Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:26:20 pm

Author Topic: Things that shit me  (Read 333944 times)  Share 

michaeljacksonftw

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Things that shit me
« Reply #660 on: May 20, 2018, 12:37:21 pm »
Wasps

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #661 on: May 20, 2018, 12:47:17 pm »
That moment when you're bombarded by the royal wedding stuff on social media instead of the Santa Fe school shooting :/
Agreed. My twitter feed this morning was full of the royal wedding. Lost count of how many tweets about it that I saw after about 30. :)
Wasps
What is it about wasps that annoys you?
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

michaeljacksonftw

• Trailblazer
« Reply #662 on: May 20, 2018, 01:00:31 pm »
+1
Just hate wasps, no reason why

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #663 on: May 20, 2018, 01:04:35 pm »
Agreed. My twitter feed this morning was full of the royal wedding. Lost count of how many tweets about it that I saw after about 30. :)
I mean, if you look at the trending hashtags on Twitter, most of them are about the royal wedding- like, did the world need to know about what Meghan Markle wore on her wedding?
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #664 on: May 20, 2018, 01:08:41 pm »
That moment when you're bombarded by the royal wedding stuff on social media instead of the Santa Fe school shooting :/

I guess I understand your POV, but for many people, the world is depressing as it is haha. It'd be good to see something nice/positive =)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #665 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:16 pm »
... you can mute words you don't want to see on twitter  ;D ;D ;D

michaeljacksonftw

• Trailblazer
« Reply #666 on: May 20, 2018, 01:31:39 pm »
... you can mute words you don't want to see on twitter  ;D ;D ;D
How? :o

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #667 on: May 20, 2018, 01:34:30 pm »
Still can't believe that '13 Reasons Why' got a second season :/
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #668 on: May 20, 2018, 02:00:37 pm »
+2
How? :o
>open the app
>Settings and privacy
>Privacy and safety
>Safety
>Muted words

although currently I don't have anything muted I may have to mute "Laurel" and "yanny"

Still can't believe that '13 Reasons Why' got a second season :/
why

michaeljacksonftw

• Trailblazer
« Reply #669 on: May 20, 2018, 02:13:25 pm »
Thanks sine 8)

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #670 on: May 20, 2018, 02:14:21 pm »
I guess I understand your POV, but for many people, the world is depressing as it is haha. It'd be good to see something nice/positive =)
I guess so, but personally, if I wanted to see something positive, I'd rather see something that can positively impact the world, like scientific breakthrough with Parkinson's disease and the development of a cure, or the fact that the snow leopard is no longer on the endangered list- those are the type of news stories that never get media coverage yet have the power to bring hope to many :)

2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #671 on: May 20, 2018, 02:21:54 pm »
+3
why

TW: suicide and pretty much everything that happens on the show.

Spoiler
To be fair the show does bring awareness to mental health issues, suicide, and other very sensitive topics but the way it's portrayed is so bad and glorifies it in a way. A girl would not simply kill herself just to have revenge. There's a lot more factors that the show doesn't really mention. Hannah hasn't been diagnosed with anything (unless this is mentioned in season two, please correct me if i'm wrong), so it just looks like 'o she's just another high school girl seeking attention'. It also romanticises suicide which isn't really correct and desensitises the seriousness of suicide. For instance, it's not really explicitly mentioned in the show but I remember when there's that montage of 'what could've been' between him and Hannah if she didn't die and the whole 'I could've saved her if I just entered a romantic relationship with her' doesn't really correspond with me. Sure love does help but there's also other options such as therapy, anti-depressants etc that could help. The whole notion of 'love conquers all' should not be included in a drama show like this and should only be represented within the rom-com genre.

The show simply uses Hannah's suicide as clickbait and a way to draw in more viewers. It should've been portrayed more differently because there's a problem within the screen industry where they think if someone has a mental health problem, then they must be super dark (ie; Dark Betty in Riverdale is an absolute mess).

