Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:36:11 am

Author Topic: Challenging Psych Questions  (Read 12470 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Challenging Psych Questions
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:33 am »
+4
Multiple Choice
Question 1: A
Question 2: C
Question 3: D
Question 4: A
Question 5: C

Short Answer
Question 1
a) Outline how attention in observational learning led to David developing a phobia of cockroaches. (2 marks)
Observational learning describes learning that is a result of observing others. David's mother (who, it can be assumed, that he has a good relationship with, thus making her behaviour more influential) made her phobia regarding cockroaches very apparent, which caught David's attention. As he noticed his mother reacting negatively to cockroaches, they became associated with negativity.

b) As an adult, David decided to seek professional help to manage anxiety associated with his phobia of cockroaches. David’s psychologist recommended using breathing retraining.
How could context-dependent cues help David remember his psychologist’s breathing retraining instructions? (2 marks)
(honestly don't know the answer, but a teacher at my school always says "If you're stressed, just breathe in Jesus" ;D, so I think David just needs to breathe in Jesus for a second)
My guess is that, the cue is cockroaches, and overtime he sees a cockroach and begins to panic he will recall his psychologist's breathing retraining instructions... it has something to do with the amygdala (I think)

c)  Explain how one evidence-based social intervention could be used to further assist David in managing his specific phobia of cockroaches.(3 marks)
 :o  :o  :o

Question 2
What is an advantage of using this experimental design? (1 mark)
Using repeated measures allows experimenters to asses whether or not the buzzer has become and conditioned stimulus, and produces a conditioned response.
(random side note: wouldn't it be a better experimental design if the experiments used the matched participant design and had an experimental group and a control group, or, changed the orders of the stages? Like in stage A, there should be the unconditioned stimulus, but no food. And then in stage B, it should be unconditioned stimulus and food, and then in stage C, conditioned (potentially) stimulus and no food - in order to see if there was a conditioned response... Idk, just my thoughts ;D)

Question 3
Compare how REM and NREM sleep would differ in a hypnogram of a healthy adolescent and a hypnogram of an elderly person.(2 marks)
lol, I should remember this from unit 1... but I don't. Something about you sleep less when you're older, do you also have less REM sleep when you are older? No clue...

Imma be shocked if I get any right, I really need to do some psych revision... haven't looked at memory and learning in 2 months, whoops.

QCE specific feedback
MCQ:
Everything except q5 is relevant and the same for QCE 3/4. Q5 is QCE units 1/2

Short answer:
a)
You don't cover phobias however you do cover observational learning (as you know) & should be able to apply that to a given situation.

A high-scoring QCE answer for this should demonstrate
- That you understand the role of attention in observational learning
- That you can differentiate between vicarious conditioning and modelling
- That you can apply these to the situation

If I was devising a marking scheme for this I'd say 1 mark for understanding attention, 1 mark for distinguishing between vicarious conditioning and modelling, minus 1 mark if you fail to refer to the specific situation. This would be a question I'd expect most students to perform poorly on.

Don't worry about b&c.
c isn't a great qce question but if it were in there...
There are a few angles you could potentially try for. Best bet would probably be to link a form of learning with David's social environment (could refer to conformity or social norms encouraging more moderate responses to cockroaches and have observational learning to relearn his responses)

For question 2 you should be answering this in the same way as a VCE student or more detailed than VCE.

Question 3 isn't a stress point since you don't need it for 3/4 but same answer as for VCE 3/4 applies for QCE 1/2

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 09:20:38 pm »
+2
As we are entering the second half of the epically epic science games, its as good a time as ever to jump into this thread and answering some tough questions.
Since last weeks questions didn't see to much activity, there won't be a fresh batch of questions this week as I don't want to bombard users with too many questions. So for now, the last couple weeks of questions will sit here patiently waiting to be answered.
If you haven't had a go yet at any questions or have only answered some of the questions, now would be a great time to have a crack at them and earn some points. And remember, don't worry about being wrong - if you make an error or get the wrong answer, we can give you some feedback and hopefully guide you to the correct answer!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 09:35:13 pm »
+3
Multiple Choice
Question 2: B
Question 3: A (don't really remember sleep too well :P)
Question 4: B

lol, forgot to clarify that these are answers to the first batch of questions Erutepa posted on the 20th of Jan 2020
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2020, 10:53:30 pm »
+1
Multiple Choice
Question 2: B
Question 3: A (don't really remember sleep too well :P)
Question 4: B

lol, forgot to clarify that these are answers to the first batch of questions Erutepa posted on the 20th of Jan 2020

Click here for Feedback
I will try not to answer these and instead point you in the right direction.
If you dont agree/don't understand something i have said, please feel free to discuss it further!
Question 1
The question asks for a psychological factor that perpetuates Lu-Van’s anxiety.
While stigma (option A) does operate as a perpetuating factor as Lu-Van’s embarasment about her mental health disorder prevents her from getting help, it is a social factor (stigma is a product of ideals within society) rather than a psychological factor.
As a hint I should remind you that memory is a psychological function :)

Quesiton 2
A single blind procedure is one where only the research participants don't know if they are in the placebo group or the experimental group.
A double bling procedure is one where neither the research participants or the people conducting the experiment (research assistants) know who's in the placebo group or the experimental group.
Your answer B, is unfortunately incorrect as if only the research assitants knew, the procedure would only be single blind, not double blind.

Question 3
The restorative theory of sleep basically states that NREM sleep restores physiologtical functions and REM sleep restores psychological functions.
Since 'energy' is attributed to physiological restoration, it is related to NREM sleep, not REM sleep as option A indicates

Question 4
Unfortunately I have forgotten to include the part of the question stem where it talks about the actual experiment conducted which might have made answering this quesiton a more confusing without having the context, but still doable.

The question asks for a variable that counfounds the interpretation of the results - something known as a counfounding varaible.
A confounding variable is one (by VCAA's words) that is" systematicaly confuted with the independent variable" where it effects the DV such that the effect of the IV on the DV cannot be known. This definition can be pretty hard to gather much from, so it might be better to think of a confounding variable as a variable that changes with the IV and has an impact on the DV such that the IV's effect can't be determined.
In this case context is confuted with the independent variable of the experiment as each experimental group is tested in a diffent context, thus context can be considered a confounding varaible.

For comparison, an extraneous variable is any uncontrolled variable (including confounding variables) but may also be a variable that might have an effect on one trial, but not neccasarily another (if that makes sense)

Option B describes context as something that could have an effect on the reliability - an explanation which does not neccasarily describe content as a confounding variable which is what the question asks for. Another answer does however better describe context as a confounding varaible.

Question 5
Learning to go to the parent who is in the better mood could happen through any means of reinforcement/punishment depending on the nature in which she learns the behaviouir (additional context which is not mentioned in the question stem). As this is something we cannot know, the first three options are rules out. 
This leaves the last one as correct and is such becuase Hayley is described to identify the mood of her parent as a stimulus that descriminates (that she can use to predict) the desired and undesired outcomes. For example she can identify the good mood of her parent as a stimulus that indicates a likely desired outcome (of getting to borrow a car) and the bad mood of her parent as a stimulus that indicates a likely undesired outcome (of not getting to borrow a car).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 09:41:53 am by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point