Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:57:25 am

Author Topic: How to stay calm during exam?  (Read 4276 times)

PSHK

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
How to stay calm during exam?
« on: October 08, 2016, 03:47:37 pm »
Like the title says, I tend to freak out during exams and blank out quite often. Got any useful tips on how to counteract this issue?

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: How to stay calm during exam?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 03:49:08 pm »
Im pretty sure this q has been asked before hehe

PSHK

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 03:49:59 pm »
O sorry if it's a repeat question..

onepunchboy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
  • School: Concord High
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 03:50:27 pm »
I think timing urself in exam conditions help alot so youll feel.more comfortable during the actual hsc

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 03:52:42 pm »
There's been replies in the HSC discussion thread.

Start by taking a deep breath and calming yourself down. You need to get back out of the mode first before you can do anything. Drink some water if it helps you.

Then slowly get back into it.

Question - What triggers you into this state?

PSHK

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 03:56:12 pm »
I guess it's the anxiety of knowing that every minute counts. I mindblank for a minute, and then the thought of that minute I've just wasted triggers my anxiety further.

Thanks for the advice though!

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2016, 04:04:33 pm »
Whilst every minute counts, not everyone can think for a continuous 10400 seconds of their life.

If your brain temporarily pauses, as annoying as it might be just let it pause. That's what I did.

After a bit of regrouping, it just came back to me. Do not spend time crying over spilled milk in the exam. If your brain stops working, take a deep breath, refocus, and get back into it. Not go backwards.

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »
+1
well the usual:
1.take slow breaths
2.come early so you know you're prepared
3.Focus on the Q and just try your best to answer
4.its only an exam

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »
4.its only an exam
Careful. This is true in some ways but I don't usually say this because exams can mean a lot at the time. Should only really say that after an exam in my opinion, not before/during

vincentso69

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 10:25:11 pm »
true.

i guess some people are really passionate about their course in uni and ultimately their career, so these exams are everything to them.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 11:54:14 pm »
true.

i guess some people are really passionate about their course in uni and ultimately their career, so these exams are everything to them.

At the time I would say the majority of people would say it is everything to them, or at least close. With the benefit of hindsight, trust me; you'll wonder why you worried so much. Most 2nd year students take a while to recall their exact ATAR ;)

studybuddy7777

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +16
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2016, 09:40:08 am »
At the time I would say the majority of people would say it is everything to them, or at least close. With the benefit of hindsight, trust me; you'll wonder why you worried so much. Most 2nd year students take a while to recall their exact ATAR ;)

By the time I am in first year I probably won't want to remember my ATAR :D
true.

We should all have something we strive for, and that is what pushes us through the HSC. Hard to motivate yourself to do your best if there is nothing to motivate you.

BPunjabi

• Forum Obsessive
  • So... Hows life?
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2016, 01:28:10 pm »
By the time I am in first year I probably won't want to remember my ATAR :D
We should all have something we strive for, and that is what pushes us through the HSC. Hard to motivate yourself to do your best if there is nothing to motivate you.

Naa Fam, Netflix and chill...... eventually the question will be "What Exams???" :P
Did HSC in 2016 and was first person to get 100. Aeronautical engineering for me now :P
  <-- CLICK ME

naomisirmai

• HSC Lecturer
  • Trailblazer
  • ~BACK YOURSELF~
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2016, 10:15:35 am »
+4
Like the title says, I tend to freak out during exams and blank out quite often. Got any useful tips on how to counteract this issue?

Your 'fight or flight' reflex is kicking in! Your brain evolved in a time where threats were more abundant - it can't distinguish between anxiety from an exam and anxiety from being chased by a woolly mammoth!
Your job, then, is trying to convince it that there's no threat.
That means taking deep breaths, closing your eyes, giving yourself a minute to calm down and *think*.
You can talk to yourself, remind yourself that you *do* know stuff and you *are* going to be okay.
It's better to spend some time relaxing and getting yourself in the right frame of mind than rushing ahead and trying to write when you're just not ready and you're not calm.
ATAR: 99.45
Studying Medicine at UNSW
Biology: 94 | Chemistry: 93 | Ancient History: 95 | History Ext: 47 | English Adv: 93 | English Ext 1: 47 | English Ext 2: 49 | UMAT: 95

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2016, 06:21:37 pm »
If I was really freaking out during an exam, I'd probably ask to take a quick bathroom break. Being in a room full of people, who all - from your position as someone who can't see what they are actually writing - look like they know what they're doing can definitely be intimidating, and will not make it any easier if you're feeling super stressed, so if you have the opportunity to leave that environment and clear your head for 2 mins I'd take it :) I know the lost time isn't ideal, but if you are super stressed anyway you might not be able to use that time effectively, or possibly even more time. TL;DR If you can afford it (ie. you're not struggling for time as it is), It's better to take 2 mins out to clear your head than spend 15 mins worrying and writing something that reflects that.
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!