree, must have @ least 2 3rd year units, etc).

Some1 could probably explain it better than me... but basically, no... it's a single major with 2 extra units, not a double major.
A double major in Accounting and Finance is possible, but u'll only end up with 2 free electives (or only 1 if u want CPA accreditation).

EDIT: So... jst 2 clarify... ultimately, if u can get in2 straight BCom with no forced major, then do it. The main difference b/w BCom and BCom (A&F) is that ur major must come from the A&F department (which u may eventually decide u don't want, so u don't wanna b locked in2 it if u don't have 2 b).

Any1 got anything 2 add?
I suck @ explaining 2nite...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 10:34:32 pm by Fyrefly »

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 10:27:34 pm »
Just do it full time for a start. You said you want to do things and not have a full load, but studying over summer would suck unless you HAD to. One extra unit won't make that much of a difference.

If your really keen on doing Japanese, consider (this is a pretty out there option, and may just be UoM fanboyism...but worth considering) transferring to Melb Uni?! You can still do a major + accounting w/accred., and keep Jap as your 'breadth'. Also you can get credit for your monash subjects, so it won't take any longer.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you can get a concurrent diploma if you take 2 extra lang. subjects, either overloaded or after the end of your commerce degree. Bonus, THE LAST 4 SUBJECTS OF THE DIPLOMA ARE HECS FREE :D

My scholarship is worth more than the $4000 in HECS fees that I'd save.

I had originally intended 2g2 UoM, but Monash is better @ the fine art of bribery.

excal

• VN Security
  • Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Über-Geek
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 11:46:02 am »

My scholarship is worth more than the $4000 in HECS fees that I'd save.

I had originally intended 2g2 UoM, but Monash is better @ the fine art of bribery.

Yeah, they're good at that aren't they?

*hugs my $36,000 scholarship*
excal (VCE 05/06) BBIS(IBL) GradCertSc(Statistics) MBBS(Hons) GCertClinUS -- current Master of Medicine candidate
Former Global Moderator

Noblesse

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 12:41:43 pm »

Not even random.

Just useless.

Hey, nps... I'm glad some1's got something useful 2 ask.

@ Monash, Accounting and Finance is a single department of the BusEco faculty (eg. economics department, management department, acc & finance department, etc).
(jst FYI... relevant Acc & Finance department course codes = AFC### or Clayton-based AFX### units).
As I understand it, a straight accounting major u *have* 2 take particular units from the accounting side of the units offered by the department.
Same with finance, u *have* 2 pick units from a given 'finance' list.
Accounting and Finance u can satisfy the major by doing whichever 10 units from the department u like (note tho that a major is usually 8 units, not 10).

Wot that page is saying is that if u want an 'accounting' BCom (acc + finance) degree then u have 2 do units that count 2wards the accounting side, if u wanna do the 'finance' side of it then u'll have 2 do the finance units, or if u want a generalist 'no-frills' BCom (A & F) then u can pick whichever 10 units u want (provided they comply with normal rules eg. no more than 10 1st year units in ur degree, must have @ least 2 3rd year units, etc).

Some1 could probably explain it better than me... but basically, no... it's a single major with 2 extra units, not a double major.
A double major in Accounting and Finance is possible, but u'll only end up with 2 free electives (or only 1 if u want CPA accreditation).

EDIT: So... jst 2 clarify... ultimately, if u can get in2 straight BCom with no forced major, then do it. The main difference b/w BCom and BCom (A&F) is that ur major must come from the A&F department (which u may eventually decide u don't want, so u don't wanna b locked in2 it if u don't have 2 b).

Any1 got anything 2 add?
I suck @ explaining 2nite...

Sorry for late reply, been busy with exams. Thank you for this explanation Fyrefly, makes much more sense now :D
Right now I am fairly positive I want my major to be in Acc or Finance (preferably both), so if I do both, is lack of electives a bad thing? What do people usually do with their electives? Pursue interest subjects?

Fyrefly

• ★☆★ 一期一会 ★☆★
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 05:09:16 pm »
Sorry for late reply, been busy with exams. Thank you for this explanation Fyrefly, makes much more sense now :D
Right now I am fairly positive I want my major to be in Acc or Finance (preferably both), so if I do both, is lack of electives a bad thing? What do people usually do with their electives? Pursue interest subjects?

Yeah, I guess.
It's all good if u're sure bout ur major.
The problems arise if ppl aren't so sure, coz lack of electives can leave little flexibility.

Some1 else can probably explain better than me... XD
There's probably something I've missed.