Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:55:18 am

Author Topic: I'm so lost and need help (What subject to drop?)  (Read 1770 times)

sicily510

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I'm so lost and need help (What subject to drop?)
« on: December 07, 2019, 09:12:46 pm »
Hey folks.

Reality has finally smacked me in the face, and I'm letting go of my ego slowly (but not surely).

Let's just say I've been dodging the pages of advice that explicitly told me I can no longer live off being lazy-smart (and survive off all-nighters) and expect to have a very high ATAR.

As a result, I really need your help and input (please).

The subjects that I'm doing are:
Note: Inside the brackets are my half-yearly grades, and then my yearly grades. This will pretty much explain why I'm in dire need.

Biology (A, then B)
Chemistry (B, then C)
English Advanced (C, then B)
English Extension (C)
Maths Advanced (D)
Music 1 (B)
PDH&PE (A, then B)

Just some info:

My interim goal is to pursue Medicine, so I gotta factor in study for the UCAT.
According to some sources, if I have this goal in mind, I must keep Chemistry & Advanced Maths (and get a B4+) since they're usually prerequisites.

I understand that I'm pursuing Medicine but evidently suck at these two subjects, however, I believe with a strict regime, consistent study, constant student-to-teacher communication and learning alongside the top students that I may be able to pull it all together. I'm open to input.

I also read on here that having an Extension subject is heavily favoured by Universities.

I also use Music 1 as my "relaxing/bludge" subject, despite the fact that I've been relaxing in everything.
It's enjoyable and I feel like I could achieve a B6 with minimal stress (will probably perform contemporary jazz-fusion to make up for the (apparent) bias towards blues/rock guitar playing)

Feel free to be HONEST and TRUTHFUL. Please don't sugar-coat (but I also really want to achieve well in the HSC, so I am willing to take the right steps so long as it fits with my goal). Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:31:43 pm by sicily510 »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: I'm so lost and need help (What subject to drop?)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:37:25 pm »
+1
Are you looking at medicine through Undergrad? because for that you would need much higher than a band 4+, you'll need atleast a band 6.

sicily510

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 09:52:02 pm »
Are you looking at medicine through Undergrad? because for that you would need much higher than a band 4+, you'll need atleast a band 6.

:-[
I'll try do whatever it takes to get my ass off Maths, but I suppose in the end there are other opportunities if I learn the hard way that Medicine ain't the way to go.

Otherwise, I'd try pursue JMP (Uni Newcastle/Uni New England) or UNSW Rural.
If I don't make the B6 mark, then my alternative is to pursue postgraduate study in a science or health field if I want to keep doing Medicine.

Any plain honest advice?
Thank you for the quick response :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 09:55:49 pm by sicily510 »

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:14:56 pm »
:-[
I'll try do whatever it takes to get my ass off Maths, but I suppose in the end there are other opportunities if I learn the hard way that Medicine ain't the way to go.

Otherwise, I'd try pursue JMP (Uni Newcastle/Uni New England) or UNSW Rural.
If I don't make the B6 mark, then my alternative is to pursue postgraduate study in a science or health field if I want to keep doing Medicine.

Any plain honest advice?
Thank you for the quick response :)
Oh my bad I said you'll need a band 6 just because Medicine requires a REALLY high Atar, and as such for that atar you would obviously need all band 6's. With that being said there are some universities with a significantly lower atar cutoff as far as I know where a high band 5 could suffice.

You can still get in if you work hard I mean year 12 has only just started, you have heaps of assessments left. Right now your main focus should be your goal and working towards it.

As for your post, what do you need advice/input on? I can't seem to find where you've mentioned what you need advice for?

sicily510

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:19:03 pm »
Oh my bad I said you'll need a band 6 just because Medicine requires a REALLY high Atar, and as such for that atar you would obviously need all band 6's. With that being said there are some universities with a significantly lower atar cutoff as far as I know where a high band 5 could suffice.

You can still get in if you work hard I mean year 12 has only just started, you have heaps of assessments left. Right now your main focus should be your goal and working towards it.

As for your post, what do you need advice/input on? I can't seem to find where you've mentioned what you need advice for?

Sorry, I didn't actually mention that --

I don't know if I can maintain 13 units, so I'm debating whether or not I should drop a subject and if so, which one?

:)