Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:58:41 pm

Author Topic: English Resources and Sample Essays  (Read 426405 times)  Share 

Stick

• Victorian
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Sticky. :P
  • Respect: +467
Re: ~*Context External Examples Guide*~
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2014, 10:02:51 pm »
+3
I've added it to my to-do list once exams are done (I'm posting this here to hold myself accountable to doing it). Watch this space!
2017-2020: Doctor of Medicine - The University of Melbourne
2014-2016: Bachelor of Biomedicine - The University of Melbourne

Jono_CP

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2014, 11:16:35 pm »
If only I had this information when I did my context SAC...

I don't know, I definitely used the budget example.

I just wrote... I don't know what. Well I do, but like I have no idea if it was any good. I thought it was sophisticated - sometimes I think that my grammar and punctuation (e.g. commas) and everything should be placed in a certain way and this disturbs my flow of writing/ideas.

Jono_CP

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2014, 11:21:38 pm »
For sport, one could possibly discuss ASADA's probe into the Essendon Football Club and how that is tarnishing the AFL brand. When reality, it is only one club that is only in the 'spotlight' so to speak.

Another would be the safety concerns regarding the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Research suggests that the UFC is actually safer than more people realise in comparison to other sports.

One could write about Mike Tyson's scary demeanour as only an illusion to trick his opponents into surrender. If one reads his book, he honestly doesn't seem like a bad guy.

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
+1
Sorry if this has already been posted but check out the song rudimental- not giving in. It shows the contrast between two brothers, one who chooses dancing and how it ended up saving his life, and the other one getting involved with gangs and  drugs who ended up dying. I think this is more identity and belonging as it shows how the people you associate with can either influence you positively or negatively. Your identity is shaped by those around you, and especially the groups you belong to. Thoughts?

Rod

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory
  • Respect: +101
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2014, 02:03:33 pm »
Sorry if this has already been posted but check out the song rudimental- not giving in. It shows the contrast between two brothers, one who chooses dancing and how it ended up saving his life, and the other one getting involved with gangs and  drugs who ended up dying. I think this is more identity and belonging as it shows how the people you associate with can either influence you positively or negatively. Your identity is shaped by those around you, and especially the groups you belong to. Thoughts?
I don't' do identity and belonging but that sounds pretty good :)
2013-2014:| VCE
2015-2018:| Bachelor of Science (Neuroscience) @ UoM
2019-X:| Doctor of Dental Surgery (discontinued)
2019 -2021:| Master of Physiotherapy

Currently: Physiotherapist working at a musculoskeletal clinic. Back pain, sore neck, headaches or any other pain limiting your study? Give me a PM (although please do see your personal health professional first!)

Any questions related to pathways towards studying dentistry or physiotherapy? Gimmi a PM!

Edward Elric

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2014, 02:38:05 pm »
+1
I don't' do identity and belonging but that sounds pretty good :)

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2014, 06:42:07 pm »
Thanks guys, added your examples, keep 'em coming :)

Jason12

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +15
  • School: WCC
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »
Is mentioning super heroes in an I&B piece too overdone or too cheesy? My example would be in the show "Arrow" the main character oliver who is a billionaire, is pressured by his family into taking over and running his fathers company and becoming a modest, responsible adult but really he wants to be a hero and save the city from criminals. He's pressured to take on an identity that he doesn't want to be associated with. Also batman where he says "It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me". I like that quote but wouldn't be sure how to turn it into a full paragraph

also something we touched in class on about how most year 12's will be 18 years and how society expects 18 year olds to be responsible but some people don't feel like they have become truly responsible at 18 and thus don't feel like they belong as a proper adult

also the example of Elliot Rodgers (guy who shot up a college campus) can be used as an I&B example. Although he was twisted and psychopathic and despite his family being rich and well connected, he was constantly bullied in each school he went to and never belonged with others.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:31:12 pm by Jason12 »
2014 ATAR - 88

2015 sem 1 - Bachelor of Business (Accounting/Banking & Finance) - Monash

2015 sem 2 - Present: Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting/Finance), Diploma of Languages (Chinese) - Monash

Paulrus

• No exam discussion
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +102
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:54 am »
Ahem. I see your greek mythology and raise you my Art:Performance art is the greatest.
i'll raise you once more - zeus slept with a mortal woman named semele and she became pregnant, and he promised her anything she wanted. she asked to see his true form, so he showed her, which caused her to burst into flames and die. (oops?)
so he took the fetus from the ashes, stitched it in his thigh, and later gave birth to it himself. and that baby then became the god of wine  8)

also i just saw you included black mirror, massive props haha. white bear was absolutely fantastic.
2015-2017: Bachelor of Arts (Psychology) at University of Melbourne.

sparked

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2014, 12:37:35 am »
Lauren is killing it!
B. Bmed III UoM: Anatomy Major
ATAR: 99.55
English [50] - Studio Arts [49] - Biology [47]

https://sites.google.com/view/sparkedvce
^ $25p/h! Sparked VCE Biology Classes: Sat, Sun, Wed. 10 days left to sign up! (Includes full year notes!!!)

Achieve 50 in VCE English Headstart Lecture: https://goo.gl/forms/NPuCsLbh8dfKjMsb2

Jono_CP

« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »

For identity and belonging I'd also highly recommend the novel cum movie: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

mikehepro

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +14
  • School: Beaconhills College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »
Border Crossing: Another book by Pat Barker apparently? Wonder why he isn't on the booklist for being so relevant?
Cheers mikehepro, I'm keen to seek this one out myself now.

