Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:12:22 am

Author Topic: Biology Assessment Task - Help!!!  (Read 4548 times)  Share 

hungrymuffin

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Biology Assessment Task - Help!!!
« on: February 13, 2021, 12:40:45 pm »
Hey guys!

So I've just received an assessment task for a biology practical exam. They've basically given us no information other than the fact that they'll be assessing skills and content for mod 5 and first inquiry question for mod 6. I'm so stressed on how I'm supposed to be preparing. I'll obviously revise all the mod 5 & 6 content we need to know, but we haven't done any practicals in class for these module and I have no idea what to expect. Any ideas on what I should do to be best prepared?

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
Re: Biology Assessment Task - Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 09:01:42 pm »
+3
Hi hungrymuffin,

Practical exams can sometimes be tricky to prepare for, but it's great that you are trying to get yourself as ready as possible.

FULL DISCLAIMER: I'm not too familiar with the new Biology syllabus, but I did have a look at it while I wrote this post.

As you already said, it's a good idea to go back and revise your content from each of the modules. But additionally, perhaps go through the syllabus inquiry questions, focusing in particular on points that start with language that implies practicals - e.g. "investigate". From there, you can get a general idea of what you could potentially be required to do in the practical and if you're really keen, could do a bit of research into what HSC level experiments might look like for these.

These are the points that I've interpreted as achieved in practicals, but definitely check out the syllabus yourself as well:

DNA and Polypeptide Synthesis: construct appropriate representations to model and compare the forms in which DNA exists in
eukaryotes and prokaryotes

Genetic Variation:
- conduct practical investigations to predict variations in the genotype of offspring by modelling
meiosis, including the crossing over of homologous chromosomes, fertilisation and mutations
-  collect, record and present data to represent frequencies of characteristics in a population, in
order to identify trends, patterns, relationships and limitations in data, for example: examining frequency data, analysing single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP)

For module 6, especially the technologies section, I'm not sure how practical skills could be tested as such, but I definitely think the principles and content taught in these parts could be used in writing up a report discussion or in the context of a module 5 skill.

Some classic hands-on tasks for module 5 I could think of that you could familiarise yourself with:

- Microscopy techniques: preparing specimen, using a microscope, making accurate and scaled drawings
- Using punnett squares and pedigrees to determine genotypes, phenotypes and hereditary.
- Plant dissections of reproductive organs, also labelled drawings of this.
- Extracting DNA from different things, e.g. a strawberry.
- Making a model of DNA or a process in polypeptide synthesis.

At the end of the day, practical exams are designed to be doable without a lot of prior preparation, so as long as you are comfortable writing a scientific report, and can follow the instructions clearly, keep track of time and apply all the knowledge you have been learning, you should do just fine. :)

All the best for the exam!

2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2021, 10:31:30 pm »
+3
Hey guys!

So I've just received an assessment task for a biology practical exam. They've basically given us no information other than the fact that they'll be assessing skills and content for mod 5 and first inquiry question for mod 6. I'm so stressed on how I'm supposed to be preparing. I'll obviously revise all the mod 5 & 6 content we need to know, but we haven't done any practicals in class for these module and I have no idea what to expect. Any ideas on what I should do to be best prepared?

Hey hungrymuffin! :D

kauac's answer is spot on! ;)
I just wanted to add another couple of practicals that could stem from the syllabus:

Cell Replication:
"Model the processes involved in cell replication, including but not limited to:
- Mitosis and Meiosis
- DNA Replication using the Watson and Crick DNA model, including nucleotide composition, pairing and bonding"

DNA and Polypeptide Synthesis:
"Model the process of polypeptide synthesis, including:
- Transcription and Translation
- Assessing the importance of mRNA and tRNA in transcription and translation
- Analysing the function and importance of polypeptide synthesis
- Assessing how genes and environment affect phenotypic expression"

Advice For Approaching Practicals:
When given a practical task, you may be given a write up you have to do after the prac. So it is important that you understand and know:
- Independent, Dependent and Control
- Validity, Accuracy and Reliability (How do you test it, how do you improve it, and be able to define each + give examples)
- Qualitative and Quantitative Observations
- Risk Assessment
- Systematic Errors
- Random Errors

(Just a fun fact, accuracy is affected by systematic error and reliability is affected by random errors)

Also, when I was doing the HSC Biology course at school, my practical task was based on modelling some of the processes in Module 5, Cell Replication topic (Mitosis, Meiosis, Crossing Over, Independent Assortment), DNA Replication, Polypeptide Synthesis and all of those processes in those topics.

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

bvgtyujn

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 11:14:23 am »
Hey, I have a very similar assignment but for module 7, do you have any clue as to what pracs would be tested. Thank you!

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2021, 10:38:58 pm »
Hey, I have a very similar assignment but for module 7, do you have any clue as to what pracs would be tested. Thank you!

Hi bvgtyujn!
Welcome to the forums ;D

According to the NESA HSC Biology syllabus (Module 7), the pracs you will need to know/ be tested include:
1. "Design and conduct a practical investigation relating to the microbial testing of water or food samples"
🧬For this you must know the following for the experiment you conducted at school:
     - Aim
     - Hypothesis
     - Materials
     - Method
     - Variables
     - Results
     - Conclusion
     - Risk Assessment (Extension info)

Extra Pracs (More content heavy pracs):
❗ Robert Koch's experiment of identifying microbial origins and work regarding his 4 postulates
❗ Louis Pasteur's Swan-Necked Flask Experiment

Also, one of the most crucial things in Module 7 is to have lots of examples across a wide range of dot points. For Example, in the "Responses to Pathogens" section, you have to investigate the response of a named Australian plant to a named pathogen through practical
and/or secondary-sourced investigation (NESA, 2017). So you could use the disease of Citrus Canker on an Orange tree as an example, and then explain the response of the tree to eliminate the pathogen.

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5