Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 03:36:20 am

Author Topic: URGENT: NEED HELP!!!!  (Read 935 times)  Share 

Eugene.02

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
URGENT: NEED HELP!!!!
« on: April 30, 2019, 03:56:59 pm »
+1
Hello

i am trying to find techniques out of this sentence: God sent Back Mary – the “Whitest” gin in all the land. Or, at least, god sent King jimmy first, and he sent Black Mary

so far i can only think of hyperbole but i don't think it is right!!!!

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
Re: URGENT: NEED HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 05:06:30 pm »
+5
Hey!

I would also consider biblical allusions (God, Mary and King), imagery, and colour imagery (black and white - negative and positive connotations, what do the colours mean?) techniques.

I think you can consider "the “Whitest” gin in all the land" a hyperbole.

Hope that helps!

Eugene.02

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 05:45:20 am »
Hey!

I would also consider biblical allusions (God, Mary and King), imagery, and colour imagery (black and white - negative and positive connotations, what do the colours mean?) techniques.

I think you can consider "the “Whitest” gin in all the land" a hyperbole.

Hope that helps!

than you very much for your help

Eugene.02

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 05:32:09 pm »
and another one that i cant think of a technique.......

"the other two covered their right ears with their hats, out of respect for the departed – whoever he might have been"

i can only think of short sentence but i don't know if it is right

thanks for the help

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:48:00 pm »
+2

"the other two covered their right ears with their hats, out of respect for the departed – whoever he might have been"

Hey!

Personally I would consider this sentence a complex sentence as it contains more than one idea. The effect of this may be to draw attention to the relationship between 'the other two' and 'the departed'.

I would also consider the use of the dash to emphasis 'whoever he might have been' - why does the author draw the reader's attention to this?

I don't recall this quote from any texts I have studied but I would suggest that you could look at if there is any symbolism in the quote, in relation to the rest of the story (especially 'the departed'), and the meaning behind the deliberate imagery within 'covered their right ears with their hats'.

Sorry I couldn't give a more direct answer but I hope this helps a bit!!
 :)

Eugene.02

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 05:45:47 am »
+1
Hey!

Personally I would consider this sentence a complex sentence as it contains more than one idea. The effect of this may be to draw attention to the relationship between 'the other two' and 'the departed'.

I would also consider the use of the dash to emphasis 'whoever he might have been' - why does the author draw the reader's attention to this?

I don't recall this quote from any texts I have studied but I would suggest that you could look at if there is any symbolism in the quote, in relation to the rest of the story (especially 'the departed'), and the meaning behind the deliberate imagery within 'covered their right ears with their hats'.

Sorry I couldn't give a more direct answer but I hope this helps a bit!!
 :)

thank you that is very helpful. sorry i should have said at the start, the quote is form "The Union Buries its dead"