Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:15:00 am

Author Topic: Online/remote learning stories & moments  (Read 3530 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Online/remote learning stories & moments
« on: April 14, 2020, 01:24:50 pm »
+10
Hey everyone,

With VCE having mandated* online learning for a bit now & QCE starting this next week (HSC is... mostly business as usual for now?) I though it would be good to start a thread for sharing online learning stories & moments - whether they're as relatable as someone forgetting to turn on their mic, or as rare as a unique digital background.

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
Re: Online/remote learning stories & moments
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:12:30 pm »
+13
A bit embarrassing but here we go!

I was having my first SAC online via Microsoft forms. We had to be on a zoom call which was being recorded so we were all seen. I was anxious as it was my first SAC so I decided to hop on the zoom 5 mins early. I thought it would come up with the typical 'this event starts at blah' but instead it was a meeting with all of my schools' heads of departments!

I was mortified :-\ :-[
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:13:11 pm »
+10
Not highschool but:
-Like Bri MT said people forgetting to unmute their microphones (always seems to be the same people) :P
-Virtual Backgrounds :) Seemed to be popular during the first few times but has definitely reduced since
-The awkward moment when you all are trying to leave the zoom meeting at the end.
-Two people trying to talk at the same time without realising

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:07:00 pm »
+7
Family members saying something weird or random while I'm speaking on zoom.

E.g my brother told me to shoosh because he was trying to record an interview for English while I was talking in a workshop breakout room.   ;D
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 01:48:52 pm »
+7
Hello!

For most Victorian HS students, today was the first day of online learning for Term 2. How has everyone found it so far? And how is your school implementing remote learning - are you sent emails with tasks to complete or is it more interactive over another platform like Zoom? :)

Wishing you all the best!
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:14:43 pm »
+9
The perks of online learning are:
- not wearing school uniform
- listening to music whenever you want :D
- eating during class
- your teacher showing you their pets/kids

But nothing compares to actually going to school :( (I miss it so much!)

It doesn't feel like school and I certainly don't feel motivated - I'm still in holiday mode. Usually, I feel motivated once school starts and I have a proper regime, but I don't have that anymore and being at home all the time makes me feel claustrophobic. Oh well, I'll just have to drag myself to do work. I also wonder how our prac-based SACs are going to work out... VCAA has made no announcements about how they (+ other SACs) should be run; indicative of their own uncertainty about what to do in this situation, so I can't expect teachers to know what to do :P
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 02:23:48 pm »
+8
- students using voice mods in class
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 05:18:15 pm »
+7
- everyone was using Snapchat filters and changing their backgrounds and it was so distracting lol. 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 10:02:55 am »
+8
- everyone was using Snapchat filters and changing their backgrounds and it was so distracting lol. 

Similar to this, virtual backgrounds were fun at first but they just got too distracting. I kept changing my backgrounds during lectures and workshops and I would ask people about their backgrounds too. Everyone's definitely stopped using the virtual background option.

Also- you know how Zoom displays your name next to your video? I usually have my camera on so that I am forced to pay attention in class. I (sometimes) go on my phone when I'm bored but just have it off screen so that it's not suspicious (really bad habit- I've turned off my phone for every single lecture and workshop now) The guest speaker (for some reason) always pick me to share my thoughts about the lecture and what I've learnt (out of all 60+ students). This has happened to me twice now. I've managed to answer their question and share my thoughts with everyone. From that point on, I realised that I should really get off my phone because I'll miss out on important information.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2020, 11:48:47 am »
+9
The best thing is when people show their pets! I'm doing peer mentoring with 3rd years atm so helping with zoom pracs etc and last week the tutor showed everyone her dog <3

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 06:48:54 pm »
+5
I usually have my camera on so that I am forced to pay attention in class.

Thanks for sharing that, you've now given me a reason to put my camera on. I go on my phone during class as well sometimes now, and because everyone is home, the notifications don't stop rolling in.

Definitely gonna be having my camera on next week. (I should also lock my phone away as well) 

Edit: Does anyone else feel like the day goes super quick? Weird. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 06:54:43 pm by Ionic Doc »
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 07:41:04 pm »
+5
Does anyone else feel like the day goes super quick? Weird.
YES!!! Its really scary
I have found that having my phone on silent and across the room is really helpful
— VCE —

— University —

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 11:46:15 pm »
+3
the day doesn't go fast for teachers, that's for sure.

Maybe I feel added pressure since i'm the one helping to manage this entire experience at my school. We are using Microsoft Teams primarily. Can I just say that if your school is actually doing any sort of live / interactive things with you and/or your class, you should feel extremely lucky. Colleagues that i've spoken to at different schools - most are just putting lesson plans on portals and feeding their kids to the wolves. It is sad but look at it this way - it is such a good learning experience for uni.. that's for sure.

Also on the topic of teachers and interactivity - if your teacher is doing this, massive respect should go to them (if not already). To pull all this together in a few weeks is amazing. A lot of teachers at my school are older and to take technological risk like this is fantastic (often quite hard to do).

I did my own online learning classes - even though I teach junior school primarily its actually harder due to the fact we have to try and keep engagement up as well. There's no real consequence for lack of engagement.

I have plenty of stories but i'm sure you don't want to hear my dribble. Student experiences will probably sum it up nicely.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:48:54 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 12:08:17 am »
+2
-Virtual Backgrounds :) Seemed to be popular during the first few times but has definitely reduced since
-The awkward moment when you all are trying to leave the zoom meeting at the end.
My supervisor was mocking the virtual backgrounds today 😅
Also the exiting of the zoom meeting was hella awkward this afternoon too (not on my end though) 😅

Also tips on how to stop parents (specifically my mum) from camera bombing would be nice pls & ty 😅 (the only place in the house with a blank wall or something that isn't my sister's side of our room or me sitting in bed is the dining table. Mum always wonders into the kitchen and then bombs me, despite me clearly telling her do not disturb between blah and blah times 😅)

On the otherhand, my grade 3 brother has determined that it's all too stressful to do his set tasks at home, and refuses to do them-which isn't ideal in this situation 😅 I'm hoping that Google Classroom will help him out next week 😅
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:18 am »
+2
On the otherhand, my grade 3 brother has determined that it's all too stressful to do his set tasks at home, and refuses to do them-which isn't ideal in this situation 😅 I'm hoping that Google Classroom will help him out next week 😅
My sisters who are in Prep and Grade 1 are the same! They absolutely refuse to do it and my parents can't help them all the time because they are teaching classes online. and then when they do go to help them with their work they throw tantrums hahah
— VCE —

— University —