Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 11:05:15 am

Author Topic: Rule Of Three in an oral presentation  (Read 451 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Rule Of Three in an oral presentation
« on: August 02, 2019, 06:44:49 pm »
Hey Guys!!
I'm doing a oral presentation on the topic of changing the date of australia day. I am for the change. I want to use the rule of three in my presentation. with three points about being Australian so far i have We are proud. We are Australian. We must change the date but it doesn't really flow and i want it to align with Aussie beliefs but also link with changing the day because its right.
Cheers!
J_Rho
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Rule Of Three in an oral presentation
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:23:11 am »
+2
Hmm.. in this case I think you might be trying to hard to force the technique in where it doesn't fit. I agree with you that it doesn't quite work with these phrases.
I've tried coming up with similar phrases (e.g. 'Australia has a long history. Australia must move forward together. Australia date must change' ) but also wasn't able to find one that I thought worked well.

The way I would approach this is to start drafting your speech and whenever you come to a point where you are using a list or repeition see if you can incorporate the rule there rather than trying to pre-make a phrase. (Take that with a grain of salt since my writing style is probably not the same as yours)

Good luck :)

OZLexico

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +8
Re: Rule Of Three in an oral presentation
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:45:39 am »
I agree that you're starting with some pretty bald statements so even these basic ideas need some development in order to run a persuasive piece. Maybe think about what Australians are "proud" of and the focus of this in Australia Day rituals (eg Australian of the Year and the focus it can give to specific issues for Australians) - so what and who are Australians being proud of on that particular day. Secondly, I think you are trying to suggest that there is something unique and distinctive about Australians. Some comparison and contrast might be handy as a persuasive device to express this. I think your third point needs more thought - you say changing the date is "right" but what makes it right? Is this part of your argument about inclusiveness and respect for indigenous experience of colonization?