Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:16:39 am

Author Topic: sac marks  (Read 1767 times)  Share 

sillybilly123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
sac marks
« on: June 29, 2019, 02:36:35 pm »
hi so for legal we have finished unit 3 (obviously) and i got 84/100
i feel like this is REALLY bad as there are people in our cohort who have basically like dropped only 1 mark which means im ranked lower than them.
given statistics and trends from past years, is there like anyway i can get even a 40 for legal at this point cause ive dropped so many marks and most 40 plusses get like perfect marks all year
thank you

Seamus Wong

Re: sac marks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 08:00:23 pm »
i feel like this is REALLY bad as there are people in our cohort who have basically like dropped only 1 mark which means im ranked lower than them.
given statistics and trends from past years, is there like anyway i can get even a 40 for legal at this point cause ive dropped so many marks and most 40 plusses get like perfect marks all year
thank you

I wouldn't stress. Although your unit 3 mark isn't what you hoped for, it isn't extremely bad. I mean, It is bad by mine and probably your standards, but not bad enough for you to rule out the possibility of getting a 40+. Just try and get better grades next semester and do really well on the exam.
There is still a chance for you to get 40+.
Just don't let the unit 3 mark demoralise you. Forget about it.

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 09:23:21 pm »
Your mark doesn't mean anything - it's your ranking in your school combined with how you all go on the exam. Read some of the explainer posts about SAC moderation.

But it does sound like your teachers are marking very softly. Don't expect that on the exam.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!

mlidgerwood4617

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 09:06:38 am »
thank you

Don't stress about it, it's in the past even though you aren't super happy! Best advice is to keep working as hard as you can between now and the exam. If you can smash the exam you can definitely have a chance of 40+.

Also not true necessarily that your teacher is a soft marker. I had a 98% average (lost only 4 marks total) but we had a bell-curve in class so it is irrelevant and I got a 40+. Things like ranking will only stress you out so just focus on yourself and try your hardest. Good luck!

meganrobyn

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +62
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 10:49:11 pm »
+1
No, their teacher is being a soft marker. Last year on the exam a 39/40 SS was a 63-ish out of 80. If people say that only students who get perfect scores receive a SS above 40, it's because perfect scores are being given out in their SACs too easily.

Ultimately, focusing on constant improvement and doing your best are the only ways to go - but assume you're getting perhaps not as much criticism as another teacher might give you. Look for criticism, and then work on those specific things.
[Update: full for 2018.] I give Legal lectures through CPAP, and am an author for the CPAP 'Legal Fundamentals' textbook and the Legal 3/4 Study Guide.
Available for private tutoring in English and Legal Studies.
Experience in Legal 3/4 assessing; author of Legal textbook; degrees in Law and English; VCE teaching experience in Legal Studies and English. Legal Studies [50] English [50] way back when.
Good luck!