Thanks for adding it on the list! Oh and i just saw Black Mirror on the list, as if i didn't see it earlier :P it's my favorite TV show/social commentary,love the ideas implied in it!
PS: DON'T WATCH THE FIRST EPISODE,hehe
2015: UoM BSci

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 10:50:27 pm »
Is mentioning super heroes in an I&B piece too overdone or too cheesy? My example would be in the show "Arrow" the main character oliver who is a billionaire, is pressured by his family into taking over and running his fathers company and becoming a modest, responsible adult but really he wants to be a hero and save the city from criminals. He's pressured to take on an identity that he doesn't want to be associated with. Also batman where he says "It's not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me". I like that quote but wouldn't be sure how to turn it into a full paragraph

also something we touched in class on about how most year 12's will be 18 years and how society expects 18 year olds to be responsible but some people don't feel like they have become truly responsible at 18 and thus don't feel like they belong as a proper adult

also the example of Elliot Rodgers (guy who shot up a college campus) can be used as an I&B example. Although he was twisted and psychopathic and despite his family being rich and well connected, he was constantly bullied in each school he went to and never belonged with others.

Superheros are a pretty common one, but it's a broad enough topic, and since I've already acknowledged WWII and asylum seekers this is probably worth a mention.
I really like your point about the paradox of being a young adult, and what that label actually means. If anyone else wants to unpack this further or challenge this in some way, I'd welcome it.
And I've mentioned the USCB shootings in the media stories section. Sorry, I have this thing about actually mentioning the shooter's name. You probably should know it if you're writing a piece, but I remember this press conference in America back when I was a kid, (I think it was one of the high school massacres) in whichc the principal said something along the lines of 'I would ask the media not to dwell on the perpetrator of this horrendous crime. Don't show his face, don't make his name infamous, because this feeds the culture and only makes other desperate children think of this as an option. Instead, focus on the victims.' He then preceded to tell stories about some of the children who'd been shot, who they were and what the community had lost. Obviously your essays aren't a form of broadcast media, so you're free to delve into the shooter's psychology for academic reasons, but I think the other side of the story has potential too. Or otherwise you could zoom out and consider the role of the media coverage like I've just done.
Shootings in America are depressingly common, so while this year's assessors may not have heard this story in particular, they will be familiar with many others, and you definitely address this if it's not too bleak for you. I'll also put a video link to one of John Oliver's segments on the Gun Debate in which he compares the situation in the US to here. Makes you proud to be Aussie :) he makes us look quite awesome.

For identity and belonging I'd also highly recommend the novel cum movie: The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Added, cheers Jono_CP :)

also i just saw you included black mirror, massive props haha. white bear was absolutely fantastic.
Thanks for adding it on the list! Oh and i just saw Black Mirror on the list, as if i didn't see it earlier :P it's my favorite TV show/social commentary,love the ideas implied in it!
I had no idea this show was so popular, always good to know :)

PS: DON'T WATCH THE FIRST EPISODE,hehe
Lol, dude, why would you say this, now they're all going to watch it *face palm*

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2014, 07:18:45 pm »
+2
Awesome thread.  Some useful examples for some specific contexts:

Conflict - the philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche.  He's the guy who originated the phrase "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger", and basically (this is a VERY reductionist explanation) advocates the idea that conflict is the essence of life itself, and that embracing it leads to growth and empowerment.

-the Israel/Palestine conflict.  Great example of a conflict that simply refuses to resolve itself.  A couple of factors play into this, including a tendency on both sides to use immoral/terrorist tactics, religious/ethnic/historical factors, the fact that both sides are internally divided (Israel uses a proportional voting system, which basically means that there are four different parties sharing parliament who disagree on everything - Palestine is governed by Hamas and Fatah, the former which is a terrorist organisation and the latter which is corrupt as hell, and both disagree with each other quite often too), etc.

-the Senkaku/Diaoyu Island conflict - an example of conflict spurring out of seemingly nothing.  Basically, both China and Japan want these uninhabited islands (which are basically worthless), and most of the reason why there is a massive conflict about it is because both countries are nationalistic and want to exercise their "pride" (this is again a simplistic overview - read up more on it if you want).  A few years ago the Economist was talking about how this could potentially trigger World War III - nowadays that seems unlikely, but it's still ongoing and any misstep by either side would bring China and the US (who is obliged to defend Japan) into direct conflict.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].

EvangelionZeta

• Quintessence of Dust
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:51 pm »
+1
Identity and Belonging - theories of gender and performativity in Judith Butler.  This is very advanced continental philosophy, but there should be some simplified guides floating around.  The basic idea is that concepts such as "womanhood" exist only as a sort of performance, that society writes roles for individuals and that we "re-iterate" these roles and reinforce them through our performance of them.  The basic idea underlying all this is that identity therefore doesn't really exist per se, except within our performances of said identities.  Might not necessarily be super relevant to all prompts, but might be something worth thinking about.

-Looking at the Howard/Pauline Hanson years of Australian politics - how identity and belonging was negotiated and discussed on a nation-wide scale (is there an Australian "identity" to be protected?  Who should actually belong to Australia?  Are migrants challenging our sense of belonging and way of Australian life? etc.)

-The Woman Warrior (Maxine Hong-Kingston) - the most widely taught text in the United States, is basically all about migrant identity, but also the identity of a girl whose ancestors' come to define her notion of self in the present.  Definitely look into it if you want an alternate text (and there are a gazillion resources out there on this).

-The Slap (Christos Tsiolkas) - brilliant Australian novel about identity being formed in Melbourne suburbs.  Explores notions of migrant identity, identity for white Australians in an age of "multiculturalism", and also gendered and queer identities, particularly for youths.  All sorts of stuff on the reality and absence of belonging here.
---

Finished VCE in 2010 and now teaching professionally. For any inquiries, email me at [email protected].