Other shows portray mental health issues so authentically, such as 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend', 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' and 'Please Like Me'. In CEG, we get to see the development for Rebecca's BPD and we also get to see her misdiagnosis throughout the years and how they've affected her. In UKS, she's got PTSD but it really isn't mentioned much in the show as her determination to restart her life is emphasised. Whilst in PLM, we sees the rawness and the authentic portrayal of Josh's mum and her suicidal tendencies. Josh's mum isn't 'dark' or anything. We see her as a woman determined to make things better for her, not a victim.

@admins and @natmods: please feel free to move my arguments in a different thread or delete it altogether if you feel what I'm saying isn't appropriate at all for the site.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
« Reply #672 on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:16 pm »
+1
TW: suicide and pretty much everything that happens on the show.

Spoiler
To be fair the show does bring awareness to mental health issues, suicide, and other very sensitive topics but the way it's portrayed is so bad and glorifies it in a way. A girl would not simply kill herself just to have revenge. There's a lot more factors that the show doesn't really mention. Hannah hasn't been diagnosed with anything (unless this is mentioned in season two, please correct me if i'm wrong), so it just looks like 'o she's just another high school girl seeking attention'. It also romanticises suicide which isn't really correct and desensitises the seriousness of suicide. For instance, it's not really explicitly mentioned in the show but I remember when there's that montage of 'what could've been' between him and Hannah if she didn't die and the whole 'I could've saved her if I just entered a romantic relationship with her' doesn't really correspond with me. Sure love does help but there's also other options such as therapy, anti-depressants etc that could help. The whole notion of 'love conquers all' should not be included in a drama show like this and should only be represented within the rom-com genre.

The show simply uses Hannah's suicide as clickbait and a way to draw in more viewers. It should've been portrayed more differently because there's a problem within the screen industry where they think if someone has a mental health problem, then they must be super dark (ie; Dark Betty in Riverdale is an absolute mess).

Other shows portray mental health issues so authentically, such as 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend', 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' and 'Please Like Me'. In CEG, we get to see the development for Rebecca's BPD and we also get to see her misdiagnosis throughout the years and how they've affected her. In UKS, she's got PTSD but it really isn't mentioned much in the show as her determination to restart her life is emphasised. Whilst in PLM, we sees the rawness and the authentic portrayal of Josh's mum and her suicidal tendencies. Josh's mum isn't 'dark' or anything. We see her as a woman determined to make things better for her, not a victim.

@admins and @natmods: please feel free to move my arguments in a different thread or delete it altogether if you feel what I'm saying isn't appropriate at all for the site.

Spoiler
I definitely do see the need for open and realistic discourse with these aspects of life. I don't think we should necessarily constrain someone's view for drama in order for realism - As you have said it is drama and that involves fiction so nothing is forced to be true or a replication of real life. But, for this purpose I'll just assume that it is aiming to be realistic. Firstly to adress your points, "Hannah hasn't been diagnosed with anything" that is an important point, you don't need to be clinically diagnoised with anything to be struggling mentally and a lot of people do not want to be diagnoised. The fact that it makes her look like she wants more attention and also looking like "she's just another high school girl " is also a good feature as it allows the audience to see that the percieved want for attention isn't always as clear as it seems. Also the notion that romantic love would have saved here isn't perfectly clear to be true, it is definitely illustrated as an option that some people around her (not her specifically) thought to be a way out. Hence, also demonstrating how others have little to know understanding how someone truly feels. Anyway in terms of romanticising suicide it definitely isn't the first (e.g. Romeo and Juliet). Additionally, someone who commits suicide doesn't automatically have a mental illness, although not referring to Hannah specifically.

I haven't seen most of the shows you've mentioned so can't really speak to their portrayal of mental illness

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #673 on: May 20, 2018, 08:36:26 pm »
+5
If there's anything I've found annoying with the piano...

...it's that what I think I'm playing, or at least whatever my ears tell me when I'm playing, is DEFINITELY not the same as what someone else's ears hear.

(Proof: tried recording it. Oh the horror.)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #674 on: May 20, 2018, 08:59:25 pm »
+1
Not being able to see many stars from where I live :( Looking at the stars is so peaceful but when I go outside and can barely see any it's the opposite.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra